• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2nd Test Wallabies v France 8pmTuesday 13th July,

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It’s strange, because last year they had Samu operating in the role Valetini usually plays for the Brumbies in the first Bledisloe, and now they’ve got Valetini playing out wide ala Samu………..

I’d keep both Valetini and Wilson in their respective positions, but am thinking they might both benefit in having their positional roles reversed?

I feel Wilson could be more of an attacking threat with more space, and he’s a much better linking player than Valetini.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It’s strange, because last year they had Samu operating in the role Valetini usually plays for the Brumbies in the first Bledisloe, and now they’ve got Valetini playing out wide ala Samu………..

I’d keep both Valetini and Wilson in their respective positions, but am thinking they might both benefit in having their positional roles reversed?

I feel Wilson could be more of an attacking threat with more space, and he’s a much better linking player than Valetini.

He played that wider roll in Wellington last year and went well. Hasn't since, though, as far as I can remember.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It was an improved performance. Hard to be too disappointed, the French played well and had the better of the big moments.

The damning statistic of the Rennie era is that we are yet to score more than two tries in a game. And we've now played seven games. Though that to me is a reflection less on coaching and more on linebreaking, tryscoring ability.

We're a team of good honest toilers but we're crying out for a Beale, Folau, Genia type who can do one or two brilliant things a game and conjure a try out of nothing much. JOC (James O'Connor) would help, Nic White would help, Vunivalu would help, maybe Petaia would too.

There were a few moments last night where we just needed someone to make something happen, and by and large it didn't. The big plays of the game all came from Hooper - the steal on our own line, the chase-down tackle, the late try in the corner.

I was disappointed with the way we attacked in the French 22. Our forwards were attacking well in tight, but we chose to go wide at the wrong times. We needed to be patient and wait for our moment, but too often we tried to force it. That's on Lolesio and To'omua.

I'm waiting for the breakout performance from this team, where they come out and put a team to the sword. But I am coming to the conclusion that it's not going to happen, that's not who we are. We are scrappers, we're gutsy, we work hard but we just lack the killer ability to put teams away.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The whole coaching team has changed, not just the Head Coach. That implies that everything - attack, defence, transition, set pieces, breakdowns, tactics etc etc either has or is in the process of changing.

Meanwhile our elite players have had an interrupted and less than successful Soup season.

I refuse to be downhearted. Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! (I would never say that in real life, but I wanted to get it off my chest).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We lack attacking spark and intent in the backline. We have a lot of talent on the sideline that can provide it. There is too much pressure on Paisami to provide the break and the French have shut him down two weeks in a row. He needs someone to run off.
White, JOC (James O'Connor), Vunivalu, Petaia, Daugunu. These guys all bring a bit of it. Hodge is maybe a better shout to bring stability to the midfield than To'omua ATM.
I also think we have the hookers wrong. Hopefully we get to have a look at Kaitu’u on the weekend.
Wells on the bench is also a good option as he can play all three back row positions. Naisarani provides some good go forward but is predictable and easily shut down. There is no point having three similar backrowers in a 23

Basic errors killed us again in multiple promising attacks. We turned over a lot of pill.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
One think I will say about Wright is he doesn't seem to be someone who comes across as un confident or in his own head. He had a bad game, leave it at that, his electric he has pace to burn and skills as well. I would probably play him again as we all know what his capable of.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Daugunu showed more in one game against the ABs last year than Wright has in his four starts. I can't see the logic in starting Wright at the moment, I can't see what he brings. Skills? He's dropped at least three easy pills, and cost us a try. Kicking? No evidence of that. Line breaking ability? Nope. Winger craft? He's been pushed into touch on multiple occasions.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Daugunu showed more in one game against the ABs last year than Wright has in his four starts. I can't see the logic in starting Wright at the moment, I can't see what he brings. Skills? He's dropped at least three easy pills, and cost us a try. Kicking? No evidence of that. Line breaking ability? Nope. Winger craft? He's been pushed into touch on multiple occasions.

Thought Wright looked the goods in his games last year, it's just this year that he's stunk up the joint. And Daugunu's had shockers in gold too, though I'd be starting him instead Wright now (if he's fit)

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Did you get held back from entering until after the game started? That was weird. Also apparently only 20,000 which seems conservative.

But yes, great atmosphere, Richmond was heaving with gold.

Was it 20k? Seemed like more, but that's the great thing about the stadium. 70% capacity and it's heaving

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Keeping Wright in the team is rewarding poor performance, especially when you have alternatives worthy of stepping up to the task like Kellaway or Daugunu.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Call me crazy but we are really missing Kuridrani in the centres. Good at straightening the attack, great defence and probably our best back at the breakdown. I miss that bloke.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Shame Kerevi is going to Toyko. With Hunter becoming more of a ball player, it would pose a very interesting 12/13 combo. A inside ball from Hunter to Samu would be amazing to see.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If we're going to continue playing an expansive, possession based game where we try and move the ball across the field and retain a lot of possession we are going to keep getting turned over a lot. There's no two ways about it. If you somehow don't get turned over it's because you are way better than the opposition and you'll win by 50 points.

We're creating situations where there's often only ever one player who is in position to make an effective cleanout and if they are inaccurate we lose the ball. If there's a dominant tackle we're also highly likely to lose the ball.

It's similar to what Cheika was doing and largely it's not a great tactic. If you want to keep a lot of possession you need to keep it much tighter and work through the middle in pods before the opportunity arises to spread it wider. The French and plenty of other teams would prefer to play a territory game first and foremost. They're not really looking to keep possession until they're less than 40m out from the attacking try line.

We clearly had the plan to play an uptempo game with quick taps and turning down shots at 3 but I think we need to play substantially more conservatively, take all the 3s on offer and value territory and field position more than possession.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Call me crazy but we are really missing Kuridrani in the centres. Good at straightening the attack, great defence and probably our best back at the breakdown. I miss that bloke.

Yeah France are playing a rush defence, which means you need either good tactical kicking, strong ball running centres or a second playmaker at fullback.

Realistically we don’t have any of those in the current selections

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Another thing that peeved me about last night is our refusal to actually use an advantage to try something. Why do we continue to pick and drive with penalty advantage in their 22?

Perfect time to try a Paisami grubber or cross-field kick (what happened to those last match?).

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I’d like to see
9. White/Tate
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Paisami,
13 Ikitau,
11 koribete
14 daugunu
15 petaia
A few too many reds but I reckon that lineup would outperform last nights backline by a fair margin
Much more attacking flair and solid defensively.
The breakdown was a bigger issue but I’m not sure any changes would improve that.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’d like to see
9. White/Tate
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Paisami,
13 Ikitau,
11 koribete
14 daugunu
15 petaia
A few too many reds but I reckon that lineup would outperform last nights backline by a fair margin
Much more attacking flair and solid defensively.
The breakdown was a bigger issue but I’m not sure any changes would improve that.
If everyone is fit we probably do get backs like this.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

20013 Kuridrani was a weapon but I don't think we're missing the current version.

If To'omua's role is to be that stabilising. calming and consistent presence in the backline he's not providing it.