• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How long will Quade get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
With the Morne Steyn tackle in 2010 and the Barnes tackle in 2012, and having only made a few in between, Quade would have the highest ratio of suspensions per tackle in the game.
Now it becomes clear. coaches hide him in defense because he is a penalty magnet. Too.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Dan,

Yeah, sounds good to me!

Like everyone I struggle with the inconsistencies. Foley gets nothing, not even cited for his obvious high shot on Ioane (contact in this case was made with the head, not shoulder first), and yet Cooper has to sit out a final?!

D

daz

So let me get this right, you're having a go at the Tahs for NOT running in and escalating things?

Not having a go, and I am not saying there needed to be a baseball style brawl. Just asking the question. Surely seeing a teammate lying on the ground with his head removed would give the Tahs some justification to let Quade know they did not agree with his tackling technique.

D

daz

Quite a few from both sides rushed in, Barnes and Cooper were underneath it all. Maybe the rest were just swapping Masterchef favourite recipes?
But seriously, Walsh handled it well, and didn't let it go feral.

There should be provision in the rules for the ref to assess the situation and deem it time for an all-in.

"Oh, yes, that looked nasty. Go to it boys".

Ah, the good old days.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not having a go, and I am not saying there needed to be a baseball style brawl. Just asking the question. Surely seeing a teammate lying on the ground with his head removed would give the Tahs some justification to let Quade know they did not agree with his tackling technique.

Watch the replay again. The players did rush straight in. Jenkins pulls Cooper off Barnes immediately. Walsh was just quick to blow the whistle and calm the situation down before it got out of hand.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Watch the replay again. The players did rush straight in. Jenkins pulls Cooper off Barnes immediately. Walsh was just quick to blow the whistle and calm the situation down before it got out of hand.

Like I said, pretty sure foley tries to go for a sneaky upper cut, but maybe pulls out of it.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I don't recall the Foley tackle and can't find anything on youtube. Does someone have footage of it?

D

daz

Fair enough. It appears that some umbrage was taken but Walsh put a stop to that pretty quick.

Still, I like my umbrage bloody. :D

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Hey wait up, I'm supporting my dentist through the GFC!

I thought the brawling was as apathetic as the rest of the Tahs play on Saturday. Where's the passion?

Though you have to give them credit. The Tahs forwards dominated the Reds pack in such an understated way that it was barely noticeable.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
so if they appeal will it also be a calendar week suspension, or a game based suspension? I say go for the appeal, what have they got to lose?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd guess the downside would be the uncertainty it creates.

Surely they just want to know what their team is and prepare for Saturday rather than be training with Lucas but still thinking Cooper might play and focusing on that. It would seem to be a distraction they don't need.

An appeal could also backfire spectacularly if the suspension was increased.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I have just spent some time on the second greatest Forum in the world, and it lives up to all the hype.

After reading some of the postings on this thread and justifications of QC (Quade Cooper) actions, I have to pinch myself to be reminded that I am not back on this thread from the second Greatest forum in the world -> http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=60028.[/quote]

Geeze Hugh, we've got a couple of potential keynote speakers for our upcoming AGM on that forum!!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Im sorry if this has been addressed earlier but i'm confused as to how an appeal can cause the ban to increase? If Quade has been given the one week suspension doesn't that mean the offence was only worthy of the week? Why would it then increase to say 3 weeks instead. From my understanding an appeal simply means the decision will be put in front of other judicial officers at SANZAR and they get to have their opinion, is the risk that the other officers may decide the original decision wasn't harsh enough?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In any appeal (whether we're talking a criminal matter or a sports judiciary matter), the original decision is reviewed to determine whether the decision made followed correct procedure/law. If the review finds that there were errors made they can overturn that decision.

By the same token that they can say that the original decision was wrong and there should be no suspension, they could also find that the original decision was wrong on the basis that the incident was more serious and that Quade Cooper's past record should dictate a loading on his suspension etc.

An appeal isn't just a second chance to get found not guilty.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
There is no justice when one player gets yellow carded in a vital match for 10 minutes and suspended for a crucial finals game for the same type of offense that is not even reported in another instance in the same game. When the consequences are so dire the expectation of and right to just treatment is only reasonable.

The whole system is a joke and it's lack of consistency robs it of any credibility. In my view the first offense that goes on report should be a fine unless it is judged to be a high grade intentional and particularly dangerous act. Second offense for similar conduct within the same season could be a suspension. At least that way you moderate the potential for undue harshness for fairly innocuous and isolated events.

Status
Not open for further replies.