• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2022

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Only a few seconds to go. Those kids on the bench hoping for the 90 seconds of action that would give them CAS 1sts colours will be disappointed. CHS backs still trying hard.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Game over 24 - 7

Best on ground - I still think Phillpson was good. But Bailey for me was the standout and he was from the bench. Everything worked better with him on the field.

I know I have Waverley eyes - but the difference in the team when Preketes came on was huge. He was the only forward that offered genuine momentum and go forward.

Saunders played well if not doing too much - he should have almost been better selected at 15?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
McLeod seems to have this odd habit of trying to offload as he hits the ground. The result is that he hurls the ball forward. He'd be much better off just setting up the ruck ball.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Actually Jahnke-Tavanka also played quite well. But didn't get enough to do to make a strong impact.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Interesting game.

The 6 Barker forwards on the field were a little disappointing. Again highlighting Hooper - he should be in the second row and he is not strong enough in contact. Edwards the best of the starting Barker players.

For me Saunders offered a lot in attack, really showing how good he was. His defensive work was dominant as well.

Have no doubt, that is not a strong rugby team that CAS competed against, so there is no bragging rights here for such a win. The CAS 15 again showed he should not be there.

I was also disappointed with McCleod. He either wears on his hands or runs too hard onto the ball.

The interesting thing for me, and again I raised this after Tuesday, is how much better the players who came on were. Preketes, Bailey and I thought today Sagala and Livingstone as well showed some glimpses of the better players we missed out on selecting.

livingstone would have been a great 6/7 option. Sagala at 13 with Saunders moved to fullback?

Towns a big loss as well obviously. Selection is hard, but most in the know would have easily picked Preketes and opted against picking a year 10 kid at fullback. Those two changes alone would have made us more competitive on Tuesday and a better team today.

Last edited:

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
I want to highlight I hope Sayoun gets to the next level after his performance on Tuesday. He was very good then. Likely fatigued today as a lot of the boys would have been.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Only four CAS starters enhanced their selection prospects there: Hooper, Philipson, Edwards and Saunders. Preketes and Bailey, too, from the bench.
Edwards was good around field - but his throw should see him selected - I don't think he missed a throw to the back all day.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Game over 24 - 7

Best on ground - I still think Phillpson was good. But Bailey for me was the standout and he was from the bench. Everything worked better with him on the field.

I know I have Waverley eyes - but the difference in the team when Preketes came on was huge. He was the only forward that offered genuine momentum and go forward.

Saunders played well if not doing too much - he should have almost been better selected at 15?
It’s quite breautiful that the best player in the CAS competition this year May very well be from the team that comes in last place.

Bravo Bailey and the staff at St Aloysius for his contribution this week and the rugby season.

SkyBlue

Banned
The CAS team I would pick after these games.

1. Sayoun
2. Edwards
3. Preketes (Finau potentially if healthy)
4. Ekenyake
5. Probably Ericsson ? No real standout.
6. Halotokoau (Will Kennedy if healthy)
7. Livingstone
8. Hooper
9. Phillipson
10. Bailey (Katoa)
11. Jahnke - Tavana
12. McCleod
13. Sagala
14. Read
15. Saunders

Would like to move Hooper to 2 row, but there isn’t a replacement for him at 8 IMO.

I know it’s a lot of Barker kids (this is definitely gonna annoy a few people lol) but realistically is there any other options? Potentially the Knox wingers could make an argument. Nosa Obaseki too but he’s still clearly coming back from injury and Edwards played alright today.

Poynton is a great player but should have been kept in the 16’s this year.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
So nsw teams are being selected tonight with Gen Blue 1 being the premier team. Personally I only see Saunders, Hooper and Phillipson making that team - Maybe Preketes at a stretch. I don’t think it’s been a particularly good 2 games for any CAS players to be honest.

Of course this assumes Katoa isn’t available

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
So nsw teams are being selected tonight with Gen Blue 1 being the premier team. Personally I only see Saunders, Hooper and Phillipson making that team - Maybe Preketes at a stretch. I don’t think it’s been a particularly good 2 games for any CAS players to be honest.

Of course this assumes Katoa isn’t available
Likely these are the 4 selected for next level for CAS.

i hope Bailey too.