• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

farr-jones fan

Frank Row (1)
1st XV – McLean ( T ), Koutsoukis ( W ), Satui ( T ), Heeney ( W ), Akopian ( B ), Burkett ( B ), Van Zyl ( K ), Powter ( W ), Kirkby ( B ), Smerdon ( B ), Davis ( B ), Stoltz ( B ), Dove ( B ), Ellwood-Hall ( B ), Jones ( B ).
2nd XV – Hooper ( W ), Landry ( B ), Cullen ( C ), Middlebrook ( B ), Kava ( W ), Corias ( T ), Summerhayes ( C ), Hanson ( B ), Whicker ( T ), O’Donnell ( W ), Paek ( K ), Vevers ( A ), Goodearl ( A ), Bassett ( W ), Barkley-Brown ( T ). Res - Slack-Smith ( B ), Horton-Patch ( C ), Goodman ( K ), Boulton ( K ), Harvey ( C ), MacDougall ( C ), Newby ( K ), Nelson ( C ).

vevers and goodearl lucky... completely outplayed today by trinity centre 12. (and acknowledged as so by alloys captain during presentations.) vevers had another head knock today and needed time out, goodearl lurked in an offside position for most of the game, neither were particularly effective at breaking the line in attack and on more than one occassion were unable to stop trinity breaking the line... guess they can be thankful the selectors thought that alloys should have reps at cas.

golden oldie

Bob McCowan (2)
Regrettably you show an bias untypical of one who really appreciates rugby. Waverely took their foot off the gas and paid for it. It is the failing of a great side who had Barker beaten and blew it. Wayerly are often accused of refree bias amongst their hometown apparatchiks in the lower teams , but in this case we have a totally independant referee accused of cheating. Van Zyl the Knox 8 outplayed Powter like he did not exist, Knox wanted it and won via exelent backline defence against an over confident side. Waverly talked to the ref after the game because they were blitzed by a more determined less experienced side who successfully defended their home turf. Have the grace to accept defeat. The Waverley 2 and 10 had brilliant games as did Duffy and Meyer , the 10 and 15 for K.

Just a small correction for jim bellows.
Knox 10 was Nicholas, 15 was Field. I have the program from today. Both Year 11 boys.

beeman

Frank Row (1)
I have been a keen follower of g&grf for a long time now especially CAS rugby, but decided to join to voice my opinion about the post of silverarrow.
Firstly I would have to say that the referee didn't win Knox the game today, the Knox team ran out with confidence and spirit and played an extremely tough game of rugby, and I do not believe Waverley were huge standouts, there were very long periods of attack when Knox was hammering the Waverley try line many times during the match.
The comment about naryans talk with the referee after the game is nothing but completely wrong. Naryan asked the reff why he was sin binned, and the reff told him it was for dissent against the referee which is a fair cardabke offence and also adding to this was the professional foul of keeping the ball away from knox when they had the chance to take a quick tap near the line. Naryan then agreed with the referees decision, at no point did the referee say it was a mistake.
The try attempt by powter was held up in a last ditch effort by captain stirzaker, and even though the Waverley supporters and coaches 75 metres away swore he got it down, I was standing on the ledge right above the corner and it was definately held up.
After the match I was near the referees and coaches for a short time and can say that the main Waverley coach was fine in asking for a few explanations but the show put on by the younger assistant coach was embarrassing.
Both teams played good rugby today and it was a fantastic match to watch, from Waverley I was quite impressed by the number 10 odonnel, the captain koutoukis, the number 12 and the number 14. From Knox there were good games by the winger paek, the centre newby
Sorry but I have to say silverarrow was spot on.
I was with a group of parents who were all shocked to hear Wave 9 report that the ref said "my mistake".
On my video Koutsoukis who was on the spot went up ecstatically when Wav 8 scored the try that ref eventually said was held up.
Also on my video of the game is the very unsportsmanlike cheering of Knox students when Wave 7 was knocked out in a tackle and fell over after trying to stand up.
So I fully support the opinion of the refereeing and game that silver arrow and several others have above.
In fact sw57 you sound a bit like you are the ref talking?

footylover101

Allen Oxlade (6)
vevers and goodearl lucky. completely outplayed today by trinity centre 12. (and acknowledged as so by alloys captain during presentations.) vevers had another head knock today and needed time out, goodearl lurked in an offside position for most of the game, neither were particularly effective at breaking the line in attack and on more than one occassion were unable to stop trinity breaking the line. guess they can be thankful the selectors thought that alloys should have reps at cas.
Well that's completely ridiculous considering they were the star players in a winning side? Good earl was naturally slightly tentative going into the match after not playing for 4 weeks. The trinity centres very poor and completely reliant on the winger for any attacking menace.

jimbellows

Bob McCowan (2)
Thanks Golden, no correction necessary,as you will see on a re-read I was talking of Waverley and Knox players alternatively , as it happens, entirely accurately. Good on them all.

jimbellows

Bob McCowan (2)
Sorry but I have to say silverarrow was spot on.
I was with a group of parents who were all shocked to hear Wave 9 report that the ref said "my mistake".
On my video Koutsoukis who was on the spot went up ecstatically when Wav 8 scored the try that ref eventually said was held up.
Also on my video of the game is the very unsportsmanlike cheering of Knox students when Wave 7 was knocked out in a tackle and fell over after trying to stand up.
So I fully support the opinion of the refereeing and game that silver arrow and several others have above.
In fact sw57 you sound a bit like you are the ref talking?

jimbellows

Bob McCowan (2)
Unfortunately for Waverley it was held up, the Knox 9 got right under the ball.Remarkable but totally true effort. Going up is an old and universal TV ploy. Very unfortunate that the 7 was knocked about he is a strong player which is probably why he tried to get up too early. I think his staggering courageously to his feet several times brought about a spontaneous noise from the crowd in sympathy with his efforts. What is wrong with the Waverely staff? he should have been kept down to recover !!! I did not feel it was derisory at all, just an expression of surprise that he was not looked after. Knox won fair and square and it will always be so. I hope Waverley do a propper job on Barker. Maybe this will help the comp!

C.A.S rugby observer

Bob McCowan (2)
From the stands it looked as if Waverley had many opportunities at stealing the ball at the break down only to have the Knox players not releasing the ball ad then getting the penalty for the tackler not releasing even when the player contesting for the ball wasn't even the tackler. Quite a lot of times it seemed as if waverley 7 will come up with the turnover only to be pebalised it was a poorly reffed game and the ref should be ashamed.. Not taking anything away from the Knox boys they did put up a hell of a fight but I just think that waverley were the better team and I was Shocked at the crowd cheering when the waverley 7 tried getting back to his feet and In the defensive line my hat goes of to the young lad who was playing a great game up to that incident

jimbellows

Bob McCowan (2)
From the stands it looked as if Waverley had many opportunities at stealing the ball at the break down only to have the Knox players not releasing the ball ad then getting the penalty for the tackler not releasing even when the player contesting for the ball wasn't even the tackler. Quite a lot of times it seemed as if waverley 7 will come up with the turnover only to be pebalised it was a poorly reffed game and the ref should be ashamed.. Not taking anything away from the Knox boys they did put up a hell of a fight but I just think that waverley were the better team and I was Shocked at the crowd cheering when the waverley 7 tried getting back to his feet and In the defensive line my hat goes of to the young lad who was playing a great game up to that incident

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Cranbrook 10 - 37? Barker
Same again as per most CAS games against Barker this year. Pretty even in the forwards but Barker having too much firepower in the backs. Hard straight running by bigger faster skilful backs gets plenty of points. Credit to Cranbrook for a gutsy performance but Barker backline is CAS backline and therefore pretty impressive. Harry Jones was outstanding and makes such a difference - he scored plenty of points and set up a most of the others too.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
vevers and goodearl lucky. completely outplayed today by trinity centre 12. (and acknowledged as so by alloys captain during presentations.) vevers had another head knock today and needed time out, goodearl lurked in an offside position for most of the game, neither were particularly effective at breaking the line in attack and on more than one occassion were unable to stop trinity breaking the line. guess they can be thankful the selectors thought that alloys should have reps at cas.

Mate what game were u watching. Goodearl is one of the toughest guys I have seen play at aloys for several years going out today after having 20 stitches placed in his heel on a day or so prior. Great defensive effort and of all players of the field the trinity 14 looked the most dangerous in the last twenty minutes with great carving runs and some solid busts - I am not usually on the aloys bandwagon but it was a strong effort to hang on against a bigger trinity side

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)
But I suppose once again, by midway in the second half, the Cranbrook crowd were silenced, as they dominated in what really matters, the rugby.

Quick note on the game:

Very impressed by Barker 9, showing an exceptional pass, controlling the Barker pack, and pinching a few balls. This allowed the backs some quality possession, leading to fantastic tries from the back three. The forwards did their job well, securing possession as required.

Standout for Cranbrook was Summerhayes, literally like a wrecking ball on the park, with massive runs all day through the Barker pack. The 9 and 10 also combined well to spread the ball wide.

In the end, it came down to Barkers goal line defence, which even after taking some strong battering from their opponents, only let in one try.

Good spectacle with both sides playing some good running rugby. Barker just too strong (as usual?).

Propigate

Frank Row (1)
Leave off the comments about crowd jeers please. Stick to the game.
But crowd behaviour, albeit the falling standards of crowd behaviour is part of the game unfortunately. Forget that we are talking about schoolboys here - if you can't go and support your team, take your children without being subjected to foul language and poor sportsmanship then what is the point. Yr censorship Cyclopath has the same result as removing offended visitors from a stand - issue is totally glossed over and boys we are responsible for educating are allowed to continue with their boorish behaviour.

benson13

Bob McCowan (2)
I have been a keen follower of g&grf for a long time now especially CAS rugby, but decided to join to voice my opinion about the post of silverarrow.
Firstly I would have to say that the referee didn't win Knox the game today, the Knox team ran out with confidence and spirit and played an extremely tough game of rugby, and I do not believe Waverley were huge standouts, there were very long periods of attack when Knox was hammering the Waverley try line many times during the match.
The comment about naryans talk with the referee after the game is nothing but completely wrong. Naryan asked the reff why he was sin binned, and the reff told him it was for dissent against the referee which is a fair cardabke offence and also adding to this was the professional foul of keeping the ball away from knox when they had the chance to take a quick tap near the line. Naryan then agreed with the referees decision, at no point did the referee say it was a mistake.
The try attempt by powter was held up in a last ditch effort by captain stirzaker, and even though the Waverley supporters and coaches 75 metres away swore he got it down, I was standing on the ledge right above the corner and it was definately held up.
After the match I was near the referees and coaches for a short time and can say that the main Waverley coach was fine in asking for a few explanations but the show put on by the younger assistant coach was embarrassing.
Both teams played good rugby today and it was a fantastic match to watch, from Waverley I was quite impressed by the number 10 odonnel, the captain koutoukis, the number 12 and the number 14. From Knox there were good games by the winger paek, the centre newby

Unfortunately your comments are about the sin bin are incorrect. The feedback came from the head coaches who spoke with the ref at length. Narayan was binned for coming off his feet when he was clearly on his feet to make the steal.

The ref did apologise to him and the coach face to face.

I have never seen a worse display of inconsistency in school boy rugby which is a shame because it was a tough battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.