• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

The small consolation on having Flaherty, Bryden, Graham, Dudley Cameron, Wilson missing out on selection is that for the last 3 games of the CAS season Barker has a core group that will hopefully remain injury free.. That said I bet every one of those lads wish they had made the NSW squads.

Will they be pleased if they make the Combined States squad?
They should be.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any scores at the 16s available

Pres A v Pres B in final tomorrow.

Pres B 15 v Cas 15 in semi final great game plenty of talent Pres B go thru on first try scorer.

Good luck to all boys not selected in Nsw 1 and 2 opens getting a jersey for CS.
Latham Hutchison Walters will keep the flag going for WLF to cheer about I’m tipping ,which could be a long week listening to his barking but would be well deserved.

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
CNP, clearly i am not privy to how the selections occur but from the GPS site it was explained that the selectors choose the NSW 1's and 2's run on teams first and then they pick reserves for each team after that.

If that is the case, then the CAS 1s got only 8 of their winning 15 run on players in the nsw 1s or 2s run on teams.
Some obvious top performers were completely shafted.

I also suspect there are a number of ISA players who deserved better, trouble is they don't get to play the GPS, they do play CAS, but clearly that does't count. so how about the ISA lobby to play GPS as well next year.
Who is the selection panel for the NSW teams. Anyone know?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Pres A v Pres B in final tomorrow.

Pres B 15 v Cas 15 in semi final great game plenty of talent Pres B go thru on first try scorer.

Good luck to all boys not selected in Nsw 1 and 2 opens getting a jersey for CS.
Latham Hutchison Walters will keep the flag going for WLF to cheer about I’m tipping ,which could be a long week listening to his barking but would be well deserved.

Actually S&Go,

I was more amazed that many of the Barker boys missed out, given that Barker have beaten nearly everyone they have played, then defeated the GPS and then the ISA, so when people say it is not decided on just 1 game, that's ok, so how do you explain the Barker situation. Just wish people would face facts.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
CNP, clearly i am not privy to how the selections occur but from the GPS site it was explained that the selectors choose the NSW 1's and 2's run on teams first and then they pick reserves for each team after that.

If that is the case, then the CAS 1s got only 8 of their winning 15 run on players in the nsw 1s or 2s run on teams.
Some obvious top performers were completely shafted.

I also suspect there are a number of ISA players who deserved better, trouble is they don't get to play the GPS, they do play CAS, but clearly that does't count. so how about the ISA lobby to play GPS as well next year.

Does it help to hear that GPS 1 got only 6 in NSW 1 and 2 run on teams?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Does it help to hear that GPS 1 got only 6 in NSW 1 and 2 run on teams?

CnP,

It's getting pointless trying to argue logic here.

It's not the numbers who got in, it's who missed out based on season performance, and not based on just 1 game, as 1 supporter tried to argue/justify.
Clearly a very difficult concept for some to grasp.

But if you need to count numbers to prove a point then in the 23 man NSW1 squad the GPS have 12, about half, so please don't try to water it down, and my initial comment was about the CAS 1 boys (Essentially Barker) not getting a look in, in the top team.

The best of the best, based on the season so far, and these rep games, deserve to be in the NSW1 team.

Please tell me if this logic is incorrect?

Otherwise the support logic for those who want to argue otherwise is akin to the Denis Denuto (Castle) argument that it's Mabo/the Vibe. It's Crap.

Mind you, every time I think of Mr Denuto it breaks me up.

Some call it barking, but really it's just stating facts, hard for some to cope with unfortunately.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
WLF, it was your logic - 8 cas starters as evidence of unfair treatment. I’m merely addressing your paradigm by pointing out gps only have 6. If it has ceased to be logical since you raised it, I’ll happily bow out here.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
CnP,

It's getting pointless trying to argue logic here.

It's not the numbers who got in, it's who missed out based on season performance, and not based on just 1 game, as 1 supporter tried to argue/justify.
Clearly a very difficult concept for some to grasp

But if you need to count numbers to prove a point then in the 23 man NSW1 squad the GPS have 12, about half, so please don't try to water it down, and my initial comment was about the CAS 1 boys (Essentially Barker) not getting a look in, in the top team

The best of the best, based on the season so far, and these rep games, deserve to be in the NSW1 team.

Please tell me if this logic is incorrect?

Otherwise the support logic for those who want to argue otherwise is akin to the Denis Denuto (Castle) argument that it's Mabo/the Vibe. It's Crap.

Mind you, every time I think of Mr Denuto it breaks me up.

Some call it barking, but really it's just stating facts, hard for some to cope with unfortunately.

Stating facts:
Cas beat Gps by 5 points after 1 training session. GPS played poorly but nearly stole game if winger dived low instead of flying high.
Cas did however deserve to win and played well even when down to 14 with 10 mins to go.

CHS beat ISA on the Bell.

After 2 training sessions :

Cas beat ISA on the Bell but were fortunate with penalty on bell.

GPS won easily against CHS.

I’m sure CS this year will be strong full of barker and Scots boys I recon with less pressure these boys might just shine.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, it was your logic - 8 cas starters as evidence of unfair treatment. I’m merely addressing your paradigm by pointing out gps only have 6. If it has ceased to be logical since you raised it, I’ll happily bow out here.

I can't repeat the logic again, Sidelineview is dead right, there is no logic, nor do some people get it.
If it helps re logic, post 1325, 4 posts above, and if that isn't very clear, that's ok, let's move on.

Bring on the Championships at View.

S

sidelineview

There never is pure logic with selections and being selected in CS is not a consolation prize.
CS finished 3rd in 2016.
Just to participate during the Nationals including being in camp for the lead up week for Schoolboy rugby players is a big thrill.
Talent scouts are there; players get offers from rugby and league clubs.

The whole box and dice ... its a big exciting week for all concerned.

Now lets wait for the naming of the controversial Combined States team.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
let's move on.

Bring on the Championships at View.

Well said. I think you guys have focussed on the team outcome verses the assessment of individual capability.

Without re-opening new wounds, a number of the CAS fan club need to recognise what the purpose of the NSW Schools championships has been.

It is not the same as playing for your school and the collective success. It is about assessing individual capability to perform to identify the best players for their position in NSW.

I frankly don’t give a rats if they are from GPS, CAS, CHS, ISA, CCC or AICES. I admire and celebrate success from wherever they come.

If you selected on team performance then Jack Winchester (AICES) would never have had an opportunity.

Give the selectors some credit for fulfilling their role. Don’t denigrate the process on the basis of individual disappointment masked as collective disquiet.

There are boys from GPS teams who have previously been rewarded with selection who have missed out this time that no doubt are gutted who are hoping they pick up an opportunity through CS.

Bring on the Australian Schools Championships I say. Let’s hope all players privileged with selection have their opportunity to shine and are better for the experience.

For those who miss out, accept it , listen to feedback and be a better player for the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

casrugby2017

Frank Nicholson (4)
Observations not criticisms.

CAS beat GPS yet there are 20 GPS players by my count, 11 CAS.

Trinity has 5 State players yet may very well not win a CAS competition game (0/2 so far).

Waverley seems under-represented with only Moretti.

Must be many years since Knox had no-one in the NSW sides.

Sorry Im a bit late to the feed here! I think it was a bit unexpected that at least one Knox Boy didnt make the side. To be fair, James Frear was a bit hard done by not making atleast the 2's cas side. Tom Cameron who 'should have' had a great year failed on all aspects to live up to expectations... Glassie also failed to live up the hype around his name, he couldnt even last 70min in most games without getting injured. Leigh has been all over the backline, hes played both wings and centers so he hasnt cemented himself into a spot.

I think you will see a few knox boys from year 11 make the side's next year. In 16's, they had 11 of their 15 in the cas team, 9 of which started for cas 16's. The likes of grobler and gratwicke who were 'undiscovered' last year and have really made an impact to knox this year despite being in year 11. 4 then went on to play nsw schools. 2 players from knox who should have arguably made the cas team have been injured (rechner and constable) who both made nsw schools last year. Hughes has been interchanging between 1's and 2's so he hasnt really had a decent run to show his talent. Year 11 look to be very prominent in the opens 1's and 2's this year, not trying to write knox off but they have really struggled this year to gel together.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Well the usual selection/non selection scandal has taken up another 3-4 pages this year and yeah it is unfair and life is a bitch and I am sure if it is kept going in another 20 years or so there will be a Royal Commission into NSW/ARU whatever non selection bias and scandal and all the victims who didn't make the cut will commence a class action through Slater and Gordon and there will be lots of 7.30 reports on the ABC showing Guys crying about they didn't make it through unfairness in 2018 and how it has ruined their lives.......over it....

Reactions: WLF
Status
Not open for further replies.