• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
what about Troy Dargan from Knox ... what is the story there?

Wasn't he only in year 11 in 2014 ... and by all accounts an awesome league player...?

surprised he wasn't in the rugby union mix, both last year and seemingly this year?

Either way full credit to Knox on their awesome Indigenous programme, that is something a few other schools could replicate

don't think either Waverley or Knox teams have any scholarship kids, running out at 3:15?

PS If L Swinton (aka Captain America) isn't an Aussie Schoolboy in 2015, I will eat my hat ... then again I thought at least 1 of last years Knox team should have been picked in 2014, and I got that wrong.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
An interesting question and I have no idea of the answer. At the risk of being tangential - I wonder why until recently when Ed Cowan made the Australian Test team there had been no private school cricket test players from NSW for a very long time. Ed Cowan was a Cranbrook student. This is in stark contrast to the situation in rugby.

I'm afraid this post rather suggests that you live in a bubble! But since you asked...

First, a very small proportion of boys in school in NSW are in private schools. I don't have the stats to hand, but 10% is probably about right. So it's statistically probable that there will be relatively few graduates of that system reaching the Test cricket side.

Secondly, it's generally acknowledged that playing private school cricket is deterimental to a player's development. This is because most players who are going to excel are in Grade cricket by the time they're 15, and in First Grade by 17 or 18. Private schoolboys at 17 or 18 are playing against their peers in a competition of relatively low standard, so they tend to stagnate. Really, any player of potential first-class quality tends to reach the 1sts by Year 9, and to have mastered that level of teh game within a year. Then, instead of moving on to test himself against adults, he - stays where he is for two years. So it's a real hindrance.

Thirdly - Rugby is different. For three reasons. One, it draws its players essentially from two States and the ACT, so the statistical chance of NSW private schoolboys making the grade is increased (you are relatively unlikely to lose out to a State schoolboy from Adelaide). Two, for historical reasons we don't need to go into, private schools have always been major sources of international Rugby players - the State school kids tended to play League. And three, in Rugby, because of the physical nature of the game, boys tend not to play against men, so the development of a player is not retarded is he is kept to playing with his own age cohort until he leaves school.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
One thing of concern from the Knox/ Barker game came about from a perusal of the program. I was surprised at the lack of teams Barker had. In some age groups they only fielded four sides.......

But I do wonder what is being done, or to the point, not done in some of what are considered the rugby nurseries.

Actually only 3 teams in u14's and 4 each in 13's, 15's and 16's

Peabody

Herbert Moran (7)
Can't wait for the next "Fight of the Century" at Death Valley this Saturday.

All it needs now is dear old Gordon Bray talking about the Ref being "the 34 year old amateur marbles player from Wagga Wagga".

BigKev

Stan Wickham (3)
If pre season speculations and first round results are anything to go by, this round is shaping up to be the battles for 1st, 3rd and 5th, three good and close games on the cards.
Cranbrook v Barker - Barker went toe to toe with Knox then fell off the pace in the second half, Cranbrook, on the other hand, could've beaten Aloys in the last minute. The current crop of boys would've been well in the middle school during Barker's golden era yet Cranbrook has enough strength from last year's campaign for them to know how to win. Cranbrook by 7

Trinity v Aloysius - Trinity copped a hiding last week, which is exactly why I think it's likely they'll come out firing and have a much closer game this week. Although it must be said there's hype about Aloys and I think their centres Lawson (12) and Slaven (13) will take some stopping. If the Aloys forwards can handle the size of the Trinity pack then it should see them 2/2 for the first time in God knows how long. Aloys by 10

Waverley v Knox - Game of the round, give me this over boxing any day. How much will last year's result be in everyone's minds? Based on pre-season scores and Knox seriously going the distance against Barker last week, they should just be too large, fast and organised to lose. Waverley should put up a classic death valley fight, I'll be keeping a keen eye on discipline amid all the midweek talk. If there was ever a heavy toll for ill discipline this is the weekend for it and it'd be a shame if this came down to penalties or cards. All the classic match-ups across each backline could even make for the first CAS suggestions. Waverley to play with flair but lose to an almost-professional Knox team, Knox by 12

sammyburgess

Stan Wickham (3)
Any predictions for the CAS 1st and CAS 2nd sides??

I think the waverley side has a good chance of being heavily represented in the backs. 11 and 14 have looked consistently threatening and theres Cardasilaris (sorry for the spelling) and Cooper in the forwards, just to name a few.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
what about Troy Dargan from Knox . what is the story there?

Wasn't he only in year 11 in 2014 . and by all accounts an awesome league player.?

surprised he wasn't in the rugby union mix, both last year and seemingly this year?

Either way full credit to Knox on their awesome Indigenous programme, that is something a few other schools could replicate

don't think either Waverley or Knox teams have any scholarship kids, running out at 3:15?

PS If L Swinton (aka Captain America) isn't an Aussie Schoolboy in 2015, I will eat my hat . then again I thought at least 1 of last years Knox team should have been picked in 2014, and I got that wrong.

do you want sauce with your hat?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sorry to be a broken record but we are still looking for a writer to do reports on some of the Cranbrook games.

Anyone?? Please send me a convo.

Thanks

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I gather that Tom Hill is out of the Cranbrook side for Saturday's game with Barker. Which means that Ed Renton, Hill, Studdy and Wilson are all out, plus Spira seems to have dropped out altogether. Cranbrook's depth isn't fantastic, and suddenly, it's shaping up as a tough season.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm afraid this post rather suggests that you live in a bubble! But since you asked.

First, a very small proportion of boys in school in NSW are in private schools. I don't have the stats to hand, but 10% is probably about right. So it's statistically probable that there will be relatively few graduates of that system reaching the Test cricket side.

Secondly, it's generally acknowledged that playing private school cricket is deterimental to a player's development. This is because most players who are going to excel are in Grade cricket by the time they're 15, and in First Grade by 17 or 18. Private schoolboys at 17 or 18 are playing against their peers in a competition of relatively low standard, so they tend to stagnate. Really, any player of potential first-class quality tends to reach the 1sts by Year 9, and to have mastered that level of teh game within a year. Then, instead of moving on to test himself against adults, he - stays where he is for two years. So it's a real hindrance.

Thirdly - Rugby is different. For three reasons. One, it draws its players essentially from two States and the ACT, so the statistical chance of NSW private schoolboys making the grade is increased (you are relatively unlikely to lose out to a State schoolboy from Adelaide). Two, for historical reasons we don't need to go into, private schools have always been major sources of international Rugby players - the State school kids tended to play League. And three, in Rugby, because of the physical nature of the game, boys tend not to play against men, so the development of a player is not retarded is he is kept to playing with his own age cohort until he leaves school.
Tks for your reply - I agree with much of it but think there may be other factors at play as well .

M

M squad 2015

Have the nerves set in @ the knox camp for the eerie trip to Death Valley? not only do they have the potent back line and physical forwards of the Double V, but the depth that lies behind the starting XV. Patrick Mullane again has been attempting to break the surface for a starting position. This 'young gun' could be the "X factor" that decides the match that was spoken about previously. He has the right to wear his new flamboyant (yet highly questionable) yellow wheels as he is known to burn opposition players on the outside. Maybe Stenning has a challenge this week?? my prediction is waves by 14 in a battle of attrition that is broken by the potent back line.

Brian Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
Have the nerves set in @ the knox camp for the eerie trip to Death Valley? not only do they have the potent back line and physical forwards of the Double V, but the depth that lies behind the starting XV. Patrick Mullane again has been attempting to break the surface for a starting position. This 'young gun' could be the "X factor" that decides the match that was spoken about previously. He has the right to wear his new flamboyant (yet highly questionable) yellow wheels as he is known to burn opposition players on the outside. Maybe Stenning has a challenge this week?? my prediction is waves by 14 in a battle of attrition that is broken by the potent back line.

Your defiantly the president of the waverly parent committee

Phil Meanus

Frank Row (1)

Not sure where you got your information from, although Pat Mullane is a good player he is currently in the 3s, I do agree with you however, Waverley 2s are looking good this year.

Blackdog

Bob McCowan (2)
Knox have had 5 trips to death valley without a victory - and their season is on the line again tomorrow. They have a good side but were very arrogant at the start last week - first scrum on their own line with their biggest forward at first receiver. Then proceeded to stand their two biggest in the backs for the next 20 minutes for lineouts. Down 10-0 went back to the basics and came way with a strong victory. If they approach tomorrows encounter with the same attitude may find themselves behind again and it will be a much tougher contest to come from behind at the 'valley'. Not sure what happens these days, but they should be catching a bus out together and develop a siege approach. Whilst the Knox coaches have been quoted as saying it is just another game - it definitely isn't - it is Death Valley. Always has been, always will be.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Which game in the last few years has had the biggest crowd?
Knox vs barker always has the biggest crowd. The only nsw schoolboy game that would draw a bigger crowd is Riverview vs joeys. I'd say there were about 2000 or more there last week despite the rain. It's usually around 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.