• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
While I can't say this squad fills me with joy, most of the changes that people are discussing would largely be tinkering around the edges. Phipps is the third-choice 9 and might not even play in any of the tests, so even if you reckon he sucks I don't understand being mad about the selection.

I'm also not surprised that there isn't a lot of new blood -- if we'd done well in the RC maybe, but with such a torrid performance the team needs to get used to winning.

What worries me the most is that this squad, as @Ash points out, suggests that the front row will go unchanged. Our scrum has been rubbish for most of the last 640 minutes of game time -- there were maybe 60 mins in there, being generous, where it stood up to the opposition. I suspect that we'll see 1. Slipper 2. Moore 3. Alexander again, with Nau, Robinson and Kepu off the bench. Sadly, that might well mean more scrumfuckery and more cards.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Moore and Hooper need big rests. I don't think Horwill does, he's missed enough footy.

Hooper played every Test last year and once Pocock was gone played every minute too. This year he's played every minute of every game bar the Force one and every minute of every Test except the 3rd B&I Lions Test.

Gill & Fainga'a should start against Italy, Ireland and Scotland.

Less 10 minutes of Saffer test :).

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
While I can't say this squad fills me with joy, most of the changes that people are discussing would largely be tinkering around the edges. Phipps is the third-choice 9 and might not even play in any of the tests, so even if you reckon he sucks I don't understand being mad about the selection.

I'm also not surprised that there isn't a lot of new blood -- if we'd done well in the RC maybe, but with such a torrid performance the team needs to get used to winning.

What worries me the most is that this squad, as @Ash points out, suggests that the front row will go unchanged. Our scrum has been rubbish for most of the last 640 minutes of game time -- there were maybe 60 mins in there, being generous, where it stood up to the opposition. I suspect that we'll see 1. Slipper 2. Moore 3. Alexander again, with Nau, Robinson and Kepu off the bench. Sadly, that might well mean more scrumfuckery and more cards.

Honest QUestion, who else do you pick, Sio ? Yeah Maybe but they took Ryan as tight head cover, to try him out. None of the Rebels front row has some engine.. cowan over in the west well he gets dusted by the above guys...

I think its we are picking the best of a bad bunch and working hard with them. Get patricio noriega in as a consultant is my guess I would like to see this tight 5 at some stage

1.Robinson 2.Moore 3. Slipper
4 Fardy 5 Horwill

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yes, I'd take Sio. This squad suggests that Slipper and the Cat are being considered LHPs, so we likely won't see the lineup you're proposing.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Yes, I'd take Sio. This squad suggests that Slipper and the Cat are being considered LHPs, so we likely won't see the lineup you're proposing.
Good point I would taken the lot of em drop dennis or harris .. You know wouldnt mind seeing benny Alexander having a crack at LH I think thats were his played his best..

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
pretty obvious that Slipper and Robbo are the LHP and Alexander and Kepu are THP options.

Would like to see Sio get another chance - just hope he takes the opportunity this time.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
pretty obvious that Slipper and Robbo are the LHP and Alexander and Kepu are THP options.

Would like to see Sio get another chance - just hope he takes the opportunity this time.

Maybe the thinking is that Sio needs a full preseason in the gym and then a full Super season to help him take the next step up; as a front rower he will not peak till he's 25-27 and under Fisher he's in a good place. I very much doubt that he's not prominent in Link's long term plans.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I don't get the Harris hate. Up north if we don't kick our goals we're fucked. Leali'ifano has played well, but his goal kicking is keeping him in the 15. He has hardly broken games open ball in hand.

If Lilo goes down, Harris is a proven option.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I thought Poite had been removed from the panel.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't get the Harris hate. Up north if we don't kick our goals we're fucked. Leali'ifano has played well, but his goal kicking is keeping him in the 15. He has hardly broken games open ball in hand.

Would much rather have had Tapuai or Horne brought on the tour tbh. Get Cooper, To'omua, Foley, White to practice their kicking

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
To'omua is to goalkicking as Matt Dunning is to drop goals: They might get one, but it sure as hell won't happen again.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

It isn't hate. He's a good Super rugby player.
I would hazard that our backline is not so dominant that we can afford to carry a player who pretty much just goal-kicks.
And no, he is not the all-round player that Leali'ifano is. He struggled to start at the Reds, for starters.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It isn't hate. He's a good Super rugby player.
I would hazard that our backline is not so dominant that we can afford to carry a player who pretty much just goal-kicks.
And no, he is not the all-round player that Leali'ifano is. He struggled to start at the Reds, for starters.

Fair enough, but to my mind it is telling that Link has selected Harris for the squad and ignored Tapuai, the guy who kept Harris on the bench at the Reds.

If Leali'ifano was to go down Harris would be the more similar skilled player to Lilo than Horne or Tapuai are. And against the forward dominant style of northern play his inclusion makes perfect sense to me.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fair enough, but to my mind it is telling that Link has selected Harris for the squad and ignored Tapuai, the guy who kept Harris on the bench at the Reds.

If Leali'ifano was to go down Harris would be the more similar skilled player to Lilo than Horne or Tapuai are. And against the forward dominant style of northern play his inclusion makes perfect sense to me.
I think the play up north might be less forward-oriented than previously. Yeah, they'll be good, tough packs, but a few of the teams play good 15-man rugby these days.
Anyway, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.