• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2021-22

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Made hard work of that. Lyons in the last hour would have been the key and Buttler knocking over his own stumps was the catalyst.

Got to wonder at some of the bowling plans - England are 4 innings into the tour so they're learning.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
England are 4 innings into the tour so they're learning..... long may they learn.....

Look, some of them clearly aren't up to it, but they got no chance to warm up in our conditions, then their selectors let them down badly in Brisbane, which compounded the issues in Adelaide.

Buttler showed a bit of application and may stay as a batsman alone. Can't say the same for Rory Burns.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well, the poms did allow their players to go and play in IPL instead of the test series against New Zealand, and rotated players for the India series (focusing again on T20) so possibly some of those chickens have come home to roost.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I didn’t think the final innings bowling performance was too bad, certainly better than against India. Buttler and Woakes had me slightly nervous at one stage but I was fairly comfortable they would give some chances and we just needed to take them. I actually thought it was the best Lyon had bowled for a couple of years and his figures didn’t do his performance justice. We were also without two of top 4 bowlers in the world.

I take back anything I’ve said about Green’s bowling in the past, what a prospect. I think he’s found his length now and with his height and bounce has the prospect to unsettle the batsmen regardless of how flat the wicket is. His Shield batting record speaks for itself so hopefully he can take confidence from his performance with the ball.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I take back anything I’ve said about Green’s bowling in the past, what a prospect. I think he’s found his length now and with his height and bounce has the prospect to unsettle the batsmen regardless of how flat the wicket is. His Shield batting record speaks for itself so hopefully he can take confidence from his performance with the ball.

As Hayden kept saying: he's got the extra pace now compared to last season. I'd actually like to see him bowl first change as a bit of a tactical shift. See if he can't get a bit of movement with the newish ball as a change for Starc.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd be totally on board with Green bowling first change. He's quick and moves it away from the right hander. Damn fine attributes for a bowler to have.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Saw an article on my news feed this morning that said Harris’ spot has been rubber stamped …… other than the potential availability of Cummins and Hazelwood , Harris surely would be the only change ?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Saw an article on my news feed this morning that said Harris’ spot has been rubber stamped …… other than the potential availability of Cummins and Hazelwood , Harris surely would be the only change ?

ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Apparently Harris is "getting a chance to cement his spot"! WTF!

It's getting to the point where if Usman isn't picked we have to suspect the white Australia cricket policy is in full swing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Starc is bowling the best I've seen him. He really stood up as the bowling attached leader in Adelaide, which you would expect him too but he's not always done.

I always found this analysis of Lyon fascinating. He's not your typical 4th innings destroyer of a spinner because he relies more on bounce and top spin rather than side spin. He's actually more effective in the first innings than the 4th.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Apparently Harris is "getting a chance to cement his spot"! WTF!

It's getting to the point where if Usman isn't picked we have to suspect the white Australia cricket policy is in full swing.

I don't think that's the case. My read is that the selectors want a long term option and Harris is still young enough that he could be that guy. Ussie is 35 and at best good for another 2-3 years. Harris is 29 and could have 5-6 years in him. This is all in light of the fact that Warner is the same age as Ussie (I think they played a lot of cricket together in age-group teams) and could well be gone in the next year or two. That would leave us trying to find two new openers instead of one.

I don't think Harris is the guy and we need to look elsewhere, but I can at least understand the thought process.

EDIT: I'd like to see Pucovski be that guy but I'm more worried about his health than his cricketing ability.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think that's the case. My read is that the selectors want a long term option and Harris is still young enough that he could be that guy. Ussie is 35 and at best good for another 2-3 years. Harris is 29 and could have 5-6 years in him. This is all in light of the fact that Warner is the same age as Ussie (I think they played a lot of cricket together in age-group teams) and could well be gone in the next year or two. That would leave us trying to find two new openers instead of one.

I don't think Harris is the guy and we need to look elsewhere, but I can at least understand the thought process.

EDIT: I'd like to see Pucovski be that guy but I'm more worried about his health than his cricketing ability.
Pick your best team.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The old adage still holds water - harder to get out of the Aussie cricket team than to get into it.

The fact the side is winning games should only be part of their ambition. They should be bringing the next generation along too so that we don't fall into a heap when two, three or four players decide to retire at the same time. Doesn't mean they have to play those next gen players but they should be in and around the team to learn and develop.

And if one of the players on the fringe is likely to improve the team then he should get the call up then no matter that a winning streak is continuing.

The big question atm is just who are those next players? Pucovski obviously if he can get injury free and confident in his position in the squad. Patterson should also be there as his form at this level and SS level is outstanding. Having players like that around would negate the need for a 35yo being regarded as the next selection, and they would be more ready to fill a spot when the Selectors deem it necessary to replace/discard a perennial underperformer.

It should be acknowledged that good things are being done with the likes of Green and Richardson. Green seems to be cementing his role in the team while Richardson is not very far below the three making up probably the best pace attack in the world. More of this please.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So Harris cracks out a jammy 70 to save his career. Not sure that's really a great outcome for Aus.