• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2021-22

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ cricinfo says 11 overs left, even if that's without change of innings Aus opening bowlers should still get three or four each tonight & come back fresh-as tomorrow. It's always surprised me that more teams don't do this, once you've got 400 on the board another 20-30 is worth way less than an early wicket (or two, this being England ;)).

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Well done Ussie. I tipped a double century to hammer home that I was wrong calling for his replacement. He really did good.

I have long said that Ussie is the best stroke making left hander since David Gower. He hasn't lost any of his stroke play over the years. His cover driving is immaculate.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A pleasure to see Ussies century live

Looked for you, Derpus, but couldn't find you.

Watching Ussie put that ton together was a delight and joy. He's such an elegant batsman, caresses the ball so gently. I left at 5:00pm which was after that period of Ussie stroking the ball to the far reaches of the SCG making the fielders run themselves into the ground while he ran three. How many of those did he do late in the afternoon? I thought he was toying with the whole English team at the time.

After a few short showers between 10:35 and 10:55 play was uninterrupted, in fact the afternoon was bathed in mild sunshine. I fear the next few days will be quite sodden.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Looked for you, Derpus, but couldn't find you.

Watching Ussie put that ton together was a delight and joy. He's such an elegant batsman, caresses the ball so gently. I left at 5:00pm which was after that period of Ussie stroking the ball to far reaches of the SCG making the fielders run themselves into the ground while he ran three. How many of those did he do late in the afternoon? I thought he was toying with the whole English team at the time.

After a few short showers between 10:35 and 10:55 play was uninterrupted, in fact the afternoon was bathed in mild sunshine. I fear the next few days will be quite sodden.
I was the drunk one.

It does look like this match will be a draw which is a shame. But Usman getting a century is enough of a win for me.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Best all round day of cricket this summer.

Perhaps I’m being harsh, and I don’t want to take away from Bairstow’s knock, but I still get the feeling that we lose the plot a bit when wickets don’t tumble in quick succession and the opposition up the scoring rate. I was pleased with Adelaide because we kept bowling in the right areas even when the wickets were comparatively slow to come. Today we didn’t seem to persist bowling a good line and length to Wood for very long and were quick to try bowling both extremely full and short. If Cummins has a weakness it’s that he can get thrown off his usual impeccable line and length by the middle to lower order having a dig. Losing Boland for those overs perhaps hurt us a bit in that department as I think he would have kept hitting the top of off.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah I've seen it more than once when our otherwise world class attack can start going a bit short and trying to rough up opposition lower order players rather than trying to get them out. Their natural pace and bounce means that they don't often have to do that if they're targeting the right areas to begin with.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well that didn't take long... 80-odd overs for Aus to get a 400+ lead & have a quick burst at Eng late in the day.

Scott Boland currently has the lowest average of any bowler to have taken at least 10 wickets: 11 at 8.27, next best 11 at 8.72 by a CS Marriott who played one Test in 1933.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
England’s best pace bowling attack really does remain quite good.

They’ve been poorly let down by selection, batting, fielding and the lack of a quality spinner though.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So hopefully 65 overs left today and 90 tomorrow. We're 188 ahead.

Let's say we go at 3.5 an over from here and bat for 40 more overs. That would leave us with a lead of 328 and 115 overs to get 10 wickets. The attacking side of my brain says that with England's issues that ought to be plenty.

The more ruthless side of my brain says why even give them a sniff, so if we can lift the scoring rate to 4 it will be 348 or 4.5=368.

Either way, we'll need to get a move on in this session, especially if there's inclement weather on the way.