• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes v Reds Sat 23rd April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fellas the thing with commentators unless they blowing air up your own team's arse, they can/tend get accused of bias.
We hear the same about TJ in NZ from some of our posters supposedly Crusader's fan, but the thing is sometimes some teams do a more good stuff than others. I have heard same about Ian Smith here being a Crusader's fan boy, he's a Hawkes Bay fan etc.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fellas the thing with commentators unless they blowing air up your own team's arse, they can/tend get accused of bias.
We hear the same about TJ in NZ from some of our posters supposedly Crusader's fan, but the thing is sometimes some teams do a more good stuff than others. I have heard same about Ian Smith here being a Crusader's fan boy, he's a Hawkes Bay fan etc.

Well TJ is a Crusaders/Tasman fanboy and Smithy is a Hawke's Bay fanboy.

Smithy goes out of his way to praise players from Hawke's Bay (it used to be Dagg but these days it's the curent crop of Fakatava, Flanders, McLutchie etc). I don't really mind it so much as he's sideline comments and that aside I think he's the best sports broadcaster in NZ by a country mile.

TJ is a shocker - the other week he referred to the Crusaders as "we", Beaudy made a gigantic break on the weekend (for Christie's try) and he called him Will Jordan, the only Blues players he especially praises are those that play for Tasman (i.e. Christie, Segner, M Telea), he absolutely fawns over Bridge doing the most basic of things whereas someone like Rieko has to make a match winning tackle to get recognition (and even then he wrongly called it as Papali'is tackle).

For what it's worth Kirwan is horrendous too in his pro-Blues rubbish - but he's not commentating the actual games so can be avoided.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
For what it's worth Kirwan is horrendous too in his pro-Blues rubbish - but he's not commentating the actual games so can be avoided.
It still blows my mind that kirwan coached Italy and then Japan in test rugby for all those years despite being clearly clueless about anythign analytical whatsoever.

His "coaching career" got a LOT of mileage out of just being John Kirwan.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep but easy to get 4 point difference in a game though TSR. Think with Aumua being gone will hurt Canes a bit, and I worry about scrums as I think Reds may get dominance there.
I was actually using your original thread title "23-4" as the score instead of the date.

The Reds (like the other Australian teams on average over the course of the rest of the competition) will not be within half the points of the hurricanes.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It still blows my mind that kirwan coached Italy and then Japan in test rugby for all those years despite being clearly clueless about anythign analytical whatsoever.

His "coaching career" got a LOT of mileage out of just being John Kirwan.
Because he, like most legendary people, are unconsciously competent. They have difficulty relating what is instinctively known to them onto people that don't have that instinct. Imo.

I could be wrong.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Reds (like the other Australian teams on average over the course of the rest of the competition) will not be within half the points of the hurricanes.
Sportsbet have the Hurricanes by 8.5.

They have total match points at 54.5. Meaning they predict approximately 31-23.

I hope the Reds get to within 7 to get a bonus point.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Because he, like most legendary people, are unconsciously competent. They have difficulty relating what is instinctively known to them onto people that don't have that instinct. Imo.

I could be wrong.
Totally agree.

"Look, just hold the ball in two hands while sprinting up the field with high speed swerves and instantly calibrated reads of the almost imperceptible changes in defensive alignments. Here, now you try".

Status
Not open for further replies.