• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interested by selections
CAS I – J Mc Lean ( T ), N Koutsoukis ( W ), F Satui ( T ), H Williams ( A ), L Akopian ( B ), N Burkett ( B ), J Pierce ( K ), R Powter ( W ), S Kirkby ( B ), D Smerdon ( B ), T Davis ( B ), D Stoltz ( B ), C Watson ( K ), E Ellwood-Hall ( B ), H Jones ( B ), Coach - Mr T Glassie , Mr H Engele

CAS II – M Hooper ( W ), C Landry ( B ), P Cullen ( C ), B Heeney ( W ), P Kava ( W ), J Widders-Leece ( K ), G Corias ( T ), T Hanson ( B ), B Whicker ( T ), B O’Donnell ( W ), J Paek ( K ), R Vevers ( A ), D Goodearl ( A ), T Duffy ( W ), R Barkley-Brown ( T ), Res – J Slack-Smith ( B ), J Horton-Patch ( C ), P Goodman ( K ), H Middlebrook ( B ), T O’Connor ( W ), A MacDougall ( C ), C Dove ( B ), J Bassett ( W ), Coach Mr J Burr, Mr J Hartnett

Do selectors honestly believe Barker back line is that good?

Trinity4Lyfe

Bob McCowan (2)
That 1s team is very controversial. how goodearl (A) wasn't there is beyond me. I saw him play trinity v aloys and he was a standout. definitely the best centre I've seen this season

Jamo Mum

Frank Row (1)
That 1s team is very controversial. how goodearl (A) wasn't there is beyond me. I saw him play trinity v aloys and he was a standout. definitely the best centre I've seen this season

Goodearl (A) is in the seconds and if you really are "Trinity4Lyfe" then you should know that our beautiful Scotty Sio from Trinity played CAS2 and then went on to make the Australian School boys in that year... AND now he is a Wallaby just a few years later.
Remember cream rises to the top!!!

Trinity4Lyfe

Bob McCowan (2)
Goodearl (A) is in the seconds and if you really are "Trinity4Lyfe" then you should know that our beautiful Scotty Sio from Trinity played CAS2 and then went on to make the Australian School boys in that year. AND now he is a Wallaby just a few years later.
Remember cream rises to the top!!!

Very wise! how could I not remember Scotty? legend!

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interested by selections
CAS I – J Mc Lean ( T ), N Koutsoukis ( W ), F Satui ( T ), H Williams ( A ), L Akopian ( B ), N Burkett ( B ), J Pierce ( K ), R Powter ( W ), S Kirkby ( B ), D Smerdon ( B ), T Davis ( B ), D Stoltz ( B ), C Watson ( K ), E Ellwood-Hall ( B ), H Jones ( B ), Coach - Mr T Glassie , Mr H Engele

CAS II – M Hooper ( W ), C Landry ( B ), P Cullen ( C ), B Heeney ( W ), P Kava ( W ), J Widders-Leece ( K ), G Corias ( T ), T Hanson ( B ), B Whicker ( T ), B O’Donnell ( W ), J Paek ( K ), R Vevers ( A ), D Goodearl ( A ), T Duffy ( W ), R Barkley-Brown ( T ), Res – J Slack-Smith ( B ), J Horton-Patch ( C ), P Goodman ( K ), H Middlebrook ( B ), T O’Connor ( W ), A MacDougall ( C ), C Dove ( B ), J Bassett ( W ), Coach Mr J Burr, Mr J Hartnett

Well it's a guess,but since they picked them,I think they do!

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Interested by selections

I'm from the GPS side of the fence. From my reading of various posts, I'd be pissed off if I was the Barker guy that only made the reserves. As an Australian Schoolboy, Jones only had to lace up a boot and run on to make CAS 1's. You may not agree with it, but that's how it is.

At least CAS has more than the 2 games that GPS selection is based on. The boys that made GPS/NSW/Aussie last year have already been fitted for their jerseys. Only a performance that stomps on the cream that has already risen to the top will change the pre-conceived ideas of selectors. FFS Kearns and Farr-Jones couldn't even make their school 1stXV and Campese never made Australian Schools (I'm sure there are plenty of CAS examples)

Fred87

Frank Nicholson (4)
Score was actually 37-22 to Barker (scoreboard was wrong). Terrific physical game with Barker scoring 5 tries to 4. Better team won, but Barker knew they'd had a tough day out. McLean and Satiu were dominant for Trinity, both were outstanding. Jones binned for a couple of shoulder charges, probably would have been red carded for 2nd offence by some other refs. Hard for barker to lose it from here.

First shoulder charge penalized was by Dove not Jones. It was a kick through by Barkley-Brown - a clumsy dive to stop the kick resulted in a low charge that was more likely to injure Dove than Barkley-Brown. Nevertheless he hit Barkley-Brown without arms so penalty. On the sin bin tackle Jones had his arms out (not tucked in as per a regular shoulder charge) but the Trinity player bounced off him before he could wrap up. Yellow card was excessive. Not correct to report as you have.

Agree i think the score was 37-22. Last score was a Barker penalty but the scoreboard put up a converted try. Barker were ahead all day after Davis scored after only a minute or two.

Fred87

Frank Nicholson (4)

I've seen every Barker game this year - Goodearl is easily the best 13 we have faced. Did Watson (K) play against Barker?

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)
<body><p><p>
I've seen every Barker game this year - Goodearl is easily the best 13 we have faced. Did Watson (K) play against Barker?
<p><br><p>Watson was injured within the first 10 minutes against Barker, and was soon after pulled from the field. Apparently played very high level Rugby League and Union before joining the CAS competition this year, as in NSW level. I haven't seen him play yet (except in the Knox v Barker clash), so I can't comment on wether I think he should have made the side.

Fred87

Frank Nicholson (4)
<body><p><p> <p><br><p>Watson was injured within the first 10 minutes against Barker, and was soon after pulled from the field. Apparently played very high level Rugby League and Union before joining the CAS competition this year, as in NSW level. I haven't seen him play yet (except in the Knox v Barker clash), so I can't comment on wether I think he should have made the side.

Yep - that makes sense. Thought Widders-Lee would have gone close to CAS1, was very strong and fast against Barker. Ellood-Hall/ Paek must have been a close call.

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)
<body><p><p>
how the **** is eddie ellwood-hall in the CAS firsts and not paek?
<p><br><p>Probably wanted to keep the most dominant back 3 in the competition together. They already work well as a unit/know the each others style of play.

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)
<body><p>But I do agree. Paek has looked fast and dominant all season. Must have been a close call.

YR!

Peter Burge (5)
<body><p><p> <p><br><p>Probably wanted to keep the most dominant back 3 in the competition together. They already work well as a unit/know the each others style of play.

Agreed. Paek is unlucky not to be included, but keeping Barker's back 3 is an obvious choice.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
It is my understanding that these CAS teams have a couple of training sessions and then play CHS on Thursday 6th, the teams are then re-announced on Sat 15th, after round 6, they then play GPS on Tue 18th, I assume that is to account for injury and maybe to strengthen combinatiions. I'm guessing a dominant game in 2nds may be rewarded with a promotion to 1sts.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
All yellow cards are serious, and deserve discussion, the only thing I noted about Jones's card was that the ref played on for quite some time so it appeard that he did not deem it so bad as to penalise and march him straight away,and when he did come back to it, there was some question as to what he was going to do.

C.A.S rugby observer

Bob McCowan (2)
Interesting choice in flankers none of them seem to play the flankers role I.e getting turnovers at the breakdown besides Burkett and pierce who have had got a few good turnovers this season.I think Tom oconnor should be in the cas 1st with Burkett and the 2nds flankers would be a strong fight between pierce, stevens or the other barker flanker. As they have all showed to be good at the break down gettin many turnovers this season. And interesting choice in picking Elwood hall over paek as I think paek had it over him all season. I think Elwood hall will have to play a great game against chs if he wants to keep his spot for the GPS game. Same goes with the flankers in both cas 1s and 2s

Nathan's

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don't think it's such a bad idea to have 6 out of the 7 backline players come from Barker. Yes, stars may have missed out, such as Goddearl and Paek, but don't forget rugby is a team sport. Barker has the best backline in the competition, and the selection of those two in CAS II is not going to hampen their chances at a NSW jersey. Cast you minds back to last year, GPS I beat CAS I 35-12, and CAS I had some solid players in that side (likes of Wilson etc.). What this 2013 backline will possess are combinations. Kirkby, Smerdon, Davis, Stoltz and Jones will know exactly where eachother will be, combine that with the two wingers and this backline should no doubt put some pressure on the GPS one, well at least I don't see why they wouldn't. As you can see, they definitely have some serious try-scoring ability. The coaches may be looking ahead to try and have the best chance possible of ending the drought against GPS sides. You can see how combinations work by watching how the Reds work with Genia and Cooper, it's the same thing here. I agree that the likes of Goodearl and Paek were unlucky, but the teams have been selected now. They can still even break into the firsts.

Keen observer

Bob McCowan (2)
Selection in cas is a lottery. Schools trade off positions. I'll give you if you give me. My greatest sadness is that selections are made based on know and prior glory. Where's the backing for excellent rugby players who put all on the line for schools and don't show boat. How do you select flankers that pelican around the edges of rucks and never get in them. How do you not pick kids who pay all over their opposite numbers and yet because the other is in a " good" backline they get a jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.