• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
I haven't seen Cranbrook play this year but this talk about structured play was exactly what I was thinking when I watched Knox play Trinity a couple of rounds ago.

Kicking from their 22, going for field position, and only unleashing the back line in opposition territory. Only late in the second half, when the game was well and truly won, did they start throwing the ball around.

I'm curious as to whether this level of discipline and structure, at school boys level, is what a professional coaching set up brings. Does Cranbrook have a similar coaching structure?

This issue surrounding professional coaching or not is a distraction. The question that needs to be addressed is good coaching versus bad coaching. The change this year in the Cranbrook setup is that there is a new head coach but he also happens to be a teacher at the school. The man has the right approach, for the right team and it is the right time. I am not sure I agree that schoolboy rugby should only be applauded when it is a demonstration of nothing more than a student's raw talent. I assume that he may well develop a reputation for being a good rugby coach but for rugby fans to then suggest he shouldn't be allowed to coach because it is unfair to the knucklehead coaches is a nonsense. We have maths teachers who are not necessarily mathematicians but we expect them to work hard, develop their skills and excel at the teaching of mathematics. To expect any less of a schoolboy rugby coach is peculiar. Long gone are the days of star jumps and the smartest thing you could do is put vaseline on your knees!

The change in Cranbrook rugby this year is that they are playing a smarter TEAM game and each player is playing to their strengths. A better more impressive CAS competition it will be when success perhaps comes to school based teams that can use both their brains as well as their muscle - a great reason to send our kids to good schools.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
The change in Cranbrook rugby this year is that they are playing a smarter TEAM game and each player is playing to their strengths. A better more impressive CAS competition it will be when success perhaps comes to school based teams that can use both their brains as well as their muscle - a great reason to send our kids to good schools.

Cranbrook won the 16A's 2 years ago so it was a good group coming through. Your comment about team has been very evident in recent years at Barker - each year has featured very different game plans tailored to the personnel available. Congrats to Cranbrook on a good year so far.

Just seen the draw for Saturday - Trinity are only fielding 2 teams in the u16's, 2 in the u15's and 2 in the u14's. They have 4 u13's and 5 opens. Could be some tough years ahead with so few players coming through.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
@TahTah - do you know how frequently the additional professional coaches such as Jim Williams and Julian Huxley are being used?

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
@TahTah - do you know how frequently the additional professional coaches such as Jim Williams and Julian Huxley are being used?

I've heard no mention of them this year but I could very easily be wrong.
There presence never loomed very large. I applaud the old head coach who cares very much about Cranbrook Rugby and the players who declined to carry on coaching this year. I think he recognised that the boys needed a change in game plan.

This year's ringmaster and not the acrobats is this year's difference even if a few headline acts pop in and out every so often (and I say that to be a touch lyrical rather knowing if Williams or Huxley are there this year).

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
Cranbrook won the 16A's 2 years ago so it was a good group coming through. Your comment about team has been very evident in recent years at Barker - each year has featured very different game plans tailored to the personnel available. Congrats to Cranbrook on a good year so far.

Just seen the draw for Saturday - Trinity are only fielding 2 teams in the u16's, 2 in the u15's and 2 in the u14's. They have 4 u13's and 5 opens. Could be some tough years ahead with so few players coming through.

I've stood at Barker under my umbrella watching a better drilled side outplay Cranbrook not because they were necessarily any more impressive physically (and in some positions they were) but they played a smarter game of rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So which teacher is the head coach of the Cranbrook First XV?

Is it Luke Bower or is he just the coaching co-ordinator?

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Much harder to put together a cranbrook team , however there have been some good ins, and by and large some "good blokes"

1. John pilton (82)
2. Justin McDonald (86) . One of the best
3. John arber (86) or will Ashton (97)
4. Anthony Abrahams . Of the magnificent 7 apartheid boycotters(67)
5. Nick burnham .(89).. Nice bloke . Pick him over other blokes that rate themselves
6.john Ryan (85)
7. Dominic o'neil (95)
8. Makas (14) . Have massive wraps on this kid
9. Richard fogarty (99)
10. Mark Patterson (84)
11. Grant lodge (86)
12. Christian Warner (94?)
13. Ed Stubbs (06)
14. Ian Williams (82)
15. Daniel batman (98?) . Even if he was only there for a bit

Manager packer/gyngell . Be a good party

Coach . Marty Pitt (rip)

Actually very sad how many of the above are already rip . And 80s were definitely the glory days . Although 2014 shaping up to be maybe a new dawn ...?
S-D-W, I reckon you missed probably the most naturally talented rugby player from Cranbrook. Matt Street (77) who went on to play for NSW but lost his life in a car accident when he was still at uni. Would have played Aust Schools in 1977 if not for M.Ella, A.Melrose, M.Hawker, M.O'Connor etc

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
S-D-W, I reckon you missed probably the most naturally talented rugby player from Cranbrook. Matt Street (77) who went on to play for NSW but lost his life in a car accident when he was still at uni. Would have played Aust Schools in 1977 if not for M.Ella, A.Melrose, M.Hawker, M.O'Connor etc

Sadly, at least two of the men in SDW's list above died in car accidents.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I've heard no mention of them this year but I could very easily be wrong.
There presence never loomed very large. I applaud the old head coach who cares very much about Cranbrook Rugby and the players who declined to carry on coaching this year. I think he recognised that the boys needed a change in game plan.

This year's ringmaster and not the acrobats is this year's difference even if a few headline acts pop in and out every so often (and I say that to be a touch lyrical rather knowing if Williams or Huxley are there this year).
What role has Mark Giachari? He was pretty prominent in the pre game stuff for cranbrook at the game I went to at queens park

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There are a lot of good players in that cranbrook side so take nothing away from them, but the suggestion that they are coached predominently/ soley by a school teacher is incorrect. They advertised for the position on seek and sportspeople (good luck to them and why not) and Giachari former Randwick 1st grade / sydney fleet coach applied was successful and plays a significant role in their structure and coaching.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I would say that the teacher plays a management role over seeing paid coaches from outside. They are doing pretty well if they can get a guy like giachari down to ''coach lineouts'' at the expense of any high paying overseas gig that he could easily get

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
What role has Mark Giachari? He was pretty prominent in the pre game stuff for cranbrook at the game I went to at queens park

Yes Mark is an important part of the squad and has been for a few years... as is a professionally trained and qualified physio. The boys need to be trained well in what is a highly technical game as much for health and safety as it is skills development.

The discussion surrounding 'professional coaches' is illogical. If they were such a secret weapon then why has Cranbrook not won the CAS in nearly 20 years. If it is something so alien to a school like Waverley then how can that school have developed such a powerful rugby tradition. Perhaps all Waverley players, perhaps every schoolboy player, should be banned from playing club league or union save the rest having to suffer all that additional coaching.

I prefer a good competition. If Cranbrook are fortunate enough to do something special this year then I am overjoyed that they do this against a school like Know for example with their 'professional' coach. The victory is in beating the best the other team has to offer and not just the win.

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
I would say that the teacher plays a management role over seeing paid coaches from outside. They are doing pretty well if they can get a guy like giachari down to ''coach lineouts'' at the expense of any high paying overseas gig that he could easily get

Pete King - we shouldn't be commenting on any individuals pay or motivation or suggestions of what they have or have not been offered in the forum.

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
There are a lot of good players in that cranbrook side so take nothing away from them, but the suggestion that they are coached predominently/ soley by a school teacher is incorrect. They advertised for the position on seek and sportspeople (good luck to them and why not) and Giachari former Randwick 1st grade / sydney fleet coach applied was successful and plays a significant role in their structure and coaching.

They are most definitely and predominately coached by a school teacher.

BigKev

Stan Wickham (3)
Round 5, always promising when each game is a playoff for 1st, 3rd and 5th respectively. All these games are tough to call.
Cranbrook vs Knox, with both teams coming off comfortable wins this game should be fast. I believe Knox has enough strength across the park to muscle a victory, unless Cranbrook plays a good, smart territory game (of which they've recently been criticised of not doing). Amidst the professional coaching staff debate, Knox by 8.
Trinity vs Barker, I think this one will come down to who is returning for Trinity. Barker haven't conceded a point in two rounds but it's almost certain that record will break if Trinity fields a full strength side, Trinity by 10.
Aloysius vs Waverley, Aloys seems to be the more resilient of the two sides, the past two match reports of theirs characterising them with heart and courage as a losing side. Playing in Willoughby is much more favourable than Queens Park and the loss of Vevers might actually inspire a wholesome team effort. Waverley controversially won the corresponding match last year after the bell, Aloys boys will be looking for revenge. Aloys by 12

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yes Mark is an important part of the squad and has been for a few years. as is a professionally trained and qualified physio. The boys need to be trained well in what is a highly technical game as much for health and safety as it is skills development.

The discussion surrounding 'professional coaches' is illogical. If they were such a secret weapon then why has Cranbrook not won the CAS in nearly 20 years. If it is something so alien to a school like Waverley then how can that school have developed such a powerful rugby tradition. Perhaps all Waverley players, perhaps every schoolboy player, should be banned from playing club league or union save the rest having to suffer all that additional coaching.

I prefer a good competition. If Cranbrook are fortunate enough to do something special this year then I am overjoyed that they do this against a school like Know for example with their 'professional' coach. The victory is in beating the best the other team has to offer and not just the win.
Dont get me wrong I applaud the work of Cranbrook investing in a program with the help of professional coaches and players to get the best out of the boys. Merely pointing out that "they are coached by a teacher and outside coaching hasnt helped" is a smoke screen to the reality. Knox quite obviously has poured significant funds into their program acquiring a x international coach. Its the way of the future, Waverley has a proud tradition because it was not so much the way of the past and waverley could rely on the talent of the boys. Waverly has to invest in their program if they are/want to compete with the other schools moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.