• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Even if it is a legitimate career the many players who are my personal friends complain that there friends earn more than them in corporate roles !!! They play because they love it and because they can - with only the top 10% earning big bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure - but that applies to every aspect of school life. To get in to the University faculty where I teach, students need an ATAR of 99.7 - so only an elite few get there, too. It doesn't mean that schools shouldn't provide the best opportunity for those who have that aspiration.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Cranbrook 15 Knox 12
Two tries apiece. Cranbrook won with a penalty on full time and did all their scoring in the 2nd half. Knox held scoreless
Cranbrook took strong in the forwards

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Good game ?

Fairly good in the 16s. Rubbish at 1sts level

In the opens - It was a battle of the battlers with both sides having the opportunity to move from the bottom of the table with a win this week. Having a lot to do with Waverley rugby - this is perhaps the weakest side I have seen for some years and Aloysius were given an opportunity to possibly achieve a win - which is something they don't get to do too often.

The first half was filled full of errors - as was the entire match - with Aloys striking first blood in the corner and having countless opportunities to capitalise but poor skills and the absence of Vevers gave them no ability to execute.

Simple things like hands or not stepping inside would have allowed Aloysius to capitalise against an opponent who were well matched in size and strength terms however Waverley were able to take advantage and pull some points back on several occasions.

It was a disappointing second half of football when the Waverley boys simply showed they wanted it more and Aloysius looking less threatening in attack with several strong runs by the Waverley 12 and precise kicking by the fullback giving them control of the momentum of the match. Also the Waverley defence was superior and the defenders were moving quickly off their line to reduce the space for the Aloysius boys to move forward and this could be seen with the Aloysius backs loosing composure on the fringes as play as slowed up.

A few points to note from this game - footy is about footy. I was absolutely appalled at the conduct of the Waverley players and there gesturing reminded me more of a rugby league match. Slapping the aloys kids heads, palming to the head, calling the Aloys boys a number of profanities, bra boys salutes and attempting to start unnecessary fights for a number of reasons. My advice - by the way you played u need to spend a lot more time focusing on your football rather than your on-the-pitch appeal - and you were lucky that the referee did not have control of the match otherwise more cards would have been shown.

For Aloysius - the heart is missing. Too many games are the points piling on in the second half and the forwards need to stay on top of their work rate and save the committment for the later stages of the match. Also the simple things need to be done right - with a number of horrendous balls (flick passes) or passages which lacked structure. If this teams tightens up they may pose more of a threat in the next five rounds

Team changes to be made could be benching the ineffective Waverley 14 and replacing some members of the front row who were lazy and tired during the match

Aloysius needs to get rid of the replacement 13 - Vlachos- who had an appalling game - failing to have any vision and stepped inside when there were men to his outside. The return of vevers should mitigate this issue. Furthermore the service of the 9 (maybe 3rd nine I've seen from Aloysius ) was sub par and I would even suggest using a 16s player and building their experience considering most of the forwards in the second half where year 11 players. Also the Aloysius winger diamond needs to have the mongrel brought out in him by the coach - a guy with his height and strength should be hitting the line harder and faster than he currently is - reminds of that bloke in the Green Mile

This game was hard to watch going to go ease the pain in the pub

Scythe out

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Knox and Cranbrook will get most spots - that's not rocket science - but who gets what where will be interesting
Playing in a winning team certainly helps
Throw in a few from barker and there you have it.
Difficult to see many from Waverley,trinity and Aloys in 1sts anyway

S

sidelineview

Scythe,
Your report of the Alos-Waverley game was a negative, nasty joke of a report. You need to bench yourself and go and have another drink in the corner of some pub by yourself; you deserve your own miserable company.
The ineffective number 14 from Waverley? an U16s player who scored a brilliant try in the first half chasing and gathering a chip kick. He had a solid game all round I thought and he looked pretty happy to me. You must have been a nasty drunk already.
Alos' poor skills stopped them scoring in the first half .. Waverley's defence wasn't too bad was it? especially as Alos had most of the possession ( that's looking on the positive side)
Bra boys salute? .... etc etc ? an unbelievable exaggeration. I think the game got heated twice, and I don't think there was one card handed out to my knowledge, so it couldn't have been as bad as you suggest in your wanna-be-soap-opera screen writer holier than thou elitist gibberish. ... was like a rugby league match ?! you pretend all rugby matches are played by clean skins.
Get rid of ...13 from Alos? He scored a try; probably another year 11 kid.
I will bet my left you-know-what that you were a dud footballer and not half as good as the worst player on the field today. 'Experts' like you always fit that bill.
I also bet you had no heart on the field but you're brave with a few ales in you writing about young blokes who get out and have a go and enjoy their rugby.
The drink obviously brings out your giant size chip on your shoulder but you think you're a legend instead ..
You must be able to fight if you talk to people like this in person, but then again, heroes like you never do.

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)

It was a tough forwards game and a few of this forum's questions answered today...
Line out - dominated by Cranbrook
Scrums - dominated by Cranbrook

Both sides very disciplined. Knox tough and strong around the scrum but not good enough today. Knox and Cranbrook backlines had a great tussle with both playing a wide, confident game. The Cranbrook try off the Renton kick with a wicked bounce to McNiven and then onto Edelstein was my highlight - the 14 from Cranbrook runs on 240 volts!

Many comments this week about Knox's game style and running away with it in the second half. 15 unanswered points from Cranbrook in 2nd half.

On a serious note: the 10 from Knox was taken off on a board. A great concern for all. Can only hope that it was nothing serious. He competed very well the whole game. Any news on his condition would be very welcome.

sw57

Bob McCowan (2)
1st XV - Tom Hill ( C ), James Widders-Leece ( K ) Alexander Rathie ( C ), Hugh Summerhayes ( C ), Lachlan Swinton ( C ), Nick Burkett ( B ), Jake Pierce ( K ), Nick Makas ( C ), Stephen Kirkby ( B ), David Smerdon ( B ), Zac Edelstein ( C ), Joe WIlliams ( K ), Connor Watson ( K ), Lucas Price ( K ), Sam Renton ( C ), Coaches – Mr T Glassie ( K ), Mr H Engele ( T ), Mgr – Mr B Robinson ( B ),
2nd XV - Harry McLennan ( T ), Charlie Banks ( C ), Austin Black ( K ), Will Stenmark ( C ), Langton McCombe ( C ), George Corias ( T ), Tom Mahony ( C ), Brett Van Zyl ( K ), Roy Harrison ( C ), James Dainton ( A ), Rihann Barkely-Brown ( T ), Henry Patterson ( W ), Nick Carroll ( C ), Sean Campbell ( B ), Seb Field ( K ) - Res Rob Lacinski ( K ), Anthony Nguyen ( T ), Edward Cook ( T ), Justin Cooper ( W ), Tim Pearson ( B ), Deon Navayan ( W ), Angus McNiven ( C ), David Barbati ( T ), Coaches – Mr G Munday ( A ), Mr J Burr ( A ), Physio – Mrs N Veverka
A correction, Lachlan Swinton in the 1sts is from Knox

Wayne McLean

Peter Burge (5)
Cranbrook 15 Knox 12
Two tries apiece. Cranbrook won with a penalty on full time and did all their scoring in the 2nd half. Knox held scoreless
It was brilliant! Brook dominant but Knox when play opened up scored 2 special length of field tries to go 12-0 half time. Brook responded with 2 excellent tries to set the last 20 min alight. Their outstanding flanker was binned for 10 & ....somehow.....Brook held out 3 or 4 try scoring opportunities for Knox. Brook in last 2 min worked into Knox half but turned over and Knox conceded a ruck penalty with 10 seconds. Brook 10 Sam Renton will forever be a legend kicking the penalty from 42m and 15m from sideline. What a game! Round 2 at Knox will be just as good & a great day out & beats the sh** out of watching S15 or test rugby when 2 school boy teams are that good! Those there were treated to a spectacle ......for free!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
It Was a good crowd at hordern today, and cranbrook had a big contingent of kids. (Where were the knox supporters?!)

Across the park knox looked bigger. Knox's number 14, a big blonde, looked like dolph lundgren to cranbrook diminutive 14, zac edelstein. Only knox's star centre (Watson) looked small.

At half time knox were looking pretty dominant. With tries to number 4, and knox's super slippery number 13 (Connor Watson). The half time score was 12 nil, and I was expecting a knox blow out.

I was wondering if I should wander up to scots, maybe that would be a bit more even?

However after half time ... I read the body language ... And cranbrook definitely thought themselves still in it. They were raring to go, and knox were still in a huddle.

Knox had been pretty solid in set pieces and their hooker jimmy widders-lee was simply awesome. I can see how he has been racking up the tries. This is a kid with big future at a higher level

Knox were marking makas well and every runner was greeted with a well coordinated paring of defenders

... while cranbrook's front row is sizeable, knox was bigger yet, and number 8, Brett van zyl, made cranbrook's makas look small.

However in second half brook's forwards started to get a sniff

Out of seemingly not much, cranbrook were back in the game to their centre (Carroll)

12-7. Good kick from Renton.

However I was only believing in brook's chances, after a bit of edestein eletric running. cranbrook number 12 made a good break close to the sideline, and offloaded to edelstein. What would have been normally not a contest, saw an electric run down the sideline (reminiscent of grant lodge) ... And try under the posts.

Renton kicks it ...through the sticks .... However the flags don't go up?! I concede it is very close to the posts, but it is over (I am directly behind the posts), however none of officials, see it that way.

Oh well cest la vie

12-12.

By this stage, cranbrook are playing way better at set piece. Knox are winning penalties, only to lose the following downfield line- out.

Even jimmy winders-lee throws one not straight ... He is human, and after all a reformed back rower.

Felix studdy nearly gives the game away with a chip kick into dolph lundgrens arms. However cranbrook defence is scrambling well.

Every time Connor Watson touchs the ball it looks like he is going to score. And jimmy wl, is always looking to link up with him.

Connor Watson definitely king of broken field running.

The ref who has had a good game, seems a bit tougher on brook...

However cranbrook's back row is now firing, and while knox 8 is still dangerous, bigger knox seem to be tiring

It is surely full-time ... Then knox 10 out for the count ...hopefully he is ok.

One last spell... Surely 3 minutes ... Then a wide penalty opportunity for cranbrook.

Having missed the last conversion attempt in front, anything is possible.

The whole brook school crowd is ready to storm the field.

He slots it. 15-12... Renton steels it on the bell.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Fairly good in the 16s. Rubbish at 1sts level

In the opens - It was a battle of the battlers with both sides having the opportunity to move from the bottom of the table with a win this week. Having a lot to do with Waverley rugby - this is perhaps the weakest side I have seen for some years and Aloysius were given an opportunity to possibly achieve a win - which is something they don't get to do too often.

The first half was filled full of errors - as was the entire match - with Aloys striking first blood in the corner and having countless opportunities to capitalise but poor skills and the absence of Vevers gave them no ability to execute.

Simple things like hands or not stepping inside would have allowed Aloysius to capitalise against an opponent who were well matched in size and strength terms however Waverley were able to take advantage and pull some points back on several occasions.

It was a disappointing second half of football when the Waverley boys simply showed they wanted it more and Aloysius looking less threatening in attack with several strong runs by the Waverley 12 and precise kicking by the fullback giving them control of the momentum of the match. Also the Waverley defence was superior and the defenders were moving quickly off their line to reduce the space for the Aloysius boys to move forward and this could be seen with the Aloysius backs loosing composure on the fringes as play as slowed up.

A few points to note from this game - footy is about footy. I was absolutely appalled at the conduct of the Waverley players and there gesturing reminded me more of a rugby league match. Slapping the aloys kids heads, palming to the head, calling the Aloys boys a number of profanities, bra boys salutes and attempting to start unnecessary fights for a number of reasons. My advice - by the way you played u need to spend a lot more time focusing on your football rather than your on-the-pitch appeal - and you were lucky that the referee did not have control of the match otherwise more cards would have been shown.

For Aloysius - the heart is missing. Too many games are the points piling on in the second half and the forwards need to stay on top of their work rate and save the committment for the later stages of the match. Also the simple things need to be done right - with a number of horrendous balls (flick passes) or passages which lacked structure. If this teams tightens up they may pose more of a threat in the next five rounds

Team changes to be made could be benching the ineffective Waverley 14 and replacing some members of the front row who were lazy and tired during the match

Aloysius needs to get rid of the replacement 13 - Vlachos- who had an appalling game - failing to have any vision and stepped inside when there were men to his outside. The return of vevers should mitigate this issue. Furthermore the service of the 9 (maybe 3rd nine I've seen from Aloysius ) was sub par and I would even suggest using a 16s player and building their experience considering most of the forwards in the second half where year 11 players. Also the Aloysius winger diamond needs to have the mongrel brought out in him by the coach - a guy with his height and strength should be hitting the line harder and faster than he currently is - reminds of that bloke in the Green Mile

This game was hard to watch going to go ease the pain in the pub

Scythe out

The 13 from Alos played really well today, shifting around the defence on a few occasions. So did the Waverley 14. These are schoolboys, leave that sort of rubbish of picking on players out of the forum. The Waverley team I watched looking nothing like you reported. Must be the beer goggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.