• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Lance is a Five Eighth / 2nd Five Eighth. I hope they don't do what the Reds did and waste him at Fullback.. although he did fill the roll admirably defending at 10 and attacking at 15. For me it's pretty clear what the back line should look like with the current roster:

9. Matthewson
10. Lance
11. Morohan
12. Godwin
13. Taps
14. Junior
15. DHP

The 3 of Godwin, Taps and Junior can all fill that physical crash ball between them pretty well. DHP and Morahan are both decent sized outside backs who can win contact. That physicality shouldn't be an issue. I think the only thing really missing is another FAST outside back. The rest looks pretty good with Prior, Grant and Burton on the bench.

Unfortunately with the Force having the 2nd most special coach in super rugby, behind the Reds, You'll probably continue to see the 10 man rugby with the kicking Five Eighth deployed.

Foley signed Grant as a foreign marquee and would have spent a decent amount on his wage, I think the intention will be to have Grant as starting fly-half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Foley signed Grant as a foreign marquee and would have spent a decent amount on his wage, I think the intention will be to have Grant as starting fly-half.

I agree.

However IMO it will be a huge shame/waste for both The Force and Lance if Grant starts over Jono.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good article on schoolboy joost - mentioned South african super rugby clubs circling with his dad a South African...

Assume force plans to offer him development squad place

Agree Jono lance would be wasted at 15 so assume will push grant for 10

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
Brynard Stander has signed until 2017 as well. The backrow has been sorted now - all existing backrowers now have contracts for 2016 or 16-17

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
2016 Squad so far

Props
Francios van Wyk 2017 (D)
Tetera Faulkner 2017
Chris Heiberg 2016 (D)
Ollie Hoskins 2016
Pek Cowan 2016
Guy Miller 2016 EPS

Hookers
Tom Sexton 2016
Nathan Charles 2016

Locks
Adam Coleman 2016
Rory Walton 2016
Steve Mafi 2016 (M)

Backrowers
Ben McCalman 2018
Matt Hodgson 2017
Brynard Stander 2017 (D)
Ross Haylett-Petty 2017
Angus Cottrell 2016
Chris Alcock 2016
Scrumhalves Ian Prior 2017
Ryan Louwrens 2017
Alby Mathewson 2016 (M)

Flyhalves
Luke Burton 2017
Peter Grant 2017 (M)

Centres

Ben Tapuai 2017
Marcel Brache 2017
Kyle Godwin 2016
Junior Rasolea 2016

Outside Backs
Dane Haylett-Petty 2017
Jono Lance 2017
Albert Nikoro 2016 (D)
Luke Morahan 2016
Mitchell Scott 2016 (D)
Brad Lacey 2016 EPS

(M) = Marquee Signing (3/3)

(D) = Development player

Future Force
Richard Hardwick
Kane Koteka
Harry Scoble
Onehunga Havili

Gone
Sias Ebersohn 2017 - Released
Wilhelm Steenkamp 2016 - Released
Nick Cummins 2015
Pat Dellit 2015
Sam Wykes 2015
Zack Holmes 2015
Robbie Abel 2015 EPS
Akihito Yamada 2015 - ARU concession signing

No Contract for 2016 as yet
Heath Tessman

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
You have Jono Lance as an outside back - surely he is a fly half/inside centre option, that's where he wants to play isn't it?

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surely Tessman will get a contract?? He's been playing very well in the NRC. Surprised he is not contracted yet.
They seem to need another lock. I believe Haylett-Petty Jnr is being groomed as a lock but they seem only an injury away from trouble in that position. The outside backs also look a touch short. What's the story with this Scott guy. Didn't even get a run last year did he? They need Morahan to find the form of a few years ago.
I like the look of Hardwick & Koteka. Koteka is a touch small for Super but plays well above weight.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is Scott still contracted, why is he playing ITM Cup and not NRC?

Yeah not sure why he is over there but I have heard he will be returning in 2016 so time will tell.

Who knows with Lance he could end up anywhere but i like him at 10 however its Foley....

Agree we are short at lock however there were rumours of us signing an experienced Australia lock followed by an article about Hugh Pyle returning to Australia 1 + 1 may = 2

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reckon we need 2 locks. One experienced and one development prospect. Some of the uncontracted NRC locks look good. I wonder if the Tahs will swoop on Matt Phillips.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Who knows with Lance he could end up anywhere but i like him at 10 however its Foley..

10/12. Nothing else. Look at how well he is controlling the game for the Rams at the moment. He is leading and holding that team together. Surely even Foley, in his infinite stupidity and lack of any rugby nous outside the forward pack, can see that. The Force could finally have a well rounded 10. Oh what a day that would be!

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Midfield looking a little lightweight....

I was worried we cut Millar loose (hence his stint in the ITM Cup) so it's good to see he is still contracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.