• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #4 New Zealand vs Australia Nov 7 2020

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'd prefer Hosea but what can you do. Hanigan has looked better around the park, and I think the scrummaging is unknown, we'll see how he goes. Hopefully he surprises.

I rate Hosea as better than Hanigan in every facet of the game.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rennie was gifted 2 ineligible offshore players and he should have grabbed them.
This team looks like one to limit damage rather than win a test against anyone, let alone the ABs. There appears to be no playmaking ability inside of 13, or outside of it for that matter.
There is not much else in the cupboard but it is still pretty dire.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My thoughts exactly. We need to retain the ball, so someone who hits the breakdown, not someone looking for runs in the centres

Sio has been pretty poor though. I would have probably picked HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) but Bell is hugely promising.

His scrummaging needs to improve a fair bit still but I think it will happen and he'll be our best LHP.

I rate Hosea as better than Hanigan in every facet of the game.

Could be the plan is for Philip and Simmons to play very close to 80 minutes and the planned subs are Swinton and Wilson.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
I would have thought HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) would have come in first and let Bell get opportunities later on, no need to rush him in when we have depth in prop.

Glad Wright has been given a go on wing. Not phased on fullback but one of them really needs to step up.

Lolesio and Simone should have remained cause I can't see Hodge and Paisami doing any better. Or even Harrison before Hodge. Legit would have brought Deegan or Lance in over Hodge!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I actually like all the changes apart from the 10-12 channel. BB is going to tear it up.

Swinton and Wright are great inclusions.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I like the team. This key to beating the ABs is defense. Play at the right end of the park, defend well and cut the unforced errors and we are in with a shot. Personally I think the obsession with 'playmaking' ignores the history of the matches we've played against them, and the reality is that the looser things get, the worse off we are.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah I think the Wallaby game plan is pretty simple - focus on defence and keep the ABs under 20 points ala Wellington and naturally you'll be in the game and be able to apply pressure.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Rennie was gifted 2 ineligible offshore players and he should have grabbed them.
This team looks like one to limit damage rather than win a test against anyone, let alone the ABs. There appears to be no playmaking ability inside of 13, or outside of it for that matter.
There is not much else in the cupboard but it is still pretty dire.

Yes, I don't understand why Rennie didn't make attempt to lure back any of Kerevi, Arnold, Rodda, Skelton or Latu?

Those guys are experienced and proven test quality players & you're missing a few of those guys at the moment.

All you have to do is get rid of the bloody Giteau's law so you can actually field a competitive side - because you're probably going to get your dicks kicked in with this team..

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah I think the Wallaby game plan is pretty simple - focus on defence and keep the ABs under 20 points ala Wellington and naturally you'll be in the game and be able to apply pressure.

And history supports this strategy. In the pro era, we've never beaten them when they've hit 27 or more. Our overage win is 26-18.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
These seem like desperate selections.....

White to box kick the shit out of the ball?

Assuming they get ball to kick. Similar forward pack got a touch up last week. Nothing about this side suggests a different result this week unfortunately.

However, good to see both Swinton and Tom Wright in the side. I don't think Swinton has developed as well as expected since the U20s, but we need to gauge his abilities at this level. Shame Harrison didn't get a run too.

Main concern with Rennie so far is his inconsistency. If the coach is inconsistent then highly likely the team will be inconsistent.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
When To'omua was injured he should have pulled someone in from outside of the squad. It was highly unlikely that we would also lose JOC (James O'Connor), but there you go. Same for lock. We lose LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and all of sudden we do not have a recognised lock on the pine.

It’s a learning experience for him as well I guess. Playing Hodge at 10 achieves nothing. At least play Lolesio or Harrison and Hosea or Neville from the bench.