• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs - Round 2, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
As a dyed in the wool Brumbies supporter, I actually think Latu was justly punished. There were a lot of arms and punches thrown in both of the fracas by players from both teams and Matty T stuck his head in there twice after it had started to settle; if we were discussing this 6 or 7 years ago it would have been "tough shit, nice punch". We are now in the modern era where lil Johnny's mum will stop him playing because it is a thugs game. Latu got spotted on camera so deserves to be punished ... but not excessively. I for one love the passion "TAH'S Week" brings to Canberra to get a vocal crowd at that stadium out of Canberra's fickle quiet crowd is awesome!

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Ridiculous SANZAAR ruling on Latu... The ban should be with the team it occurred.. So damage fone for the Tahs... Laughable result

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That is irrelevant. If you tackle someone on the street you will be charged with assault.

They didn't have footage of the punch landing. Clearly the outcome might have been different if they did.

It is really irrelevant that there is no footage of the punch landing. Latu pleaded guilty so there is no scope for the JO to have any doubt.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
All this talk about the Latu is a great smoke screen. All this hand wringing because a hooker punched a centre o_O

No talk about how shit the Tahs were?

A million penalties, a couple in the bin, dire scrummaging, faaark

Ponies should more concerned about how a side playing so badly, so undisciplined can stay close for so long

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A reduced sentence by pleading guilty is standard across most judicial systems. I guess if there was no incentive to plead guilty, we'd spend a monumental amount more of taxpayer money funding judicial systems.

I don't agree with that either.

If you are found guilty, you're guilty. Doesn't matter whether you went early with the plea or not. Let the punishment fit the crime, rather than crocodile tears for a shorter sentence.

If you want to lower taxpayer costs, then decriminalise marijuana and fire a bunch of senior public servants.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't agree with that either.

If you are found guilty, you're guilty. Doesn't matter whether you went early with the plea or not. Let the punishment fit the crime, rather than crocodile tears for a shorter sentence.

If you want to lower taxpayer costs, then decriminalise marijuana and fire a bunch of senior public servants.

That's fine. In many ways I agree. Lack of access to good legal defence causes many poor people to plead guilty even when innocent because it's their only real option.

Like it or not though, it's a pretty core tenet of our legal system and isn't likely to change.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its worse in the US. But we're digressing.

I'm also not comfortable with the charge of a lifting tackle not counting against his total - its a judiciary appearance, and he had prior. That should count for something.

EDIT: I realise I'm asking for something approaching sense from the judiciary. So I'm now giving myself a forehead slap and ceasing this conversation.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The SANZAR judiciary decision was a por one, but it's merely the lastest in a long line of similar decisions.

In the past I've referred to the SAZAR judicial process as a shambolic lottery - and I can't really add to that description.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
All this talk about the Latu is a great smoke screen. All this hand wringing because a hooker punched a centre o_O

No talk about how shit the Tahs were?

A million penalties, a couple in the bin, dire scrummaging, faaark

Ponies should more concerned about how a side playing so badly, so undisciplined can stay close for so long

It really was poor from the Tahs in that first half. The discipline was absolutely terrible and yet they hung in there, which is either a decent sign for them or a poor one for the Brumbies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There were just too many silly errors and wrong decisions made by the Brumbies when they got into a points scoring opportunity...........

- Twice Speight made a couple of nice breaks down the right wing, only to ignore his support players and either die with the ball, or throw a desperate last minute pass to Fardy who was coming in to secure the ball, and loses it forward.

- I could see the reasoning for the first one or two box kicks from Cubelli due to the Tahs rush defence, but that option should've ceased there.

- Further to that, too many shit kicks overall - too many examples to bother citing.

- Toua is the weakest link in the Brumbies backline and needs to find some form quick, or will/should be dumped out of the 23 - this is a position of weakness for the Brumbies because the only other option I can see is Coleman who is a quality player, but the opposition is going to target him in the air.

- 10 mins to go and the game still within reach for the Tahs, the Brumbies were given a penalty advantage from a marching scrum. While I admire their new found positive attacking play, this was the moment to take the penalty and get up the Tahs end of the field to put the game out of reach. Instead, they took the advantage, subsequently lost it and then turned over the ball.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
There were just too many silly errors and wrong decisions made by the Brumbies when they got into a points scoring opportunity.....

- Twice Speight made a couple of nice breaks down the right wing, only to ignore his support players and either die with the ball, or throw a desperate last minute pass to Fardy who was coming in to secure the ball, and loses it forward.

- I could see the reasoning for the first one or two box kicks from Cubelli due to the Tahs rush defence, but that option should've ceased there.

- Further to that, too many shit kicks overall - too many examples to bother citing.

- Toua is the weakest link in the Brumbies backline and needs to find some form quick, or will/should be dumped out of the 23 - this is a position of weakness for the Brumbies because the only other option I can see is Coleman who is a quality player, but the opposition is going to target him in the air.

- 10 mins to go and the game still within reach for the Tahs, the Brumbies were given a penalty advantage from a marching scrum. While I admire their new found positive attacking play, this was the moment to take the penalty and get up the Tahs end of the field to put the game out of reach. Instead, they took the advantage, subsequently lost it and then turned over the ball.

Who played fullback for the runners, I think it might have been Ah Wong ?

Damo666

Frank Row (1)
It was nice to see the winning team acting with some class at the fulltime siren, and not rubbing the win in the face of the opposition.

Hope the Tahs were taking notes....

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
In the modern era, no team can win the competition giving away silly penalties and/or getting players regularly carded.

We need to fix the discipline ASAP.

Absolutely. You can't continually ship points to the opposition and/or play short handed and not expect a negative effect on the scoreboard. It catches up with you eventually.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There were just too many silly errors and wrong decisions made by the Brumbies when they got into a points scoring opportunity.....

Slim - couple of points I'd like to make.

The decision to go to the lineout when Mumm was carded was wrong, plain and simple. A five metre scrum 8 v 7 when they were already dominant was a no brainer.

Toua actually had a very strong game. Safe at the back and always in the right position. Played as a third No 10 in attack which gave the Brumbies many extra options. He was the first receiver on nearly as many occasions as either Christian or Matty, and handled the situation with aplomb. He was the only player to make some good distance with his kicks in play. As often as not found the sideline or just made good distance. Three very good No 10s in the match day side will pay handsome dividends for the Brumbies during the season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Strong game?

I thought he was pretty average..........

His kicking was better than say, Speight, but not as good as say........ Fardy?

He also is responsible for letting the Folau try in............. in fact, I don't hold a lot of confidence in his defence.........

So far I would actually say he's been a step down from Mogg.

Status
Not open for further replies.