• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where are the fisherman here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
You must try Ysterfontein at some time. Well I got two krewe from my sons father in law already cooked. Well I did not even had a taste of it. My Mrs love seafood and she ate them lock, stock and barrel. Sardyntjie I have gave you a lot of potjie recipies, help me with a prawn one or a sidefood potjie one. I want to make one at some stage (wednesday I turn 49) so maybe had one over the weekend with my friends and family. I saw over the weekend at my favourate Paarl butvher he have some cleaned white already cleaned Afvalle. Its been a time since I had Kings food but then its only me enjoying it. The others run out of the house when we are cooking them except my Mrs will enjoy it the next day and may eat a poot or two. Still have some thinking to do but I need a special seafood one.

S

Sardyntjie

Sorry PB .My claim to fame with the Potjie is lighting the fire and handing over to the Missus. She is very protective over her pot and wont tell me what goes in. ( I suppose that a way to keep me wanting more ).

But that recipe I gave for the Salmon is a winner.Its easy and very very tasty. I only got that recipe cause I watched the Missus do it. >:D

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sardyntjie said:
Sorry PB .My claim to fame with the Potjie is lighting the fire and handing over to the Missus. She is very protective over her pot and wont tell me what goes in. ( I suppose that a way to keep me wanting more ).

But that recipe I gave for the Salmon is a winner.Its easy and very very tasty. I only got that recipe cause I watched the Missus do it. >:D
After being marry for 23 years on the 12th, Saturday, I always watch my back with the Mrs. You better watch that before ending up without a Mrs or in a grave in a short time broer, specially when it comes to food. :nta:

Next time she do the Seafood one, watch, learn and share your knowledge. :huxley

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Go to Olympia in Kalk Baai. I love kabeljou anyway (although it's on the orange list, so you shouldn't be eating it... :(), but the way that they do it in Olympia is beyond description.

Have the lemon tart. It is, I can confidently say, the best I've ever tasted, across several continents and many years of a search for the Platonic lemon tart. :D :D :D :D :D :thumb

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:
Go to Olympia in Kalk Baai. I love kabeljou anyway (although it's on the orange list, so you shouldn't be eating it... :(), but the way that they do it in Olympia is beyond description.

Have the lemon tart. It is, I can confidently say, the best I've ever tasted, across several continents and many years of a search for the Platonic lemon tart. :D :D :D :D :D :thumb
Then you owe me a visit. My Mrs speciality tart. Tomorrow is birthday time and I have to take three of them for the people at work and of course chocolate cake with cooked condense milk.. Those two, she loves to bake.

S

Sardyntjie

Thomond78 said:

we are regulars at Olympia. But not for their food , for their baked pastries like Pastege and crunchies. For food we travel across the railway line to Kalky s.GUARRANTEED TO BLOW YOUR DIET.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Olympia fish. And their baked stuff.

Mmmmmmmm... :p :D :D :D :D :D

In other news, great write-up on fishing in False Bay in today's Irish Times, including, no doubt to Fuller's secret delight, news that there were new record bronze and raggies caught in the last year.

And even better news - after just one year of the drift-net ban, half the shut rivers and lakes are being re-opened for salmon. Last year's runs were the biggest in decades. This means not just salmon for us, but salmon for everyone in Britain, Norway, even the efforts to restore salmon going up the Rhine.
:yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :praying: :thumb

S

Sardyntjie

Thomond78 said:
Olympia fish. And their baked stuff.

Mmmmmmmm... :p :D :D :D :D :D

In other news, great write-up on fishing in False Bay in today's Irish Times, including, no doubt to Fuller's secret delight, news that there were new record bronze and raggies caught in the last year.

And even better news - after just one year of the drift-net ban, half the shut rivers and lakes are being re-opened for salmon. Last year's runs were the biggest in decades. This means not just salmon for us, but salmon for everyone in Britain, Norway, even the efforts to restore salmon going up the Rhine.
:yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :praying: :thumb

I have been testing the product to make sure its good enough for Thommonds consumption. :p

S

Sardyntjie

Every year , I arrange a team buiilding , pissup , fishing trip for top management in the group and top customers.This year in March , its De Mond. Here is the Invitation sent to the select few.This year the group is restricted to 6.That includes a proffessional fisherman/guide. So spots are tight and there is a lot of Josstling for a spot. So far we are keeping it to the family in the business ( 3 of us ) , and 2 clients.

WELCOME to all those joining us this year for our annual fishing trip to De Mond , near Bredasdorp.

The trip is booked for March 28 ( arrival date ) , to March 30 ( departure date )
We will be staying in a self catering cabin on the river front , in the De Mond Nature Reserve. As shown on this Google Earth picture. The cabin is right in the middle .

All the food and drinks will be catered for. All that is required is that you bring your fishing tackle along , sleeping bags and clothes for that period ( include a hat/peak that will cover your neck ) as well as a foldable deck chair , to sit on the jetty. There is an opportunity to do some beach fishing from the river mouth , but this would require a rather long trek carrying your gear , as boats are not allowed at the estuarie.

Fishing gear to take along for the river would be gear that is fairly light in nature. Rods of 10 foot maximum and reels such as coffee grinders are perfect for the river . The line can be light , I am fishing with 5 pound nylon and a small bait rod. It is also a great destination for the fly fisherman. If you can and have access to a fly rod , bring it along.At the river mouth , 13? or 14? rods with pen type reels are essential.
What is an estuarie.

Definition
In the southern African context the following is a generally accepted definition of an estuary. ?It is a partially enclosed, coastal body of water which is either permanently or periodically open to the sea and within which, there is a measurable variation of salinity due to the mixture of sea water with fresh water derived from land drainage? (Day 1980). Such water bodies are therefore linked to a river, stream or other freshwater input at one and to the sea at the other.
(7) Tides
Tides play a predominant roll in flyfishing/fishing as this effects where you will find fish.The best tide to fish is a Neap Tide but every river has a preferred tide, it all depends on which river you fish. It is easier to find fish on a low Neap tide as there is less water and hiding places for fish. The tide is effected by the moon, every 14 days the moon changes from Full to New Moon and this results in Spring or Neap Tides.The best time to fish is when you have severe water movement and the tide is the result of this occurrence. It is very important to plan your outing according to the tide,as your fish prefer certain areas of the river during a tide. As the tide starts to push make sure that you are on the dropp-off as allot of new food will be entering the river. Where you find food you'll find fish. The best time to fish the drop-off is two hours before high tide on a Spring Tide and one hour before high tide on a Neap Tide.

The tides for the period are as follows???

28 00H08 0.78 L
06H22 1.48 H
12H37 0.76 L
19H00 1.38 H
29 00H53 0.89 L
07H09 1.36 H
13H36 0.86 L
20H14 1.3 H
30 02H30 0.98 L
08H41 1.27 H
15H35 0.91 L
22H24 1.31 H
31 04H59 0.94 L
11H03 1.29 H
17H23 0.85 L
23H52 1.42 H

MOON PHASES ARE?..

Friday, March 28, 2008 Moon Rises: 21:59 Moon Sets: 12:18

The moon will be 21 days into the current cycle.It will be 404283 km from earth and in the Last quarter phase.
The moons position is : -4.42 Ecliptic Latitude and 261.8 Ecliptic longitude.
Will be in Scorpio Zodiac.
Saturday, March 29, 2008 Moon Rises: 22:54 Moon Sets: 13:09

The moon will be 22 days into the current cycle.It will be 401260 km from earth and in the Last quarter phase.
The moons position is : -3.72 Ecliptic Latitude and 273.69 Ecliptic longitude.
Will be in Sagittarius Zodiac.
Sunday, March 30, 2008 Moon Rises: 23:54 Moon Sets: 13:54

The moon will be 23 days into the current cycle.It will be 396966 km from earth and in the Last quarter phase.
The moons position is : -2.83 Ecliptic Latitude and 285.83 Ecliptic longitude.
Will be in Sagittarius Zodiac.

TRACES AND TACKLE TO TAKE ALONG.

GRUNTER / STEENBRAS TRACE

This rig is perfect for Grunter and Steenbras along the river. Sinker can be a barrel sinker or ball sinker. And a 2 O size hook.

PINKY / MOONFISH TRACE

Pinky trace . This is good for Moonies and blacktail , which can be used as bait. Small hooks and the sinker can be a bank sinker.

You can buy ready made pinky traces , with 10 traces in a pack.

KOB TRACE

Once again bank/sputnik sinkers or pyramid sinkers are good. This is normally in the surf so pyramids work best. A 5 O Hook at least must be used. I also use a fluorescent bead before the hook to attract the fishes attention. The float can be a cork , or half a cork.

LEERVIS LURES.

These are essentially lures .There are many on the market and your fishing shop dealer will advise you. I like a popper or a minnow lure fished with jigheads.

Otherwise a live bait trace can be used.

Types of fish you will encounter at the De Mond Estuarie.
Below are the main species that we target while flyfishing/fishing our estuaries. A number of other species have also been caught on fly but for the mean time we will concentrating these different species.

KABELJOU
Argyrosomus Japonicus Also known as COB, KOB, DAGA, SALMON OR SNOTTY, this fish is plentiful in the surf and in the many estuaries of the Eastern Cape. It has a long body body,getting thick towards the shoulder area, its overall colour is silvery and has a pearly- pink sheen in its live form, a row of"portholes" can be seen on its flanks, its fins are a translucent dusky colour. The Cobs diet consists of small fish,prawns, crabs and when available squid,. To hunt their prey they rely on smell and sense, instead of sight. This will account for why they are often caught at night and in discoloured water . The Cob is a sluggish fighter, strikes fairly hard and then takes off on a short run.Will normally sound when nearing a boat. This is a good fish for the beginer to target as it does not have too many tricks to perform on the unsuspecting angler, the Cob has small sharp teeth, but are not saw like.,and unlikely to cut your line. Cob are not that fussy so we suggest"match the hatch" for best results, the retrieve should be steady and not to fast.Hookups will occur throughout the day but without doubt just before sunrise and just after sunset produce the best results. March/April and August September October are considered the best although catches can be made almost any time.As this species is under threat please keep only one fish between 1 and 5 kg, return all the rest.

LEERVIS
Lichia amia
Also known as GARRICK, this aggressive predator is widespread in the Eastern Cape,both in estuaries and in the surf line.Its name is derived from [lichia] meaning corpse-like, a reference to its leathery grey like skin; [amia] an ancient name for bonito like fish. It has distinctive body shape with tiny scales, a very pronounced lateral line and its colour is prodminantly silver /grey, with tinges of blue/green on its shoulder and back. These fish feed mainly on Shad,Mullet,Streepies and Pinkies. They can be seen in the shallows , "herding" schools of Mullet before they tear into them, this is a sign to look for when hunting the Leervis.A clean fighter, the leerie will take off on an initial long run close to the surface moving extremely fast,thereafter its runs will be shorter but just as strong, you will normally see the fins slicing through the water during the fight and as it gets closer to the angler it will "boil"on the surface.Although you will hook up at any time of the day we find early morning and evening to be "prime" time, particularly on a falling tide and disturbed surface water. September through May are the months that most fish are takenEnjoy catching this mighty fish , and please revive it and release it so your children can one day have the same pleasure.

Spotted Grunter
(Pomadasys commersonnil)The Spotted Grunter has a long, compressed body with a long, sloping forehead and pointed snout. The body is silver-brown with distinct mother-of-pearl sheen on upper flanks. The dorsal surface is covered with rows of small dark brown spots which extend onto the dorsal fins but not the head. There is a black blotch on the gill covers and the fins are translucent or dusky.DistributionThis is an Indian Ocean species extending along the East coast of Africa to Cape Agulhas. Also occurs in the far east.FeedingThey feed on worms, crabs, mud prawns and cracker shrimps, sea lice and bivalves. Spotted grunter are often seen with their tails waving out of the water on shallow banks during feeding. They use a pump action in the form of jets of water through the mouth to blow prey out of the sand. They inhabit shallow coastal regions, bays, brackish water of estuaries or sheltered lagoons and can tolerate fresh water. Tagging results suggest this species is resident. One individual was caught, tagged and re-caught 8 years later in the same place.ReproductionSpotted grunter spawn in open sea from late winter (July to December). The newly hatched fry and post-spawning adults make their way into estuaries.GrowthMaturity is at 40 cm or approximately 3 years. They can attain a size of 80 cm and the SA record is 9,5 kg (greater than 15 years old).FisheryThis is a fine table fish caught by surf fishermen and spear fishermen. Scientific knowledge of the population status of this species is limited. However, it is vulnerable due to its reliance on estuaries.
Management Minimum size 40 cm, Bag limit 5 per person per day , No closed season, A recreational fish that may not be sold

White Steenbras, large inshore fish occurring only along the coast of South Africa. The white steenbras can grow up to 1 m (3 ft 4 in) in length and attain a weight of 30 kg (66 lb). The body is silver with several slightly darker vertical bars down its length. The head is large with a long, tapering snout and thick lips. The fish frequents estuaries and relatively shallow waters off sandy beaches. It is a popular angling fish as it puts up a good fight, and its firm, white flesh makes excellent eating.
The white steenbras feeds on burrowing invertebrates such as the bloodworm and the sandprawn. These it 'blows' from their burrows with a strong jet of water. The prey is taken into the mouth whole and ground by the flat teeth. When feeding in shallow water, the tails of the white steenbras often thrash the surface, a phenomenon known as tailing.
During winter, adult fish undertake a spawning migration to the eastern coast of South Africa. The eggs and larvae drift south and westward in the Agulhas current, and end up in estuaries along the south coast of South Africa. These estuaries are important nursery areas for the white steenbras, providing it with abundant food and shelter from predators.
Scientific classification: The white steenbras is placed in the family Sparidae. It is classified as Lithognathus lithognathus. The name is derived from lithos (stone) and gnathos (jaw), and refers to their grinding, stone-like teeth.

Fishing rods and reels

For surf fishing.

for river fishing

Fly fishing

How to get there.

Take the N2 Caledon. Turn into Caledon and travel through Caledon towards Bredasdorp. From Bredasdorp follow route 316 to Waenhuiskraal , until you see a signboarded road on your right indicating De Mond. Its a dirt road .

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sound like great fun Sardyntjie. Good to see Struisbaai on your map. Did you know Struisbaai got the longest sandy beach in the SH? 20+ kilo's. De Mond is included there. Me and Mrs and dog, LuLu walked every morning at sunrise, 05h00 all the way from Struisbaai past de Mond. Beautifull area and maybe I will buy myself a place in that area. Plots going R500,000 in that area.

Dont know if you ever got to suider strand. The beach is just past the most southern point to the west. There is some unbelievable sights and also a fishermans dream.

Just one question I dont see Yellow Tail on your list? and I will recommend if the weather is bad to go and have a go at Pelican, at the Struisbaai harbour. You have to eat outside and try a pannetjie seafrood or line fish of the day. Unbelieveable and you wont get those in Slaapstad or anywhere.

Edit: Will upload a few pictures I took along the coast line this december. Still try to get over the holiday blues and havent got the guts to do it thus far. :nta:

S

Sardyntjie

PaarlBok said:
Sound like great fun Sardyntjie. Good to see Struisbaai on your map. Did you know Struisbaai got the longest sandy beach in the SH? 20+ kilo's. De Mond is included there. Me and Mrs and dog, LuLu walked every morning at sunrise, 05h00 all the way from Struisbaai past de Mond. Beautifull area and maybe I will buy myself a place in that area. Plots going R500,000 in that area.

Dont know if you ever got to suider strand. The beach is just past the most southern point to the west. There is some unbelievable sights and also a fishermans dream.

Just one question I dont see Yellow Tail on your list? and I will recommend if the weather is bad to go and have a go at Pelican, at the Struisbaai harbour. You have to eat outside and try a pannetjie seafrood or line fish of the day. Unbelieveable and you wont get those in Slaapstad or anywhere.

Edit: Will upload a few pictures I took along the coast line this december. Still try to get over the holiday blues and havent got the guts to do it thus far. :nta:

Yellowtail arent esturine fish , PB . The guys that are going along are more there for the pissup than the Fishing. Although this is the first year that the old man is going along ( he is the big noomsaan and we hardly ever hear or see him ), and he has just come back from a fishing expidition in Africa , where he got some good Tiger fish.So he is keen to go for it , and targetting specific fish makes it a challenge as we issue prizes afterwards for 1. Biggest bag , biggest fish , biggest variety , most miserable in camp , most entertaining in camp etc.Thats why I give the boys as much data as possible , so we dont have to babysit them.Then the guide and I go off ( they sometimes tag along ) and do some serious fishing.As long as they have wood for a fire , Booze and mix , and food that they can cook over a fire and a place to sleep , they are happy.The guide is great , ( this is his second year with us ) , because his wife does all the catering , like potatoe salads etc. and buying all the provisions , ( as an outside caterer that is
).

S

Sardyntjie

This whole thing started off with a couple of mates , and now its a yearly tradition and the boys do anything to be a part of it. Next year I am booking Witsands so I can get more people in and also do some boat fishing.It takes a years planning , and thank goodness for the women that assist. This year , all the wives are treating themselves to a wweekend at a spa. They still have to put the proposal on my ddesk , but there is a lot of whispering going on. >:D

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sardyntjie said:
This whole thing started off with a couple of mates , and now its a yearly tradition and the boys do anything to be a part of it. Next year I am booking Witsands so I can get more people in and also do some boat fishing.It takes a years planning , and thank goodness for the women that assist. This year , all the wives are treating themselves to a wweekend at a spa. They still have to put the proposal on my ddesk , but there is a lot of whispering going on. >:D
Why dont you include the families? I usually hate the men only thing, I always end in trouble. When the families are included its much more fun.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
G'day fellow fishers, been off the boards a fair bit due to some work related issues which i won't bore you with, however I have just done a fishing-related wahoo painting for my wall at home, and hopefully I can get a few similar (commemorative) commissions for keen anglers in the future.

Also did a recent illustration for Fishing World magazine, which has been published in the January issue. Happy days!

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Bloody impressive mate, i think you would have a better chance of making money if you painted semi (fully) naked chicks ;D

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
Virgil said:
Bloody impressive mate, i think you would have a better chance of making money if you painted semi (fully) naked chicks ;D

problem is, Virg, they wouldn't stay still long enough to allow me to apply the paint. ;D

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Red Bull said:
Virgil said:

problem is, Virg, they wouldn't stay still long enough to allow me to apply the paint. ;D
As long as they smell fishy , you should be OK broer. Glad to see you back! :thumb

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
for anyone interested, see below for a pencil sketch concept I've had for my next project......

If I can't get a chance to actually go fishing, then I might as well draw the fish. :thumb

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Red Bull said:
for anyone interested, see below for a pencil sketch concept I've had for my next project......

If I can't get a chance to actually go fishing, then I might as well draw the fish. :thumb

In a Borat voice..."Its a niceee!"
Whos the figure in the background on the boat?, looks too small to be the artist who drew this fine picture :D

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
well I showed my brother, and he thought the skipper up on the flybridge looked like Bigfoot. :lmao: Not far wrong either. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.