• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2023

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would suspect the first positions to fill would be the have to have's:

Additional Lock
Big, Tall robust 8
Big robust outside centre
Prop

Then we can look at the nice to have's

Think that's about right. I would be targeting:

Prop: Tamaiti Williams
2 Row: Jake Ball
Back Row: Pat Tafa & Brad Hemopo
Centre: Droasese

I'd also be going hard at Isaac Lucas & Billy Pollard.

Wouldnt be surprised to see guys like Tizzano, Hardwick, Hoskins, Zac Holmes, Uyen, Morahan head back West at some point. Morahan probably the only automatic starter there but all super rugby squad quality.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's a good discussion as WA is in quite a unique position - certainly in Australia.

WA has a long-standing rugby history but only a 17-year professional rugby experience which was totally disrupted by the events of 2017.
But there was a level of continuity provided by Andrew Forrest's rescue. Tim Sampson was a key element of maintaining that continuity.
What has also been happening is a redevelopment of the game in WA from the grassroots level.

The support staff recruitment over the past 18 months has had a Super Rugby focus - which I agree is very different from the GRR expansion into the Asia pacific region. GRR's focus was to grow the game in the region - it wasn't going to grow if the WF was winning every game.

IMO, the change of Head Coach is very much a part of that Super Rugby focus and was important to build not only a competitive team but a winning team.
It's hard to get a real feel for Andrew's vision, energy and level of support from afar.
But the players are certainly on board with it - and the reason why top U20 players such as Andrew Romano, George Poolman, Ned Slack-Smith, Jordan Williams, Josh Mongard, Bo Abra, other players such as Angus Wagner, Harry Lloyd, Jack Winchester, Campbell Parata, Daniel Ala and the young Brumbies players were attracted to the program. I doubt if any of these young players haved been disappointed since their arrival in the West.

Simon Cron will take this recruitment and game development to another level - with a desire to make a real difference over the next 2-3 years.
The fact that he is not a coach with a proven Super Rugby record or higher level, but a coach recognised to have high potential for growth, reflects how Forrest and Lewis prefer having a group that is growing together.
Time will tell........................
Well Coleman did not have a proven Super Rugby coaching record but solid credentials to deserve the opportunity. Cron equally served his apprenticeship and deserves his chance. Whether better then Sampson hard for me to say but after 5 years they have a right to make a change. Tim Sampson developed as a coach so hopefully RA have some plans for him to continue to develop his coaching credentials in Australia.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Well Coleman did not have a proven Super Rugby coaching record but solid credentials to deserve the opportunity. Cron equally served his apprenticeship and deserves his chance. Whether better then Sampson hard for me to say but after 5 years they have a right to make a change. Tim Sampson developed as a coach so hopefully RA have some plans for him to continue to develop his coaching credentials in Australia.
would love to see Sampson be appointed the Junior Wallaby coach for a 5 year stint.
If not, then QLD rugby would be mad not to give him the Qld Reds Academy (U18 and U20) programs to run for 5 years.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
would love to see Sampson be appointed the Junior Wallaby coach for a 5 year stint.
If not, then QLD rugby would be mad not to give him the Qld Reds Academy (U18 and U20) programs to run for 5 years.
He'd be a great get for the academy program with an eye to eventually transitioning him into the head coach role, but they do seem to have been humming along pretty well and there's every chance he's going to want another head coaching role, maybe in Japan/US/Europe, for his own development.

Under 20s would also be good fit, might depend on how long Grey has left on his contract though.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
My preference would be to see the junior wallabies three coach model. Two years as an assistant one year as a head coach then you move on. Use it to develop our coaches.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Force need to attract more starting wallabies in order to benefit from the RA topups. Right now they need to pay overs to people to have a shot, to come home or to get out of someone else's shadow.

THP is a major problem. First choice is an Argentinean who is leaving and the next is Holmes who probably won't play next year. Timani left, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) is going and Thrush will probably not play next year either. That leaves Mccauley and Pugh to partner Rodda - not exactly awe inspiring. Tight 5 quality and forward depth is a real problem.

Then lose Kahui most likely and with Godwin a bit average, Ralston leaving also, suddenly out back depth and quality is struggling also IMO.

In 2 seasons they will have lost Kuridrani and Kahui and who will they have left...Makara? Concerning to me.

Serious recruitment required.
Is medrano definitely leaving as I know his contract is up this year…yes I presume it would be hard to keep him as would attract big money overseas..good at least force got him on a two year contract.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would suspect the first positions to fill would be the have to have's:

Additional Lock
Big, Tall robust 8
Big robust outside centre
Prop

Then we can look at the nice to have's
Force also need better quality hooker depth as Andrew Ready as your next best hooker to have on the bench telling imo. Brumbies have some quality excess hookers to target.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wouldnt be surprised to see guys like Tizzano, Hardwick, Hoskins, Zac Holmes, Uyen, Morahan head back West at some point. Morahan probably the only automatic starter there but all super rugby squad quality.
Clay Uyen is already in WA and played for Perth Gold in a pre-season match against the WF.
This year he has switched from Brothers to UWA in Perth Club rugby.
He has full time employment.

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
Clay Uyen is already in WA and played for Perth Gold in a pre-season match against the WF.
Yep heard him speaking on The Rugby Wrap pod last week... said recent stints in France & Shute Shield both impacted by Covid - was keen to play for Force if they'd have him. Said he knew Cron from U20's days but no contact yet. Not a starter but could do worse than picking up a hungry, young, hungry local lad like him imo.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Yep, back to his proper home at Uni! I’d love to see those other former Uni old boys, Tizz and Hardwick come back too.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)