• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
He probably can't say too much considering the legal action going on.

It's probably also a difficult time to speak to Michael Jones considering he is suing someone and being sued in turn.

The last thing Pulver and the ARU need is to be embroiled in the middle of it.

Pulver is not part, linked or subject to the legal action so can speak.

Jones is not being sued. He is suing the Brumbies Board.

No actually, Jones apparently spoke to Pulver and the ARU in the last day or two as its business as usual with contacts etc.(see today's Canberra times for story)

I think we might be past that point of Pulvers dismissive banter. Most realise if you call a meeting with the ARU and the ACT Government seeking financial guarantees before you try and sack the CEO its obvious because you don't have the money to do it. The press ran that story days ago that they cant afford it without the ARU chipping in.

They guy he is talking to at the Brumbies is one of the Board that Jones is in conflict with (suing) is also linked with the questionable transactions.

Actually, IMHO I am concern that he may be on a similar track to what Andrew Demetriou was with the Bombers saga.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
He probably can't say too much considering the legal action going on.

It's probably also a difficult time to speak to Michael Jones considering he is suing someone and being sued in turn.

The last thing Pulver and the ARU need is to be embroiled in the middle of it.

I would think that if you are going to speak to one side in a dispute, that dispute being the sidelining of Jones from his position, then before the CEO of the parent body makes any comment or public appearance, with a member of a government no less, he should actually speak to both sides. He cannot now claim impartiality in the dispute, he has taken a side with his actions regardless of what his rhetoric says.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm even more sick of hearing them commentate. Hearing George Gregan and John Eales have a conversation is as enjoyable as watching 50 Shades of Grey, and I'm not talking about the book with the raunchy BDSM and critically-acclaimed dialogue.

Quality rant.

As much as these blokes are legends of playing the game (and always will be as far as I'm concerned) it doesn't mean they're good at anything and everything vaguely connected with rugby.

Sure, there's a place for keeping former players as a part of the game off the field, but more than ever we need very smart operators to actually steer the ship.

Obviously the attributes required there ain't necessarily the same as what's needed to win 60 Test caps.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So the coaching staff & major sponsor/s are supporting Jones.
And those aligned with the decision to 'invest' the majority of their funds into facilities someone else owns,are against him?

If it was a western,I know who wears the White hat,and who wears the black hat..........

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hasn't this same drama been played out with many Sydney Clubs?

How many of them still have revenue producing clubhouses and bars now?
Where has all the money gone from the sale of their assets? Little wonder they have their hands out to the ARU. But that is for another thread isn't it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not the same at all.

Big Arse sell your house,we'll use the funds to build a fucking mansion on a vacant block of land I own.
You & yours can live there rent free for 20 years,then get the fuck out.
You happy with that?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ Not happy with that. Who would be?
Difference with the Sydney Club situation is that the Fairy Godmother hasn't given them any rent free mansion (or even shack) to live in, yet the money all appears to be gone, including all the dosh that JO'N used to give them from the ARU bank.

Another difference is that MJ has called the coppers in to investigate. That hasn't happened over the sale/bankruptcy of any of the Sydney Rugby Clubs.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The Sydney Clubs did not sell unencumbered properties,and give the proceeds to improve a property owned by someone else.
They (in the main) died the death of a thousand cuts,frittering away their assets gradually.
Many,many licensed clubs traded unprofitably and ended up either little or no equity by the time their property was sold.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wasn't there something to do with the improvements to Griffith Oval that were owned by Brumbies Ltd were on land that was owned by the Commonwealth, or ACT Govt or Canberra City Council or whoever is in charge of public land down there?

There was some sort of preservation order on the land that was overturned by the ACT government, and that allowed the development to take place.

We lost a Premier over a $3000 bottle of wine.

Was the land actually owned by Brumbies Ltd?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Not sure who owned the land.

However, AFAIK (fingers crossed as I'm not an expert), there is NO SUCH THING as freehold in the ACT ... anyone who 'owns' a house actually has a 99 year lease instead - which is expected to be renewed. In other words, that's as close as you get to ownership in the ACT.

I stand to be corrected on this.

It may have even been a similar thing to Ballymore in Queensland. That land is not actually owned freehold by the QRU, but was legislated as land 'in trust' which is then in placed the hands of the QRU for rugby purposes.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm sure someone can correct me or elaborate on the situation, but I'm certain it wasn't the actual land that the training grounds/oval exist on (they're still there) that the Brumbies owned and sold, but rather where the clubhouse/old lawn bowls club existed adjacent to it............

I actually know someone who has bought an apartment there....... very nice...........

Kiap - I'm quite certain you're right re: 99 year leases of land in the ACT.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Who was the porkchop suggesting Mann-Rea should be sacked for the punching incident? Jesus fucking christ he punched someone in a full-contact sport that necessitates aggression. Sure its not acceptable, but it was a brainfart, he has shown remorse and to terminate a contract for a red-card is laughable. He got red-carded, hes already been punished.

I'm also backing Jones on this (not that anyone cares about my opinion). I am so so sick of the old boys club that is Rugby Union is Australia.

I'm sick of people like John Eales, George Gregan or any other prominent ex-player walking into board positions with a C.V. entirely consisting of mascot / dancing bear roles at prominent companies.

I'm even more sick of hearing them commentate. Hearing George Gregan and John Eales have a conversation is as enjoyable as watching 50 Shades of Grey, and I'm not talking about the book with the raunchy BDSM and critically-acclaimed dialogue.

Oh no, a Eales-Gregan shit-sandwich is far worse. Its akin to literally watching a post-Soviet, decrepit and arthritic 68-year old man in the middle of bum-fuck Hungary paint a fourty-square foot slab of concrete with 50 different shades of grey, and then watching it attempt to dry as the exceptionally cold yet mild weather of Eastern Europe manifests itself with a light, yet piercing, drizzle.

I've never seen two individuals so terrified of showing any form of personality.

"How'd you find the game George?"

"It was ok. Actually, it was better than ok. Somewhere between ok and good. But not great, no no, certainly not great. Some good things happened, some bad things happened and at the end of the day I wasn't upset that I watched it. But I wouldnt watch it again. I was content. How'd you find it John?"

"Satisfactory. I was a little peeved that one of the teams ended up winning though, I would have much preferred a draw. It was, if anything, almost too exciting of a finish. I think I need to go lie down now and listen to someone be reminded why my nick-name in the Wallabies was 'Nobody'. That'll sort me out".

And why do these idiots get these positions? Because they were good at running into people in their mid-20s! Of course they deserve them! What kind of idiot would give it to someone who is actually business minded and qualified? Thats no way to run a company!

You don't become the fourth most prominent winter sport in Australia by making decisions based on common sense.
I love reading a good honest rant and this is one of the better ones, I salute you random Internet stranger!

Reactions: mst

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Wasn't there something to do with the improvements to Griffith Oval that were owned by Brumbies Ltd were on land that was owned by the Commonwealth, or ACT Govt or Canberra City Council or whoever is in charge of public land down there?

There was some sort of preservation order on the land that was overturned by the ACT government, and that allowed the development to take place.

We lost a Premier over a $3000 bottle of wine.

Was the land actually owned by Brumbies Ltd?

As with the Brumbies matter, it isn't anything to do with the bottle of wine per se more about the governance and honesty/legality behind the dealings.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
I'm sure someone can correct me or elaborate on the situation, but I'm certain it wasn't the actual land that the training grounds/oval exist on (they're still there) that the Brumbies owned and sold, but rather where the clubhouse/old lawn bowls club existed adjacent to it....

I actually know someone who has bought an apartment there... very nice.....

Kiap - I'm quite certain you're right re: 99 year leases of land in the ACT.

The Griffith Ovals are untouched, they are still the home grounds of Easts Rugby Club. The Brumbies HQ building and attached bowling greens (it was a former lawn bowls club were sold and turned into apartments.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Will the only winner be the Legal Eagles?

Brumbies Inc (and Aust Rugby) is running on the smell of an oily rag ATM and can afford to run up expensive legal bills like a recovering alcoholic needs the keys to the local bottlo.

I hope that they have negotiated a discount rate or even found some folk prepared to fight the good fight on a pro bono basis.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Jones' injunction continues for the time being with the judge reserving his decision.

Judgement to be handed down later this week most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.