• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

G&GR RWC Fantasy League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Matty, can you please either make the H2H bigger or start a new group of 8, it's full.
thanks a bunch

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
If I start a new one then I'll be in that one too. How about you start one and post it here.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Who's picked players, any hot tips from the minnows?

I have a dilemma for any of those willing to help, I have one centre spot remaining in the team and it's a toss up between Tindall (ENG) and Contempomi (ARG), they are obviously versing each other and I'm tipping England to get the win. Bearing in mind that Contempomi will be the Puma's kicker and Tindall is unlikely to get much ball as the Poms play a forward game plan would any of you advise against picking the Argie? it will be a roll of the dice, neither will be my captain I just can't pick which to have on my bench.

Rest of my squad is looking pretty good :D liking my new Irish captain and the power in the backrow!

Cheers,
Light.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Who's picked players, any hot tips from the minnows?

I have a dilemma for any of those willing to help, I have one centre spot remaining in the team and it's a toss up between Tindall (ENG) and Contempomi (ARG), they are obviously versing each other and I'm tipping England to get the win. Bearing in mind that Contempomi will be the Puma's kicker and Tindall is unlikely to get much ball as the Poms play a forward game plan would any of you advise against picking the Argie? it will be a roll of the dice, neither will be my captain I just can't pick which to have on my bench.

Rest of my squad is looking pretty good :D liking my new Irish captain and the power in the backrow!

Cheers,
Light.

Scotland is playing Romania, Fiji is playing Namibia. The Scottish and Fijian outside backs should have a field day and their goal kickers may go down with a cramp from all the conversions so I'd say they'd might be worth a punt.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah I decided on Tindall haha, might replace him however once the Scottish/Fijian line-ups are announced, those combined with Dan Carter (NZL v Tonga) and Johnny Sexton (IRE v USA) form my centre field.

Backline consists of a very freaky Irish winger I'm banking on to carve up USA, a flying fijian who I'm considering replacing with an Australian born Scotsman who kicks and an Australia who looks mexican.

People are so secretive about their teams, TBH I'm too excited to keep my team on the down-low and I doubt many other players people suggest would be within my budget. Watch out!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I exhausted all my form on tri nations so no pressure to perform here, lol. I'm keeping my picks a bit close to my chest too but I've basically got some 'freaky' selections + Carter & Dagg. The others are top secret though, meaning I have no idea yet who is filling the rest of my squad. The website for fantasy is so bloody slow too but that could be just my comp.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
has anyone got a definative Teams' list for the round?. I just want to make sure some of my rough selections are actually playing this weekend.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fantasy Rugby - It's only a game

What the hell... It's only a game right?

During the fantasy Tri-Nations I started the first game picking okay and ended up middle of the pack. Unfortunately, come the second game between NZ and SA I failed to get my picks selected on time and although I wisely spent my weekend in the arms of a pretty young thing it put me smack bang to the bottom of the table. This time round I'd like to learn a few things from other fantasy players and hopefully give a few insights myself. In order to do that I've decided to do the big 'no-no' and tell you who I've picked for my team and why.

1. Rodrigo Rocero (ARG)
2. Bismarck du Plessis (SA)
3. Dan Cole (ENG)
4. Courtney Lawes (ENG)
5. Paul O'Connell (IRE)
6. Heinrich Brussow (SA)
7. Sam Warburton (WAL)
8. Richie McCaw (7th Circle of Hell)
9. Will Genia (AUS)
10. Daniel Carter (NZ) - Captain
11. Digby Ioane (AUS)
12. Morne Steyn (SA)
13. Johnny Wilkinson (ENG)
14. Israel Dagg (NZ)
15. Kurtley Beale (AUS)

Reserves:

Front Row: Hubert Buydens (CAN)
Hooker: Marius Tincu (ROM)
Lock: Richie Gray (SCO)
Back Row: Sean O'Brien (IRE)
Scrumhalf: Mike Petri (USA)
Inside Back: Ander Monro (CAN)
Outside Back: Napolioni Nalaga (FIJ)

I've put a lot of thought into this so please be gentle if it is shit, hey it's only my second time. Anyway, some explanations:

1. Argentinian wall of meat and anger. Solid in the scrum, not too shabby around the park. $200 – number 2 TSB.
3. Handy player, picked to run on for England. Hedging my bets by picking front rowers playing each other at 10 points for each tight head won, awarded to the entire front row and only minus 3 for tight head lost I like this tactic. $250 number 4 TSB.
Reserve: $75 piece of insurance. With only 4 transfers allowed in the second round I wanted to have a back up who I know is playing in the second round when I have to drop Dan Cole given england have the bye. Also, given Canada's not too bad performance against the Australian Barbarians the other day and that they're playing a relatively poor Scottish side he might do okay.

2. $300 Bismarck du Plessis is the only player I haven't fully locked in yet. Given PdVs insane love for John Smit I may have to transfer him before the round starts, I'll wait until SA announce their team. Even though as a hooker Bismarck does some great work on the field its a matter of whether or not he's going to rack up enough game time if he's waiting for Smit to get tired for half the game.
Reserve: $125 Romanian picked purely because if Bismarck gets no game time then Romania is still playing in the first round against scotland so who know, may pick up some points.

4. Big, Strong, Powerful, Fast, hell, if he wasn't english I'd probably like him. $275 number 5 TSB. Should have a good hit out against the pumas.
5. Getting on a bit but still a monster in the tight work. Big game from the captain as the Irish will be fired up like crazy to break their 4 game losing streak against the Yanks. Look to O'Connell to lead from the front (hopefully bag a sneaky pie). $275 #2 TSB
Reserve: Decent emergency replacement for Lawes come round 2. $250 #7 TSB

6. $325 for Brussow is expensive, but you may as well spend the money on something you know is going to do mountains of work around the park and thats exactly what Heinrich does. I was very impressed with his performance against NZ in SA and his record of 4 games against the all blacks with 4 wins speaks for itself. #7 TSB
7. $275 for the Welsh captain ain't too bad. Another case where I'm hedging my bets with Wales and South Africa playing each other. If I could have picked Pocock I would have but I'd already picked my 3 aussies. Here's to hoping that Brussow and Warburton just steal it back and forth all night. At 4 points a turnover this rivalry could come in handy. #3 TSB
8. I think $250 for Richie is a bargain. Especially given the Blecks are playing Tonga – looking forward to Richie making a few good turnovers. #1 TSB
Reserve: $200 for Rocky's replacement at Leinster. SOB is a great ball carrier and will be a cetain replacement for Warburton come round 2 when wales aren't playing, saving another transfer. #14 TSB

9. $250 for Genia was not my original plan for scrumhalf, I wanted Morgan Parra because of his goal kicking (a handy way to earn points and given France are playing Japan one could imagine a few shots at goal) but he hasn't been picked in the run on side. That said, Genia is most likely to pick up more points than any other non-kicking scrummie. #1 TSB
Reserve: Token $75 dollar yank. I expect Genia will remain here until round 4 when I drop him to the bench and transfer this piece of shitzu.

10. $400 dollars for the best. Most likely to consistently accumulate points with few deducted for errors. Hopefully racks up loads of points through conversions as the Blecks destroy Tonga. #1 TSB for a reason. Also picked as my captain for above reason.
12. $325 for Steyn ain't too bad, he's bound to rack up some points and given his recent performance against NZ he looks to have pushed Lambie well and truly to the bench and is my best bet for South Africa's kickers. #4 TSB
13. $350 for the English kicking machine. Should rack up a few points now that he's been picked over Flood to start against the Argies. #6 TSB
Reserve: $75 canadian back up. However most likely will be transferred and then swapped with Wilkinson as england sit out round 2.

11. $400 for Digby Iaone and I think its worth it. I'm picking him to bag a few tries and hopefully rack up some points. #4 TSB
15. $400 for KB (Kurtley Beale) isn't bad. I've got to spend big somewhere. Hopefully to bag a few tries and maybe a long shot at goal or 2. #2 TSB
14. $350 for Poo dagg is pretty good. Picked to start over Mils. Expecting some tries from the fullback against Tonga. Could have possibly gone with Francois Steyn for his kicking but with the SA side not picked yet I'm hoping PdV goes with Lambie at FB for some spark.
Reserve: $75 Fijian token.

Anyway, that's it. What do you think? I've tried to pick my team so I don't get caught out with not enough transfers. All my starting players have been picked in their run on sides except South Africa (and I'm pretty sure Steyn and Brussow are safe starters), Wales and Ireland (and they really should pick their captains in Warburton and O'Connell) and all my replacements are playing next week so should any disasters occur I know I'll pick up some points.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyway, that's it. What do you think? I've tried to pick my team so I don't get caught out with not enough transfers. All my starting players have been picked in their run on sides except South Africa (and I'm pretty sure Steyn and Brussow are safe starters), Wales and Ireland (and they really should pick their captains in Warburton and O'Connell) and all my replacements are playing next week so should any disasters occur I know I'll pick up some points.

Interesting selections, I haven't gone for many well known backs and have sticked to nations playing the weaker sides. Your forward pack should dominate, however their points around the park might not be so great.

1. Rocero is unlikely to rack up the points as he is now in his mid 30s and struggles to get around the park, that and he's up against a very strong Pommie scrum which the Argies will struggle to budge, much safer with an Irish prop such as Mike Ross. Owen Franks, Martin Castrogiovanni also provide good value
2. Hooker is another area you will struggle as I doubt Bismark will be starting, Boks should get on top of the welsh and most of us would pick BDP but he's unlikely to get much game time.
3. Very Strong selection, he should get on top of his opposition number Rocero and rack up a fair few points around the park
4. I've picked him too based on reputation, I'm hoping he has a blinder against what looks to be a fairly average Argie line-out.
5. Don't know enough about their opponent jumpers but POC is proven and a very solid choice.
6. Good choice
7. Good choice
8. Good choice
9. Good choice
10. Good choice
11. Good choice, I'd be taking a Fijian/Irish winger into this round however. Digby is costly and unlikely to really get much ball against the Italians. The likes of Tommy Bowe or Chris Paterson won't be far off the points.
12. Good choice, you'll get alot of points from his kicking if he starts.
13. Same as 12, except I hate him so I avoided him.
14. Same deal as Ioane except Dagg will probably provide alot more value as he plays 15 and will get more ball against a tiring Tongan forward pack. He is very likely to accumulate alot of points. Solid selection but I've left him for the later rounds due to pricey.
15. Good choice.

Bench looks weak apart from O'Brien who from what I've heard isn't likely to be starting for Ireland due to injury anyway. Don't know the rest of them so can't really judge but the Fijians are going to put alot of points on so perhaps consider moving him into your starting line-up. You've obviously spent all your money on your starting XV which isn't a bad option if they are all actually starting, gone for kickers over try scorers in the centre's which could pay dividends.

Best of luck, I'm hoping no one tries to emulate my team so hear goes. I'll justify them but not checking their prices.
1. Martin Castrogiovanni (ITA v AUS) - Should get ontop of Alexander.
2. William Servat (FRA v JAP) - Versing Japan and he's proven.
3. Owen Franks (NZL v TON) - One of the best props around
4. James Horwill (AUS v ITA) - Enough said.
5. Courtney Lawes (ENG v ARG) - Read up.
6. Heinrich Brussow (SAF v WAL) - Same as above
7. Sam Warburton (WAL v SAF) - Should get ontop of his opposite number, gets through a sh*tload of work
8. Richie McCaw (NZL v TON) - Why not.
9. Will Genia (AUS v ITA) - Best number 9 on the planet, will exploit ITA defence.
10. Dan Carter (NZL v TON) - Eh, enough said.
11. Tommy Bowe (IRE v USA) - Weak opponent and has plenty of legs. Should be a top try scorer this tournament
12. Nicky Little (FIJ v NAM) - Weak opponent, kicks for Fiji and likely to rack up alot of points against Namibia
13. Jonathan Sexton (IRE v USA) - Same as Little.
14. Chris Paterson (SCO v ROM) - Same as Sexton and Little. A fullback who kicks!
15. Kurtley Beale (AUS v ITA) - Well, it's Kurtley and he's unpredictable.

16. Fabio Ongaro (ITA v AUS) - Will struggle for points this round but is a shining light in Italian pack
17. Mike Ross (IRE v USA) - Will dominate his USA opponent, easily best prop in IRE.
18. Adam Byrnes (RUS) - Not playing this round but likely to score highly in a weak side
19. Tukulua Lokotui (TON v NZL) - Won't get many points, he's my bench warmer till I can afford better
20. Morgan Parra (FRA v JAP) - Best French #9, not starting but will be in later games. Will come in for Genia when WG is rested.
21. Mike Tindall (ENG v ARG) - Pommies best centre, will get alot of points later in the tournament.
22. Michael Tagicakibau (FIJ v NAM) - Same reason I've picked every Fijian.

Still abit of playing around I have to do, Tindall might get a go depending on run-on sides and Tagi likely to get dropped as he doesn't seem to be in favour in Fiji. All in all, pretty happy with my selections. Still can't pick a captain between Carter, Sexton and Paterson.

EDIT: Just dropped Tagicakibau for Vereniki Goneva (FIJI), trade gave me enough money to replace Lokotui with Nick Easter (ENG). Little is also not playing so will swap him straight for Tindall and bring in his replacement (i.e Fiji #10)

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Siale Piutau looks a speccy...playing in the wing for Tonga this week against the ABs, but has two opportunities to play havoc against Canada and Japan after that. He's an inside back in the Fantasy comp, same as when he was for Highlanders in the Super Fantasy team earlier this year despite playing in wing as well, and scored fairly well.
He'll be a good choice as a reserve this week given byes by some other teams in rounds 2 and 3.

Also suggest with an eye to round 3 where only seven games are played and thus six teams have byes so avoid having more than one player from amongst these six teams in the same position incl. reserves from round 1.

The six teams are: NZ, Ireland, Scotland, Fiji, Argentina and Romania.

This is harder than the Super Fantasy team comp, eh? But a lot more fun, me thinks...

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Might as well share (too excited not too)

1) Franks 2) Servat 3) Castro 4) Lawes 5) Gray 6) Brossouw 7) Dusautoir 8) Qera 9) Genia 10 x 3) Cooper, Carter, Steyn 11) Nalaga 14) Dagg 15) Beale

Replacements: Cross, Schwalger, Albacete, Easter, Fotuali'i, Morath, Tuilagi

- Would have gotten a Fijian inside back (given the whole Namibia thing) but not sure who is doing the kicking for them, so I thought I'd stick with the big guns of whom 2/3 I'm sure will play the whole or most of the match.
- If Parra gets back into the French side and ends up kicking I'll sub him for Genia potentially and use the other Australian slot on an outside back when they play against one of the minnows. Or even sub Genia for Burgess straight up.
- Torn between Wilko and Steyn. Went with Steyn because Wilko might get swapped for Flood if they get ahead by a bit against the Argies (as I suspect they will).
- I suspect Dagg might get shifted to wing even when Mills comes back into the starting lineup against France (I hope!).
- If S O'Brien gets fit I'll likely swap him for Easter

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Am having trouble with my hooker position.

To be a bit different I've gone with Tintu from Romania as backup hooker mainly because he's the captain and cheap. Will only use him if I get stretched with trades because the big guns rest players.

Thoughts on who to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.