• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballymore68

Bob McCowan (2)
Villa vs SEC - Villa
home ground at villa park villa havent lost a game there all year, will be interesting to see what crowd eddies bring going for an underfeated premiership. my upset victory for this week

Ashgrove vs SPLC - Ashgrove
securing second place on the weekend with mountains of people out at ashgrove i cant see a young splc team coming out on top, while individual players like beverage, byrnes and tapitata looking to secure AIC spots.

Padua vs Iona - Padua
padua looking to score tied second with ashgrove, while iona look back on what could be a horror season for the black and white only securing two wins, the future looks dull for iona rugby while padua look to build for a massive 2015 where they are looking to be the powerhouse side.

SPC vs SLC - SPC
pats will finish off an average season where they continue to build a successful culture at there school which looks promising for future years. while a Absolutley Horrific SLC side one of the worst in 1st XV history which most 2nd XV teams would run over look to find some humble pride if there is any left within these boys. the coaches at SLC along with parents and supporters should be embarresed disgraceful.

Pat Beveridge was ruled out for the season two weeks ago.

robboandrews7

Frank Row (1)
Is this another stitch up? Or is Dr Jon a just a complete tool. What more does a team have to do prove themselves worthy of a premiership other than defeat all their opposition. Not only have Ashgrove and Padua been defeated, they've been defeated twice and you're suggesting they deserve another bite of the cherry. If this is for real and Dr Jon is a scout then the rep pathway is paved with bias. I was at the Ashgrove game, Eddies were pummelled by the ref and at one stage down to 13 men. Ashgrove defaulted to their pick and drive/rolling maul game (a sensible option) and still couldn't get the job done. I have been around both TAS and AIC rugby for a while and the 2014 Ashgrove First XV is one on the weakest I have seen. I played against real Ashgrove champions Howard, Herbert & Hammond to name a few and current crop doesn't measure up. As for Padua, we'll they put up a good fight, put on some tries while Eddies were down one man but really the best team won. Eddies belted the living crap out of them. The defence was off the hook and the hits were huge. We'll done St Edmunds boys, well done Miles and Parkinson all the support staff, parents and friends your First XV are deserving champs.

Couldn't agree more

Benson

Frank Row (1)
On the subject of SLC rugbys decline, is it a scary coincidence that their soccer program is going through the roof with its recent success? I know someone has mentioned the volley and basketball programs in the past, so surely the director of sport cant be at fault. From my understanding lauries soccer has won 4 or the past 5 overall champion school titles, including 3 in a row. Apparently 2014 saw convincing wins overall for the day and in the 1sts at both Ash and Villa. Are the best athletes playing soccer, or are more resources being poured into it?

call-an-ambo

Bob McCowan (2)
On the subject of SLC rugbys decline, is it a scary coincidence that their soccer program is going through the roof with its recent success? I know someone has mentioned the volley and basketball programs in the past, so surely the director of sport cant be at fault. From my understanding lauries soccer has won 4 or the past 5 overall champion school titles, including 3 in a row. Apparently 2014 saw convincing wins overall for the day and in the 1sts at both Ash and Villa. Are the best athletes playing soccer, or are more resources being poured into it?

This thread is about Rugby. Who knows or really cares about soccer. That is a whole different ball game and yes they might have a good soccer program but the focus is on Rugby.

Benson

Frank Row (1)
Fair call ambo. Just trying to find out why one code can be so dominant and the other in turmoil. Cant be a school culutre problem. Any clue?

call-an-ambo

Bob McCowan (2)
Fair call ambo. Just trying to find out why one code can be so dominant and the other in turmoil. Cant be a school culutre problem. Any clue?

Its because many schools like St Laurence and Villanova have such a large population of Greek or Italian kids who have grown up playing soccer and spent there whole lives playing club football. That is why there is so much talent within the soccer and that is why a lot more focus is on soccer then rugby.

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not a single one, which I found very surprising for an age group that has been as dominant as they were in previous years. However, predictions are exactly that; predictions.

SLC rugby is a disgrace all involved should be disappointed, there players have sat on this forum talking themselves up and have done nothing all year.

St Laurence's coaches might have wanted to pay a little more attention to their back 3. Overall I saw Ian Filipo (#12 however playing at fullback) was making careless errors as well as missed tackles and not secure enough under the high ball, Jack Healy (#11) seemed distracted by the crowd and girls that were watching and seemed more keen on taking out opposing winger Sam Boland (villa #14) who completely outplayed Healy than making successful tackles. Chris Anastasio (#14) was a better player in the lower grade (16A) being a good finisher in the corner but seemed intimidated at a 1st XV level and let Sam Thong have space and use his footwork and run around allowing a few tries to be let in, in the corner.

Tim Jensen

Frank Row (1)
I've watched a total of 8 AIC games (2 on tape) as a scout and I must admit at the beginning of the year I felt the talent level was substandard. As the season progressed I saw a strong improvement and feel there are multiple players who could push for QLD schoolboy sides.

Overall, seasons like these make me think their should be a finals in AIC rugby as it seems that St. Edmunds may win, however they may not have been the best team. I've watched two of their games, and frankly they were lucky not to lose to Ashgrove and I am yet to watch the Padua game tape but I did tip Padua to win and have heard reports that Padua strongly outplayed them in the second half. Congratulations to St Edmunds though and now its on to schoolboy rep season.

From what I've seen, here is my AIC 1 prediction:

1. Jack O'Connor (ASH)
2. Tom O'toole (Padua)
3. Dominic Dingwall (IONA)
4. Lancashire (ASH) *If Healthy
5. Daniel Byrne (ASH)
6. Harding (Villa) / Kersley (ASH)
7.James Ryan (ASH)
8. Pat Beveridge (ASH) * If not healthy: Conor Cowhig (ASH)
9. Stephen Gill (Padua)
10. Felu (Villa)
11. Fahey (ASH) * "Phenomenal Winger"
12.Torpy (Villa)
13. Regan (Pats)
14. Jordan Fewings (Padua)
15. Clifton Setu (Eddies)

16. Finnegan Mcgrath (ASH)
17. Eddies no.3 / Boyd White (ASH)
18. Clement Brosnan (ASH)
19. Cowhig (ASH) or Pats 8
20. Lauries 9 (They have to get someone in)
21. Carrol (IONA)
22. Yabsley (IONA) Josh Collins (ASH)

Shadows/Waterboys
Connor Gentile (Padua)
Jack Treston (ASH)

Coach
Dr Jon (ASH)

Ashgrove gets a big amount in, especially in the forwards. They were dominate this year in the forwards, even when their reserves came on they wrecked opponents forwards. Unsure if this is due to Doctor Jon or to the dominance of the players. Regardless they will be rewarded in AIC 1 Selections.
As far as the back line, a lot of teams had impact players, especially in the centres, making for difficult decisions. They was no dominant back line from a particular side which is why it is mixed. J. Collins outplayed Yablesy at Iona today. Also Yabsley got sucked in by the supporters heckling, Collins stayed focus.

Noticeable Absentees:
Yabsley (IONA)
Eddies 13
Tom Stewart (ASH)

Where is Will Collins?

Benson

Frank Row (1)
The family origin point may be valid, but surely this has always been the case. Why the success now, and is it to rugbys detriment? Would split seasons help SLC? A lot of effort gone into rugby at SLC apparently (2 directors & 2 coaches) but still no luck. I hope the 100 year team has more good news. Hopefully the GPS schools leave the remaining stars alone.

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
The family origin point may be valid, but surely this has always been the case. Why the success now, and is it to rugbys detriment? Would split seasons help SLC? A lot of effort gone into rugby at SLC apparently (2 directors & 2 coaches) but still no luck. I hope the 100 year team has more good news. Hopefully the GPS schools leave the remaining stars alone.

Maybe SLC could benefit from employing external coaches rather than using teachers for the job. Must be hard having Pat Richards teaching at the school and not being able to coach their top team.

call-an-ambo

Bob McCowan (2)

these two schools have always dominated in soccer. Splits seasons wouldnt help at all. Soccer boys arent going to play rugby and neither are rugby going to play soccer. The SLC team wasnt a bad one it was just they were up against stronger teams although there team selection was pretty well stupid all schools have years were they dominate then dont have as much depth the next year.

IDMSportmedia

Herbert Moran (7)
Can anyone please tell me why (without being an idiot about it) that SEC goes through undefeated until this point but when the issue of selection for AIC 1 comes up the only player people seem to care about is Clifton Setu? Surely a player like Kain Humphreys (no.4) or Layton Kember (no.13 against Padua) would be up for selection. I reiterate why is SEC under represented when they have out played their opponents this far in the season?

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
Can anyone please tell me why (without being an idiot about it) that SEC goes through undefeated until this point but when the issue of selection for AIC 1 comes up the only player people seem to care about is Clifton Setu? Surely a player like Kain Humphreys (no.4) or Layton Kember (no.13 against Padua) would be up for selection. I reiterate why is SEC under represented when they have out played their opponents this far in the season?
Fair call mate. Eddies have undoubtedly been the dominant side this year. I hope they get a decent representation when it comes to selection. The selectors just need to pick the best 15 (and the rest) footy players who can stick it to the GPS boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.