• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where are the fisherman here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sardyntjie

Those look great RB.I ddeveloped a taste for crab whilst living in Egypt.They get lots of crab in the Med.We arent so lucky here in Cape town. Nothing around worth eating.We do get crayfish and Perlemoen ( abalone ) , however .........and thats because of our very.....very....brrrrrrr.....cold waters.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
Virgil said:
jaysus with those bottom crabs its a matter of who's catching whom! :D

too bloody right, big muddies can easily take off a finger.

I have suffered a good wound on my finger from a medium size mud crab, and by Christ it hurt. These crabs don't look particularly quick, but they can reach out and lunge for hands/feet/anything in reach with staggering speed and precision. :eek: And once they've latched on, normally they don't let go. Instead they'll 'throw' their claw, leaving the claw clamped onto whatever they have grabbed, while they take off in the opposite direction. Normally the only way to get the claw off is by pliers.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
neybra, that crustacean looks like what we call prawns, only bigger and with different antennae. Very interesting!

Never got into abalone, but it's popular around the southern half of this country I think. As you touched on, I think it must be a cold water thing?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
RB I dont know the legislation around the fishing, sardien will know more but we do have some huge craps specially in the Knysna lagoon waters. As a child my folks use to camp there and we find some big ones over there. Will see if I can find some pictures around. Anyway they are more light brownies colour then yours. I find that reddish ones interesting. Maybe close sea waters?

Anyway we have mare crayfish around the west coast. Do you have this aasvoels of the sea in Aus?

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
PaarlBok said:
RB I dont know the legislation around the fishing, sardien will know more but we do have some huge craps specially in the Knysna lagoon waters. As a child my folks use to camp there and we find some big ones over there. Will see if I can find some pictures around. Anyway they are more light brownies colour then yours. I find that reddish ones interesting. Maybe close sea waters?

Anyway we have mare crayfish around the west coast. Do you have this aasvoels of the sea in Aus?

:lmao: that post was one of your best Paarl! ;)

Craps? Found some big craps in the lagoon waters did you? And they are lighter brown that ours? :p :D

And aasvoels? Sound like what delivers crap! ;)

Seriously are aasvoels crayfish? If so, yes we have some cold water varieties down around Tasmania and the sourthern part of WA, and also the delightfully colourful Painted Crays in reef waters. There is a massive commercial crayfishing industry over in Western Australia.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sorry RB I keep on forget about the Boer words in between. Aasvoels is those big buggers birds working on the remaining meat of a carcase of wild animals.

We use to call cray fish because thats what they do in the sea.

I grow up in a diamond restricted area on the Orange river mouth Alexander Bay. Only miners were aloowed to go fishing around a 100 km area south from the mouth. We caught easily 80 big crayfish from low to high water daily without even diving for them. We use line with wire and a netball type nett to lift them out of the water. Some of them have green mos and was really big ones. My dad use to crayfish tail as byte when fishing.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
are they sea birds Paarl? Giant Petrels perhaps? :-\

Holy shit, 80 crayfish in one tide, that's some seriously good fishing mate! How big are your crayfish over there?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Red Bull said:
are they sea birds Paarl? Giant Petrels perhaps? :-\

Holy shit, 80 crayfish in one tide, that's some seriously good fishing mate! How big are your crayfish over there?
No we use to call the seabirds "Onsievo?ls" meaning "Onsie" birds. The miners use to fed them their sandwiches and they call it "Onsie" Thomo have some of that birds on Facebook.

I promise you that crayfish we took them from under rocks at ankle deep water. It is a restricted area so they were well protected. When the Orange River were in flood they just walk out of the sea because of to much oxigen in the sea water. We do get this on the west coast area when we get red tide. It took 20 years for a crayfish to grow to the allowed catching size and the females have yellow eggs unter their tails. Those we use to throw back in the water.

The biggest crayfish I saw was about 40cm in length from head to end of tail and 15cm breed.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
'n Aasvoel = a vulture.

Happy now? ;D

There's a place up on Langebaan which I'm planning to go to next year as Mjfr. Thomond and I wend our happy way up the Weskus to Sandboerland and beyond, called Die Strandloper. Apparently, you can literally wander into the tide, come out with a crayfish, lob it to the lads in the kitchen and by the time you've towelled off, got your beer and sat down, it'll be there in front of you, in two neat, steaming, covered-in-garlic-and-lemon-butter halves. :thumb

And there's some huge ones up here, too. Saw one off Doolin while diving there last year that was about the same size as PB's one, and it wasn't that much bigger than the average ones there. Doolin's full of huge spider crabs as well, and a hell of a lot of lobster (one of the unsung triumphs of conservation up here - lobster's fished even more than it was, and numbers and sizes are, if anything, up, because of strict size and release policies which the fishermen hold to because they can see the return).

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomo you have to visit Muisbos Skerm at Lambertsbaai. I have been to the Strandloper one but Muisbos is the original one. Strandlope is fantastic tho. You can eat bokkom, harders , hotnos fish and the like at these places fresh from the coals.

My Mrs love seafood. For me Crayfish have to be cook at the sea in a drom. We use to throw them in the cooking sea water and they swim a bit before they are done. Plug off the voelhorings and park them down hill , so the water can run out at the broken voelhorings. Cook for 20 minutes in boiling water. Wait their the cool down , get the gifderm from the tail add a bit of its own mayonaise (the greenish in the top) and laat waai.

I saw on my day the Slaapstadters visiting us eat 20 of that red scorpions. My dad use to call them that and refuse blank to eat them because they look like a scorpion to him.

S

Sardyntjie

this is what fishing is about , chilling with mates.......starting with Ales , and as the sun sets , lighting a fire and opening the Wellies and coke.

Someone mentioned that you must always ensure you have enougth ice.

S

Sardyntjie

My first fishing stop was Knysna lagoon.We had a small rubber duck and trawled for Garrick ( Leervis ) , got into a shoal of small ones and had great fun with small sticks and 5 pound line.Wife hooked up first , but I came back strong. Fished off a pier near Brenton on the Bay , ( Knysna lagoon ). They seem to favour outcrops likr a jetty ( the Garrick ).

used imitaion lutres which we trawled.

( pictures of the fish are on the wifes phone....? ).

also tried flicking a lure from the shore , but they tended to favour the deeper channels.

S

Sardyntjie

Then went to the Goukama river mouth.

the brown water was because of the fresh water and the crap that comes down with it. As the seawater comes into the river , it clears upo and the Grunter and Steenbras come to the river mouth and scavenge off the stuff flowing in from the sea.

you find a spot where the river is narrow , and if you are wearing the right sunglasses , Polaroids , you can ssee the Grunter tailing off the banks.

we got three Grunter ( at least the wife got two and I got one. )
Also fishing with 5 pound tackle and small sticks , averaging around 55 centimetres.All were released safe.

The wife also got two Steenbras , so she was the star of the day.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nice pictures Boet. Did you get any skok visse in the Knysna lake. As a kid we camp there "Brenton on Lake" and I was shite scare to step on those.

S

Sardyntjie

Did some fishing off a spot close to the home as well. Caught some small kob , in the 2.5 to 4 kg mark.This spot is about 15 ks from my home.

You fish at low tide because you need to get distance to cast just before the kelpbeds , where the kob lurk. Fished with Sards and chokka.

you fish where the placemark is and cast towards the dark patch which is the kelpbeds.You use a 14 foot/13 fooot rod with a baitcaster and about 12kg breaking strain line.

S

Sardyntjie

PaarlBok said:
When we have weather like today and yesterday I am longing like hell to the beach.

those first few pics with my mates , they were off Strandfontein , it was a great evening , no wind , and we fished till 1 a.m. in the morning.The one guy , the younger one , finished 21 beers and 4 brandys and cokes in that time.....fark.
All we caught that night was sea barble and some small juvenile kob.We were fishing for Dagga Salmon , with big surf sticks and baitsacters. I was using full and half Sadines and after high came in I switched to bloodworm and tried for Steeenbras. No luck on either mind you , just lots of those horrible barble.They have poisonous spikes and you need to be carefull.

check the spike on the dorsal and the two pectoral fins.

S

Sardyntjie

hey scarfie , why do my pics come out so small.........????? :angryfire:

S

Sardyntjie

KABELJOU
Argyrosomus Japonicus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also known as COB, KOB, DAGA, SALMON OR SNOTTY, this fish is plentiful in the surf and in the many estuaries of the Eastern Cape. Its name is derived from [ Argyrosomus] meaning silver body and [Japonicus] waiting for translation as this is the "new" species name given after many years of thinking it was [Hololepidotus]. This species is now known as the DUSKY COB and there is much concern about the depletion of stock due to over exploitation of this fish.It has a long body body,getting thick towards the shoulder area, its overall colour is silvery and has a pearly- pink sheen in its live form, a row of"portholes" can be seen on its flanks, its fins are a translucent dusky colour. The Cobs diet consists of small fish, prawns, crabs and when available squid. To hunt their prey they rely on smell and sense, instead of sight. This will account for why they are often caught at night and in discoloured water .
The Cob is a sluggish fighter, strikes fairly hard and then takes off on a short run.Will normally sound when nearing a boat. This is a good fish for the beginer to target as it does not have too many tricks to perform on the unsuspecting angler.Tackle recommended is a 6to8 weight, and a tippet of 10 kg should be strong enough, the Cob has small sharp teeth, but are not saw like.,and unlikely to cut your line.Flies to use are ,Streamer,Deciever, Tarpon or any fly with a longish tail, good colours are red/yellow, pink/blue,and green/white. Cob are not that fussy so we suggest"match the hatch" for best results, the retrieve should be steady and not to fast.Hookups will occur throughout the day but without doubt just before sunrise and just after sunset produce the best results. March/April and August September October are considered the best although catches can be made almost any time.

As this species is under threat please keep only one fish between 1 and 5 kg, return all the rest.

my new spot at Melkbos is proving to be a good producer of Salmon/kob.I got a nice snapper after half an hours effort and was back on my way home.
Wife cooked the best fish dish I have yet tasted.I am hooked.

Took the fillets and laid it in a shallow baking dish in a sauce of fresh cream , lemon juice and rosemary.
Baked them , having turned the fillets once , until cooked.
Served it with a potatoe bake.

hhhhmmmmmmm.....it was delicious.

I must say that my rig that I am using seems to do the trick.

I use fluro carbon......5kg for the leader. I am hooked on flurocarbon after my successs with Grunter , as they are extremely shy fish. I use a running trace and a small float/half cork , behing a fluroescent bead ( green ). I use a 5 O hook. My bait is always a half sardine for kob. Either the head or the tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.