• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WTC and Ashes 2023

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Been thinking about selections for Manchester.

I'd be seriously looking at dropping Warner. Promote Head to open, push Mitch 5, Green back in at 6, Hoff to replace Boland and maybe even Neser for Murphy if the track doesn't look like it will turn.

That's way more changes that we normally make and allrounder heavy, but..... it lengthens the batting order (runs from the tail has been a problem), deals with a top order issue and maybe brings in a bloke who swings the ball in English conditions.

Bat first, bat for two days. Make England make all the running, they need to win this game, not us.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Head is the only option to Open if you are to drop Warner. He’s done it in the ODIs.

I tend to think they won’t drop Warner to not force other changes through the lineup. I hope they do.

I trust Murphy and think he can do a job. If they want to go after him it also raises the chance of wickets. When will we trust him? He’s made himself the next in line through performance.

Theres been talk of marnus opening and everyone moving up a spot.

Just so long Harris doesn't get picked I'm happy with whoever replaces Warner at the top of the order

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Head is the only option to Open if you are to drop Warner. He’s done it in the ODIs.

I tend to think they won’t drop Warner to not force other changes through the lineup. I hope they do.

I trust Murphy and think he can do a job. If they want to go after him it also raises the chance of wickets. When will we trust him? He’s made himself the next in line through performance.

I trust Murphy as well, I'm more thinking about the conditions over head and of the track. If they don't look like favouring spin then I reckon Neser should be considered.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
England with an unchanged squad which means Robinson will be replaced with Anderson or Tongue. Ali apparently wants the number 3 spot which seems dumb given they have Joe Root but good luck to him...

I'm warning to the multiple all rounder theory, especially when they have such good recent form. England have three and so could we but Murphy is a talented bowler that takes wickets. It's a challenge for Cummins who probably doesn't ever have to really lead Lyon.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Root averages 39 at 3 and 52 at 4, so I can understand him wanting to stay where he is. He does more damage in the middle order. That does leave a hole at first drop for them though. Surely Moeen isn't the answer, but maybe the skipper will put himself up there.

Last edited:

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I initially didn't like the thought of Head opening but it does cause a dilemma for the English. Do they try to bounce him out because of his weakness with the short ball and fuck up the new ball? Or do they try to nibble him through the off where he is strongest? There's a lot of potential upside if he hangs around through the first session.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Mitch Marsh could handle the opening spot, and then the rest of the batting lineup remains unchanged. Mitch could either do a "bazball" and tear the Pommie attack apart, or go early and be no worse than Warner. In any case, I believe Warner has to be dropped. His form is non-existent atm.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Australia need to show some trust in Murphy. 7 overs in the 1st innings and 2 in the second isn't enough.

I think the shortness of the match dictated this more than anything.

We bowled 52.3 overs in the first innings and 50 in the second.

If the match had gone longer then I think he would have bowled a fair bit more. As it was, the most overs in the first innings were 18 from Cummins who took 6 wickets and 16 by Starc in the second innings who took 5.

Boland only bowled 21 for the match and Marsh bowled 9.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd like to see Neser play too - he's just been tearing up at County level. I think Postman Pat didn't bowl Murphy well in the second innings - only one over before lunch, and then brought him on with the batsmen with their eye in.

But yes, Warner needs to go, I don't care if he wants a swansong in Sydney anymore.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm hesitant to move Head back to opener. He's been so important in our middle order and is flourishing.

I'd probably open with Labuschagne. His form hasn't been great but likewise we probably have less to lose and he's most suited to the job.

One of the major reasons Warner has survived so long is that there isn't really a logical successor. I personally could never justify pulling the pin for Harris to come in because Harris has had multiple goes and his record is awful.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I've shifted in my thinking and would be comfortable seeing Marsh open the batting. Leaving the rest of the line up where it is. Why cause more change if we are unsure if Head or Marsh would be better at it. Head has had his best year to date for Australia and his counter attacks are valuable.

Boland just hasn't been effective so far and looks to be a guy the English can relax against in between spells from Cummins and Starc. It's a valid point about the overs and why Murphy wasn't used but with the style England are playing with and the total being on the low side he should have been brought on really early when the English were definitely batting in a traditional manner and seemed cognisant of protecting there wicket. Crawley, Duckett and Brook wouldn't have been able to help themselves and he may have gone for a boundary but I reckon he would have been a huge chance for a few catches/stumpings.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Marnus seems to really take pride in that 3 spot. Despite lacking performances I think in the long run it would be better to try and retain the line up as much as possible. Smith is a 4 and I wouldn't want Head and especially Green or Carey coming down any earlier against the newer ball in these conditions. Renshaw is not technically in the squad but has been around. Marsh probably can't be dropped though given his ton so might fill that role.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
It's a valid point about the overs and why Murphy wasn't used but with the style England are playing with and the total being on the low side he should have been brought on really early when the English were definitely batting in a traditional manner and seemed cognisant of protecting there wicket. Crawley, Duckett and Brook wouldn't have been able to help themselves and he may have gone for a boundary but I reckon he would have been a huge chance for a few catches/stumpings.

Yes, he should have been given a bowl a bit earlier. He was brought on when Stokes was starting to try to hit everyone out of the park. I thought Murphy did quite well all things considered against Stokes. He might have conceded a couple of boundaries each over but he mixed things up and eventually got Stokes out. Having said that, yes I agree he should have got a bowl a bit earlier against the top order.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Listening to Cricket, Et Cetera today they flagged the possibility of no changes at all, meaning Green would miss out. I hadn't even considered that truthfully given the Australian cricket team is almost famous for reinstating the injured incumbent, in this case Green, despite the successes of whomever replaced them. Green is also so hyped, I think he'll reach insane levels but I am not at all against letting him learn from outside the XI.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think there's a really good chance we only see Hazlewood for Boland.

I know it was Greens spot and that's how the team works but it would sure start looking pretty poor if we dropped Marsh but kept Warner. I get the idea of leaving a team that is up 2/1 in a series but we should be looking for ways to constantly improve. Warner's Boxing day innings turned out to be a huge pain in the ass for everyone because I think it may have been the end of him if he went the Aus summer doing nothing.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)

I know it was Greens spot and that's how the team works but it would sure start looking pretty poor if we dropped Marsh but kept Warner. I get the idea of leaving a team that is up 2/1 in a series but we should be looking for ways to constantly improve. Warner's Boxing day innings turned out to be a huge pain in the ass for everyone because I think it may have been the end of him if he went the Aus summer doing nothing.
Yeah I think selectors figured his natural talent was so immense and his bat speed so blisteringly fast that he would just not be able to help scoring big runs at some point. The can has been kicked down the road a few times and a more natural window to replace him may have passed.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)

Yeah I think selectors figured his natural talent was so immense and his bat speed so blisteringly fast that he would just not be able to help scoring big runs at some point. The can has been kicked down the road a few times and a more natural window to replace him may have passed.