• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WTC and Ashes 2023

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Feel like I’m gonna wake up to England declaring at 7/450 with Root on 140

384/4 which is potentially worse with Stokes & Brooks in, Bairstow next & going at five-plus an over. Could be facing a really big first innings deficit.

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The dam wall broke overnight. The boys had been valiantly keeping England at bay but I said at the beginning of the series that there would be times when their bats got hold of us and today was it.

It'll be very interesting to see how our guys respond today, because I have the real feeling of the momentum of the series switching decisively in England's favour. If we can limit the damage on D3 we may be able to save the game, but the odds are now against it.

The weather may yet intervene, because thundery showers are forecast for Friday and Saturday. I'd suggest our guys do their best rain dance.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've got real questions over:

1) temperament of our batsmen - particularly some of the dismissals like Head and Marnus

2) selections

3) fielding plan

Saw some genuine rubbish in the first session. The sun coming out has once again been a curse England did not suffer, but some genuine pies have been delivered

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Said it previously and nothing changes my mind - Cummins is an excellent player and good bloke, but tactically just not good enough to be the captain. I'm not sure who else would be the option but I don't think it should be him.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Said it previously and nothing changes my mind - Cummins is an excellent player and good bloke, but tactically just not good enough to be the captain. I'm not sure who else would be the option but I don't think it should be him.
I agree his naivety in field placements and bowling plans sometimes are his undoing but for this match I think our top 6 have to shoulder most of the blame. Really since the first match we haven't been converting starts in the top order which is letting England back in.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
We've seen Smith Captain the team when Pat has been out and he's the best all around Cricketer in the team. If he's given the job when Cummins has been out they can't say he's ineligible due to the past for the fulltime role.

I get it's not what the Australian team do. Generally Captains depart the team when they lose the role.

We don't have anyone knocking down the door who sit in the sweet spot of their career. Carey is probably the best of the bunch because every 6 months Head seems to go through a period where he looks like he'll be dropped with another off Test. Green (too young) Marnus (too chaotic)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I agree his naivety in field placements and bowling plans sometimes are his undoing but for this match I think our top 6 have to shoulder most of the blame. Really since the first match we haven't been converting starts in the top order which is letting England back in.

And what shits me is the rash bullshit when the wicket has been as flat as any of them.

Besides a little bit of swing under cloud, England did not much more than bowl in the right areas for their field.

What happened to top-of-off all day? That's how McGrath got his wickets.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
And what shits me is the rash bullshit when the wicket has been as flat as any of them.

Besides a little bit of swing under cloud, England did not much more than bowl in the right areas for their field.

That also shits me to no end because we kept our heads earlier in the series when bowling and got on top relatively quickly.

It's like total cognitive dissonance when we then tried to reinvent the wheel after Stokes made a score (but still lost the second match). It's drawing the exact wrong conclusions from the data inputs.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think both sides have been bad at bowling to the tail end - endless bouncers at tail enders to draw an error. But when the very first ball to a new lower order batsman in by Cummins or Hazelwood I think is a bouncer, there's something wrong in that thinking.

Maybe they're trying to get too complicated with their plans - bowl to make them play and get an edge, bowl at the top of off. Bowling short pitched rubbish takes out nearly two thirds of all dismissals! As a fast/medium bowler myself I'm getting super frustrated.

Agent

Alfred Walker (16)

I said that exact thing during the 2nd test when that debacle went down. The top-of-off theory has well and truly gone out the window this series. I think the Aussies are becoming flustered by the Bazball tactics the Poms are playing and are now running around like headless chickens. We are forgetting about the basics that have worked well for years in any conditions.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well it should obviously be Smith.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I’ll deliver it myself
Pie.jpeg

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm at my brother-in-law's, and keeping track on my phone. It's that bad I'm not sure I want to listen to the rest of the game