• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
An interesting start to Trinity's season and at this stage (although it's a strange thing to say about a team that has scored 94 points in two games) the problems look obvious, the first being to work out what the best side is. So many players are out injured. And four into two won't go, so if everyone's fit, you can't have Orr, Satiu, Moala and McLean all in the front row. Today the backline didn't work as a unit and Clunies-Ross seemed to hurt his ankle - Trinity will need him fit. The urgent jobs are ensuring that the set pieces operate better and that the defense is tighter in the outside backs. Trinity plays Shore in the last week of the holidays. That should give a fair indication of how the team will go, since the side will have had some more intensive preparation and should have more players available for selection.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hear that Auggies had trial against St Edmund's . Auggies victory by 50 points was suggested?

T

talentScout

havent heard anything from other games apart from waverly and trinity
i was told trinity were strong but a bit rusty and can improve although injuries are interupting line ups, along with waverly heard they were abit rusty and lacking size in the forwards but solid for a first hit out with paterson as a stand, smith scoring a couple of tries and their centre was also a strong runner, also young roosters sg ball player jack johnson was not named in waverlys line up is he on rep duties or is he injuried? please keep me updated on other teams
and likely line ups for up coming games

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
I understand that a Knox composite side(Annual Cadet Camp is on and many players away) is playing Marist Bros,Ashgrove(Brisbane) on Monday afternoon.

Constantine

Stan Wickham (3)
An interesting start to Trinity's season and at this stage (although it's a strange thing to say about a team that has scored 94 points in two games) the problems look obvious, the first being to work out what the best side is. So many players are out injured. And four into two won't go, so if everyone's fit, you can't have Orr, Satiu, Moala and McLean all in the front row. Today the backline didn't work as a unit and Clunies-Ross seemed to hurt his ankle - Trinity will need him fit. The urgent jobs are ensuring that the set pieces operate better and that the defense is tighter in the outside backs. Trinity plays Shore in the last week of the holidays. That should give a fair indication of how the team will go, since the side will have had some more intensive preparation and should have more players available for selection.

Snort , appreciate the update. I watched quite a few games of Trinity last year and they were a very dominant, entertaining team within the CAS.

The thing about them was they could score tries from anywhere.They might not be the best defensive team but in the end it didn't matter because they could blast 50 points out against most teams. Perhaps this will be the same this year?

As far as some of their forwards coming back and 1 or 2 new backs that have been injured, it will be very good to see Orr & Satiu back. I think Satiu will slot in straight away to front row with Orr a natural for lock like his brother.Maola could switch to flanker , a position he's played sucessfully in club rugby. This would allow a front row of McClean , Morsello and Satiu.

M

Malo

Any updates/thoughts on teams other than Trinity? The discussion seems fairly one dimensional.

C

Casnovian

I know its about Trinity - however, they are playing Shore at Shore Friday a.m. - ground access and weather permitting.
Any other trial games on in the school holidays?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity-Shore should be interesting. The two schools have very rarely played each other and I don't think Trinity has ever beaten the Shore 1st XV (although don't quote me as an authority on that). If the match goes ahead and the teams are both at reasonable strength, it will be a good test of Trinity's standing this year, especially bearing in mind that last year's unbeaten premiers lost both games to GPS opponents. As an aside, if the game does go ahead, I hope both teams treat it as a contest. Sometimes in these trial games, you see teams refusing to kick for penalty goals, in order to keep the ball in play. I find this puzzling for three reasons: first, a game isn't worth playing unless you're playing to win, even if there are no competition points at stake. Secondly, I always think you should be practising what you would do in a fully competitive contest, and sometimes that will mean winning field position and accruing points. And finally, you often see these games where neither side kicks for penalty goals until the last two minutes, when one side is two points behind and wins a penalty... if teams don't take every opportunity to score, it distorts the nature of the contest.

Anyway, that rant is not terribly relevant. Anyone know who will be lining up for Trinity? Are players like Orr, Satiu, Hazell and Roberts back on deck?

Bill McLean (32)
I know its about Trinity - however, they are playing Shore at Shore Friday a.m. - ground access and weather permitting.
Any other trial games on in the school holidays?

What ground are the playing at? In Saying that I don't believe the weather will hold up!

Regards,

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity scored three tries to two, so I suppose you could say they won. But as there were no kicks for goal and Shore fielded a different team in each half, there was no meaningful result.

The first half was very even, one try each. Junior Satiu rumbled over from close range. Shore hit back when Trinity collapsed a rolling maul and referee James Leckie awarded a penalty try.

The Shore team that took the field for the second half looked bigger and stronger than the starting side and dominated possession for over ten minutes, scoring out wide after relentless pressure. They looked likely to control the rest of the game. But Trinity won enough possession to fight back and scored two spectacular long range tries. First, a quick tap went to Clark, who put Clunies-Ross into space for a 65 meter try. Then Whicker darted down an unguarded blind side, grubbered, regathered and ran 60 meters.

Observations. Trinity is developing some potent attacking moves, the best being when Clark drifts across field and picks up Clunies-Ross on the angle (passing to Finn is a useful variation). The work moves most of the time because Clunies-Ross is such a brilliant runner. He must be somewhere in the NSW sides this year. Clark played well - some of his kicking in general play was ordinary, but some was brilliant, especially a touch-finder from inside his own half that rolled out inches from the Shore line. All the Trinity front row played well although Morsello's discipline in defense is a worry - he was twice cautioned for dangerous tackles and would have been carded had this been a competitive game. He showed in one fair but brutal covering tackle what a great defender he can be when he plays within the rules. Trinity's line out was a mess - in the first half, the lock (was it Harb?) won several clean takes but he was off in the second half and Trinity scarcely won another line out. Whicker played very well but still passes erratically under pressure. In both halves, Trinity turned over a lot of ball at the breakdown, which is something the back row must address (though Corias played well). Malaki, Ola and Satiu all ran across field too much and need to straighten their lines. One of the wingers went down with what looked like a bad knee injury.

Trinity will be happy with most of this. Orr is still to return and so is Roberts, whose speed will make a difference. Clunies-Ross beats the first tackle every time - a winger who can keep up with him in support will score a lot of tries.

Finally, a word for Shore's massive winger who complained throughout the second half that he wasn't getting the ball, then complained when he did and Ola crashed him into touch. He had a point - if I had a winger that size, I'd get him the ball and see what damage he could do.

Schools Rugby Tribune

Frank Nicholson (4)
Due to Trinity bringing only two teams (1sts and 2nds) and Shore arriving with three (1sts, 2nds, 3rds), the situation was as follows. Shore 3rds played Trinity 2nd (Shore won easily). In the main game vs Trinity 1st XV, Shore fielded their 2nd XV for the first 35 minutes, then after a 10 minute break, their 1st XV came on.

Ironically the first half was even at one try each. For the opening 15 minutes of the second half it looked like Shore would blow Trinity away, but were only able to score only one try. Trinity then got the upper hand and finished very stronly, scoring two superb individualistic long-distance tries by their No 15 and No 9. The No 15 nearly got another but ran over the touch line untouched and then right at the end he nearly went over again. He does not look anything special, but jeez he is hard to bring down!

The Trinity No 10 has got a very educated boot. Not sure if he is the same No 10 from last season? If not, they have a really adequate repacement.

The left-wing (No 11) of Shore is an awesome physical speciman, probably 2.0 mtrs and 100 kg of lean muschle. Never got a clear run though.

I expected Trinity to rely on their backs, but they sure do have a beefy pack.

Very small crowd, completely unsuitable venue (SCEGS War Memorial grounds in Willoughby) for 1st XV rugby and really, it was no more than a practice match, but the Trinity boys wanted it badly and finished very strongly. SCEGS were super confident at the start, but looked shell-shockedat the end.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
A funny thing has happened here, Schools Rugby Tribune. If you put our reports side by side, it's clear that we were both watching the same game. That doesn't always happen here...

Elsewhere on these forums, there is a report that Waverley beat Scots today. Even with all the usual caveats about trial form, that result is really interesting, because I would have expected Scots to be a top-three GPS side this year, and Waverley was disappointing in the CAS last year. If that report is right, it suggests a very competitive CAS competition this year, with at least Waverley, Barker and Trinity looking pretty solid. Was anyone there?

T

talentScout

was out at the waverly game , waverly surprised me, scots were well structured both teams at full strength ,waverly were dominate most of the game and proved to good, should be a strong CAS comp this year

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
What ground are the playing at? In Saying that I don't believe the weather will hold up!

The snouts tell me it was played on a handkerchief way out the back. So far from the #1 ground that even the shore 1st XV needed to be given travel diorections to find it. BUT, small as it was, the ground was in ace condition.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Late in the second half, Jamieson Clark received the ball inside his own half, and booted it down into the corner into touch, just a few inches from the Shore line. What impressed me more than that was that the kick was vigorously applauded by the two other Shore teams, who had stayed on to watch. It's the kind of spontaneous sportsmanship that ought to be found at this level of the game (but sadly, often isn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.