• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Apparently close to signing an experienced second rower too.
snip

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
On second thought, I wonder if the lock could be Hugh Pyle?
Had a quick google and he signed only two years for Stade Francais, and there has been no mention of him signing beyond 2015.

In addition, I came across this article:

Payto&Panda: ARU to take Wallabies v England Test to Allianz Stadium

• Iain Payten and Jamie Pandaram
  • The Daily Telegraph
  • June 18, 2015 9:30PM

snip

HUGH Pyle capped a strong season in the France by helping Stade Francais win the Top 14 premiership title at the weekend, by beating Clermont in the final.

We hear the former Rebels lock and Wallabies squad member is back in the sights of the ARU, and several Australian clubs, who are all keen to bring Pyle back home when his contract expires in France midway through next year.
Watch this space.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-allianz-stadium/story-fnp0m104-1227404775086
The plot thickens perhaps?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
IF the force sign do manage to sign Pyle you have a pretty formidable back 5:

4. Pyle

5. Coleman

6. Mafi

7. Cottrel

8. McCalman

I wonder if Nathan Charles doesn’t have much left in him? Planning the future around Sexton and Scoble with Tessman and Charles gone by the end of the next year?

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
IF the force sign do manage to sign Pyle you have a pretty formidable back 5:

4. Pyle

5. Coleman

6. Mafi

7. Cottrel

8. McCalman

I wonder if Nathan Charles doesn’t have much left in him? Planning the future around Sexton and Scoble with Tessman and Charles gone by the end of the next year?
Just need a coach!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
You are only forgetting the best player of the whole lot - Hodgo. He makes such a difference when he plays.

Hodgo at 7 and Cottrell to the bench but injuries will play a role as always. Not that Pyle has actually signed yet!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Edwin graduated from that esteemed academy, West Harbour Colts, straight into grade at Toulouse. Yes, even we were surprised! :eek:

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^

He played for Victorian Schools in 2012 and then moved to Sydney.

Saw him play in the Heineken Cup last season. He came off the bench and after some other player had to go off he played on the open side of the scrum which seemed odd because he looked bigger than the props and locks.

He plays mainly as a impact lock these days, but isn't much to be excited about because he has started in just seven games in three years (in a total of 35 matches).

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm sure there's some magnificent monster hanging around somewhere waiting for someone to show faith in them. Cfriff Tupou looked like a pretty nasty unit for city... most of the big units just need some quality coaching that's all. Oh wait, Michael Foley; forget it...

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Benny Taps had a great game for the Baa Baas yesterday, grabbing man of the match.

He made some great runs and touched down for two meat pies in the end.

Really great addition for the Force and hope he can team up with Godwin and get some more points on the board for the blue boys.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Let alone DHP. He's wasted on the wing of Lance goes to 15. Jono has been very good at 10 in the NRC.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Let alone DHP. He's wasted on the wing of Lance goes to 15. Jono has been very good at 10 in the NRC.

I had a feeling that Lance's departure from Qld originally was because he wanted to play 10, which didn't work out in NSW so hopefully he will get the chance in the Force. They could have a very good backline with Lance at 10, Taps at 12, Godwin at 13, and DHP at 15. Not sure who their wing options are but Grant could be bench cover for 10/12/15. This would allow them to play an attacking game with that backline, and they've certainly got some grunt in their forwards.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm still a little confused too. We may have one too many play makers and no crashing centre (I like a distributor and a bruiser, the sledgehammer and the rapier if you will).

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
An attacking game with their backline?
Have they got a new coach?

Ha! Yes, you're right but one can hope. I would hope that with an actual attacking 10 as opposed to a kicker, that they can put an attack together. To me, having a good playmaker at 10 is key, and they haven't had that before. Hopefully Lance can do it.

T

TOCC

I'm still a little confused too. We may have one too many play makers and no crashing centre (I like a distributor and a bruiser, the sledgehammer and the rapier if you will).

I would have thought that bigger crash ball type centres would better suit the game plan Foley seemingly wants to play, or at least one big centre to partner either Godwin or Tapuai.

10. Grant
12. Tapuai
13. Godwin
14. DHP
15. Lance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

born-red

Chris McKivat (8)
I would have thought that bigger crash ball type centres would better suit the game plan Foley seemingly wants to play, or at least one big centre to partner either Godwin or Tapuai.

10. Grant
12. Tapuai
13. Godwin
14. DHP
15. Lance

IMO, the force backline was most dangerous when Godwin was @ 12 and Junior was 13...not the other way around, But Junior did well on the wing as well...but interesting dilemna. Think the force are running short on impact O/Bs

9. Mathewson 10. Grant 11. Rasolea 12. Godwin 13. Tapuai 14. Morohan 15. DHP

21. Prior 22. Burton 23. Lance

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Lance is a Five Eighth / 2nd Five Eighth. I hope they don't do what the Reds did and waste him at Fullback.... although he did fill the roll admirably defending at 10 and attacking at 15. For me it's pretty clear what the back line should look like with the current roster:

9. Matthewson
10. Lance
11. Morohan
12. Godwin
13. Taps
14. Junior
15. DHP

The 3 of Godwin, Taps and Junior can all fill that physical crash ball between them pretty well. DHP and Morahan are both decent sized outside backs who can win contact. That physicality shouldn't be an issue. I think the only thing really missing is another FAST outside back. The rest looks pretty good with Prior, Grant and Burton on the bench.

Unfortunately with the Force having the 2nd most special coach in super rugby, behind the Reds, You'll probably continue to see the 10 man rugby with the kicking Five Eighth deployed.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I agree with the lineup above. Taps looked good playing 13 in the baa baas game and Godwin has played better at 12 than 13 so that should be the combo.

There must be a better option that Junior on the wing though that we can sign. Lachie Turner, Tom English, Cam Crawford as examples would be an improvement.

T

Train Without a Station

Surely there's a couple more Queenslanders you can shoehorn into that backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.