• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Did anybody go to Waverley v Barker to provide a few sentences for the CAS blog (not counting fighting and bad behaviour)?

We've got two nice reports from oldandslow and Elster and just need a few sentences for the third game to round it out and add in the photos I have.

Could someone give it a go please?

Chris Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
That was a good take

He is a funny case - someone told me he is a very good athlete but doesn't look like he runs as fast as he can on the field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He is a national discus thrower (seen the name at certain carnivals)
Although a little slow off the mark due to his height, you probably wouldn't want to give him too much room to run. Would certainly gather far too much speed to chase off an intercept or loose ball.

Chris Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
^^^ From the Herald:
First XV CAS Round 4
Barker 46 ( M Brouff 2, S Campbell 2, H Phipps, D Balcomb Tries D Balcomb 5 Goals 2 Pen goals) bt Waverley 0

Knox 58 (J Widders-Leece 3 M Basson 2, B Van Zyl 2, J Pierce J Williams tries L Price 3 L Bosch 2 Goals L Price pen goal) bt St Aloysius 13 ( T Nowlan T Dunlop tries J Dainton pen goal)

Cranbrook 81 bt Trinity 8

Second XV
Barker 36 bt Waverley 0
Knox 26 bt St Aloysius 19
Cranbrook 25 bt Trinity 3
Nowlan's dummy pass between the outside Knox backs was outstanding. Extremely entertaining first try. Looked as though aloys might present Knox their third upset between the two sides. Was not to be.....

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
8. Makas (14) . Have massive wraps on this kid

I think he is a very strong player, but I wonder how much of his dominance at this level is to do with his development. He's bloody well built for an 18(?) year old - eventually others will catch up on that front.

But his physicality is still very promising. Whatever - he's a hell of a lot better than I was.

sw57

Bob McCowan (2)
Some Past Knox Talent

1- Ben Alexander
2- Nathan Charles
3- Ross Turnbull
4- Peter Fitzsimons
5- Steve Cutler
6- Bob Davies
7- Mark Johnson
8- Andrew Rasmus
9- Nic Stirzaker
10- John Dowse
11- Adrian Turnbull
12- Tom Carter
13- Dave Burnett
14- Phil Tuck
15- Cam Clark

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Chatting with a few mates over the weekend about waverley's horror season and turned to talk of better times, this is a side of wav graduates. few omissions there dave brown.

Maybe other cas schools can name heir sides?

15 Ryan Cross
14 Michael Cleary
13 Morgan Turinui
12 Luke Ricketson
11 Tom English
10 Cyril Towers
9 Brad Burke
8 Stephen Hoiles
7 Jed Holoway
6 Owen Finegan
5 Troy Jaques
4 Tim Kava
3 Sam Talaki
2 Adam Frier
1 Steve Finnane

No Matt Burke?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
No Matt Burke?
The Waverley Matt Burke who played in the 1987 world cup as opposed to the Matt Burke from SJC, was probably unlucky not to get a spot on the wing infront of English, just though more on the forum would recognise english

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
OK - the all-time Trinity team. With explanatory notes, owing to a distinct shortage of household names:

1 Scott Sio (1st XV 2007-09, Australian Schoolboys, Brumbies and Australia)
2 James Bullock (1st XV 1991-92, represented NSW 1999-2000)
3 Dene Glasson (1st XV 1977-78, represented NSW 1984)
4 Michael Abbott (1st XV 1992-94, Australian Schoolboys 1994, First Grade for Southern Districts and Parramatta)
5 Norman Burns (1st XV 1923-26, represented Victoria, played for Australia v The Rest in 1931 Test trial)
6 Fotu Auelua (1st XV 2001, Australian Schoolboys, Brumbies)
7 Brad Pillinger (1st XV 1982-83, Australian Schoolboys, represented Sydney 1992 and NSW B 1993)
8 Roy Hoskins (1st XV 1917-19, NSW and Australia 1924)
9 Jimmy Harris (1st XV 1951-53, represented NSW 1956)
10 Reg Sutton (1st XV 1954-56, represented ACT 1959-60, Queensland 1962, NSW 1963 - withdrew from 1963 Wallaby tour because it clashed with his wedding)
11 Cam Gordon (1st XV 1920-21, toured with the 1927-28 Waratahs, scored the winning try in his only Test against the All Blacks, 1929)
12 Rory Sidey (1st XV 2002-04, represented Waratahs, Force and Rebels)
13 Jason Madz (1st XV 1989-90, 34 appearances for NSW 1994-97)
14 Ken Taubman (1st XV 1937-40, represented Sydney 1942, killed on service in RAF 1944)
15 Jim Ledgerwood (1st XV 1936-38, captain of the premiers 1937-38, First Grade for Western Suburbs before the war ended his career)

On the bench: Rick Allen (1st XV 1969-71, Australian Schoolboys 1969); Usaia O'Sullivan (1st XV 2008-2010, Australian Schoolboys 2010); Jack Debreczeni (1st XV 2009-2011, Australian Schoolboys 2011, debut for the Rebels last Friday); and Warwick Taafe (1st XV 1964, represented Sydney 1967)

david turner

Bob McCowan (2)
It is great to see CAS players emerging into the international scene. It shows how much the young old boys of CAS can really offer against the likes of players in GPS and ISA.
K- Ben Alexander
K- Nathan Charles (debut)
T- Scott Sio
A- Bernard Foley
A- Pat McCabe
(Great to see aloys old boys there)

In saying that, the leading teams this year Knox and Cranbrook have really proven to the competition as well as others that they are a real spectacle to the Sydney rugby community and they can give other great schools like Newington and joeys a run for their money as seen in the trials. I really hope to see CAS step up against the GPS boys in the end of season representative matches.
My picks for CAS:
1. Harry McLennan - T
2. Jimmy Widders-Leece - K
3. Austin Black - K
4. Nic Burkett - B
5. Hugh Summerhayes - C
6. Brett Van Zyl - K
7. Nick Slaven - A
8. Makas - C
9. Steve Kirkby - B
10. Sam Renton - C
11. Up for grabs
12. James Dainton - A
13. Conor Watson - K
14. Up for grabs
15. Rory Vevers - A
Aloys players are emerging talents, especially slaven, he is a great ball player and natural 7, that seems to carry the Aloysius forwards. Much like dainton, put him in a fantastic backline (like the CAS backline) and he can show off his true potential and vision.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
It is great to see CAS players emerging into the international scene. It shows how much the young old boys of CAS can really offer against the likes of players in GPS and ISA.
K- Ben Alexander
K- Nathan Charles (debut)
T- Scott Sio
A- Bernard Foley
A- Pat McCabe
(Great to see aloys old boys there)

In saying that, the leading teams this year Knox and Cranbrook have really proven to the competition as well as others that they are a real spectacle to the Sydney rugby community and they can give other great schools like Newington and joeys a run for their money as seen in the trials. I really hope to see CAS step up against the GPS boys in the end of season representative matches.
My picks for CAS:
1. Harry McLennan - T
2. Jimmy Widders-Leece - K
3. Austin Black - K
4. Nic Burkett - B
5. Hugh Summerhayes - C
6. Brett Van Zyl - K
7. Nick Slaven - A
8. Makas - C
9. Steve Kirkby - B
10. Sam Renton - C
11. Up for grabs
12. James Dainton - A
13. Conor Watson - K
14. Up for grabs
15. Rory Vevers - A
Aloys players are emerging talents, especially slaven, he is a great ball player and natural 7, that seems to carry the Aloysius forwards. Much like dainton, put him in a fantastic backline (like the CAS backline) and he can show off his true potential and vision.

I admire your loyalty, and they're good players, but if St Aloysius gets three players in the 1sts, I will eat my old jockstrap.

S

sidelineview

2014 Representative season – updated 6/5/14
CAS 16s
South Harbour selections ( as of 23rd May )
Cranbrook – N Busteed, M Matters, D Quinn, M Reynolds, J Smith, A Spira, H Stewart, T Burston
Trinity – A Connolly, D Koutoulos, R Longville, J Morris, L Rasch, K Souvaliotis, M Swallow, A Tonkin, J Wayland
Waverley – T Bailey, Z Brown, A Hassan, E Micallef, J Mohi, B O’Sullivan, L Smith, J Yoannidis

Coach – Mr K Lammert ( T )

Comments?

baboom

Frank Row (1)
stand out players from both teams?
Noah Busteed from cranbrook had a great game at 10, his conversion kicking was excellent. Andrew Spira obviously another standout, constantlybreaking the line. Mack Matters did not miss a tackle. A new addition to the backline Matt Tierney at fullback made the backline much more straight and attcked very well.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Saw 4 games of rugby at Queens Park yesterday and have to say an unfortunate trend emerged. Waverley teams started out playing competitive rugby, but once they fell behind on the scoreboard were more interested in the fight than the game. Numerous head high tackles and other foul play. The Waverley boys in the stand loudly cheered every high tackle and dust up.

Absolute low point was just into the second half of the 2nds match - Waverley 4 was reported by both touch judges and given a red card (punching and possible head butt). As he walked off the Waverley boys in the stand yelled out 3 cheers for "name" (I won't name the player) and proceeded with the 3 cheers and applause. The coach did not speak to the player about letting the side down etc.

This crowd behavior and the terrible playing discipline suggest . well i'm not sure what. But schoolboy rugby has a particular code that was not evident yesterday. This was not a few isolated incidents, it was a clear pattern of behavior.

On a positive note i thought the referees did an excellent job under difficult conditions and i congratulate Waverley on supplying accredited touch judges for so many games (something Barker regularly fails at).

Note that someone on a later thread stated that a Barker player was red carded for stomping. If true I can't see any mention of it on your thread which I am sure is simply an oversight on your part and not indicative of a selective recollection that fits your narrative.
I wasn't at the game but was at last year's game against Barker when a Barker 1sts player was red carded for punching - if it is true that a Barker player has been sent off in consecutive years am I therefore allowed to call this an unfortunate trend in Barker rugby and suggestive of - i'm not sure what ?
Last year's blog contained any number of accusations of schoolboys acting inappropriately such as the Knox crowd cheering and abusing a heavily concussed Waverley player unsuccessfully trying to regain his feet and this year I've seen a Trinity player yellow carded for lifting in a tackle and stomping off as an aggrieved party and read of numerous fracas including a SBHS red carded player dropping the f bomb repeatedly in front of the crowd and having a Grade A tantrum as the obviously aggrieved party.
Teenage boys are pretty emotional at sports time and, while poor behaviour can't be excused, I don't think these '..they were horrible and we were virtuous' types of blogs do anything other than reveal a lack of objectivity from the author. The evidence would suggest that we all need to work at improving teenage boys' behaviour at sports times. That goes for all schools in all the competitions.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
Note that someone on a later thread stated that a Barker player was red carded for stomping. If true I can't see any mention of it on your thread which I am sure is simply an oversight on your part and not indicative of a selective recollection that fits your narrative.
I wasn't at the game but was at last year's game against Barker when a Barker 1sts player was red carded for punching - if it is true that a Barker player has been sent off in consecutive years am I therefore allowed to call this an unfortunate trend in Barker rugby and suggestive of - i'm not sure what ?

I left the firsts early - i did not see a red card and note that the post you refer to did not in fact mention a red card but "cited". I don't know the "citing" process or how it is reported.

I was also at the game last year. The Barker boy red carded punched a boy in retaliation. He was correctly red carded. This year the Barker players were clearly well drilled not to respond to provocation. Agree with sidelineview that there was plenty of aggression from both sides.

Guess the scores say it all:
1sts Barker 46-0
2nds Barker 36-0
3rds Barker 32-7

All the games were close at half time
1sts 13-0 (& Waverley missed 2 penalties so it could have been closer)
2nds 10-0
3rds don't recall the exact score but Waverley were well in it

Agree teenage boys (and a few parents) have their emotions run a bit wild at these matches. But three cheers from the boys in the stand for the boy who got a red card did seem a bit much....

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The reports about the fighting last year were low lights of 2013 schools rugby discussion and I had to put a stop to it.

There were people claiming to be close by an incident who described what they saw, who had wildly different views, and had a go at each other in the forum.

I don't care if a person is 100% right: we can't talk about these things in a schools forum because the very discussion devalues it.

The health of the thread, and schools' forums generally, is more important than who was in the right, or who the wrong.

Young fellows will fight when they have physical contests: it is part of the evolution of homo sapiens; but we don't have to talk about it.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Much harder to put together a cranbrook team , however there have been some good ins, and by and large some "good blokes"

1. John pilton (82)
2. Justin McDonald (86) . One of the best
3. John arber (86) or will Ashton (97)
4. Anthony Abrahams . Of the magnificent 7 apartheid boycotters(67)
5. Nick burnham .(89).. Nice bloke . Pick him over other blokes that rate themselves
6.john Ryan (85)
7. Dominic o'neil (95)
8. Makas (14) . Have massive wraps on this kid
9. Richard fogarty (99)
10. Mark Patterson (84)
11. Grant lodge (86)
12. Christian Warner (94?)
13. Ed Stubbs (06)
14. Ian Williams (82)
15. Daniel batman (98?) . Even if he was only there for a bit

Manager packer/gyngell . Be a good party

Coach . Marty Pitt (rip)

Actually very sad how many of the above are already rip . And 80s were definitely the glory days . Although 2014 shaping up to be maybe a new dawn ...?

That wouldn't be the Ian Williams who attended Epping Boys High from Years 7-12 and played for the Australian schoolboys but then magically appeared for a second year in Year 12, this time at Cranbrook in 1982 ? Or was it another locally produced Cranbrook student by the name of Ian Williams who did Year 12 in 1982 ?

Trinity vs Cranbrook match report

Result: 81-8

This was a disappointing game from both teams. The disorganised, disarrayed back line of trinity was the breaking point for an otherwise decent forward pack, held together by the debutant scrum half Ryan Golder and number 8 James wayland, both putting in solid performances given the choas around them.

That was the good news.

The game began with a shocker of a knock on ultimately leading to a try of the resulting scrum. Some could say this set the tone for the whole game, this was the undoing of it all, so early on.

Paragraph deleted - read the rules of the schoolboy forum about negative comments about schools' players trying their best. I didn't delete the whole post because the rest of it was excellent. LG
Overall there were glimpses of hope in this squad. Halfback Ryan Golder and prop Edward cook provided some leadership and communication from the onset and throughout. Golder in particular starting the play that lead to the try for cook towards the end of the first half.

Cranbrook, as I mentioned earlier, would almost be disappointed with this result. The far superior running play, communication and all round technique would have lead many to believe the gap between the two sides should have been larger. In particular the two flankers summerhayes and Tom Mahoney provided an excellent wall of defence and attack and almost every breakdown, their running play is to be commended.

Prop Tom hill was another stand out for brook and is to be commended.

Overall this was a very promising performance for Cranbrook, this proves that they can effectively put away struggling teams like trinity, and have the ability to tough it out against the powerhouses of Knox and barker.

Any thoughts/opinions on the match?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Some Past Knox Talent

1- Ben Alexander
2- Nathan Charles
3- Ross Turnbull
4- Peter Fitzsimons
5- Steve Cutler
6- Bob Davies
7- Mark Johnson
8- Andrew Rasmus
9- Nic Stirzaker
10- John Dowse
11- Adrian Turnbull
12- Tom Carter
13- Dave Burnett
14- Phil Tuck
15- Cam Clark

That's pretty handy. But memory sometimes plays tricks on you. For example, in my mind, the Knox 1st XV of 1977 was sensational - huge forwards, great back row and fast backs. But, when I checked on it, they didn't actually win the "unofficial" premiership - not outright, anyway. They won their first four games (edging out Trinity 13-9 in a colossal struggle) but lost the last game 7-8 to Barker, with whom they shared the title (Barker having lost 3-9 to Trinity). But how about this for a side: Cutler was in the second row, and unless my memory is playing tricks on me, Fitzsimons played a bit there too (he left in 1978). Then two NSW Schools back-rowers in Richie Vaughan and Bob Davis, and an Australian Schools winger in Phil Tuck. And Craig Laycock, who was then in Year 10, played at 10 and went on to play NSW Schools the next year.

Incidentally, I think this was the season in which St Aloysius went through the five rounds without scoring even a single point - not one measly penalty. Yet they bounced back with a strong side the next year.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity vs Cranbrook match report

Result: 81-8

This was a disappointing game from both teams. The disorganised, disarrayed back line of trinity was the breaking point for an otherwise decent forward pack, held together by the debutant scrum half Ryan Golder and number 8 James wayland, both putting in solid performances given the choas around them.

That was the good news.

The game began with a shocker of a knock on ultimately leading to a try of the resulting scrum. Some could say this set the tone for the whole game, this was the undoing of it all, so early on.

Paragraph deleted - read the rules of the schoolboy forum about negative comments about schools' players trying their best. I didn't delete the whole post because the rest of it was excellent. LG
Overall there were glimpses of hope in this squad. Halfback Ryan Golder and prop Edward cook provided some leadership and communication from the onset and throughout. Golder in particular starting the play that lead to the try for cook towards the end of the first half.

Cranbrook, as I mentioned earlier, would almost be disappointed with this result. The far superior running play, communication and all round technique would have lead many to believe the gap between the two sides should have been larger. In particular the two flankers summerhayes and Tom Mahoney provided an excellent wall of defence and attack and almost every breakdown, their running play is to be commended.

Prop Tom hill was another stand out for brook and is to be commended.

Overall this was a very promising performance for Cranbrook, this proves that they can effectively put away struggling teams like trinity, and have the ability to tough it out against the powerhouses of Knox and barker.

Any thoughts/opinions on the match?

Well, I doubt Cranbrook will be disappointed to have scored 81 points. I only saw the first half, and I thought the lead could have been more than 31-8 had Renton not kicked away so much possession, but when you score 81, you can be satisfied, I think.

Trinity put in a fair effort in the first half, considering how badly weakened the team was. Their best attacking work actually came from returning Renton's kicks. What was noticeable was that Trinity couldn't hold possession for more than one phase at a time, and that was largely due to excellent work from the Cranbrook back row. Cranbrook also did very well to get the ball wide to the wings, who usually had heaps of space in which to work.

Weirdly, I wouldn't write off Trinity against Barker next week. It really all depends who makes it onto the field. If they get McLennan, Corias, Barkley-Brown and Siteine back, they'll be competitive. If.

Status
Not open for further replies.