• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WTC and Ashes 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I agree that they are playing better cricket but the blind foaming at the mouth shit coming from supporters like they are Brazil in Soccer is a bit much.

I still think it masking a weak/ageing bowling group by trying to out pressure on the opposition. Anderson is done. Broad bowling well but old. Waokes, Wood both in their 30s and Robinson is a joke.
Aging attack verse an aging batting line up.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
England are fully huffing their own farts with Bazball and talking about elevating the game, moral victories etc. I hope we win this test solely so they may pipe down.

And to upset Piers Morgan even more.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm actually liking the "Bazball" thing too Reg - I remember many dour Ashes series with stodgy poms blocking all night long (and stubborn Aussies doing exactly the same).

I think the biggest test for Bazball was really going to be coming up against Australia. Their toughest series was probably NZ before this. Going to be interesting to see how they go in India, possibly similar to Pakistan (as that's where it sort of kicked off).

Hopefully Australia can take something out of the series as well as a win at The Oval.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Not being nuanced in our bowling has hurt us the most this series imo.

We, for the most part, have fought fire with water but when conditions got flat we went full body line and other than part of one innings it didn't work. We've also become simpler in our thinking as the series has gone on, not smarter.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I still think it masking a weak/ageing bowling group by trying to out pressure on the opposition. Anderson is done. Broad bowling well but old. Waokes, Wood both in their 30s and Robinson is a joke.

Starc is 33, Hazlewood 32, Cummins 30 and Lyon 35.

Whilst he's a complete tool Ollie Robinson has 76 test wickets at an average of 22.21. That's slightly better than Pat Cummins' bowling average which is the best of our bowlers. In certain conditions his bowling is excellent.

We are not a long way off pretty wholesale changes to our test team. By the time of the next Ashes tour of England in 2027 it's conceivable that Labuschagne, Head and Green are the only remaining players from our current best XI.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Didn't realise Robinson is 29 as well. Assumed he was younger for some reason.

I'm not saying we don't need change in the near future, I'm just commenting on how England's style of play is built to offset another factor in their team. I think we need to use next summer v Pakistan & West Indies to get some bowlers in and see how they fare like Morris, Richardson.

I hope that Smith and Carey will at least see the next home Ashes series.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The extra bounce of Aussie pitches may be a challenge for them.
Too true, as it was in the last Ashes tour here in 2021/22.

I had a chat with Paul Reiffel at a pub in Sydney in autumn last year. I particularly commended him and the other two Aussie umpires on their officiating in that series. We discussed the many reviews both sides made (Paul told me EVERY decision is checked by the umpire markers) when I opined the Poms wasted many reviews for LBW; Paul confirmed the Poms didn't take the extra bounce from Australian pitches into account.

TBH is well on the ball here.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yep, that was probably our worst batting performance of the series - England definitely have a big sniff here.

They will come out tails up and blaze away

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’d say England just ahead right now. Batting last is always harder.

Slight chance of day 5 rain but I wouldn’t say enough to ruin a game since were half way through after 2 days.

Saw a stat a few years ago that a team chasing the lowest total of the match was something like three times as likely to get them as a team chasing the highest total of the match. I doubt that's changed all that much since. One of your blokes really needs to run through the Eng to leave your batters a relatively low target.