• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Does anyone else think that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has looked average at best on the wing this year?

He is a world class 13 but behind Kuridrani. I think Cheika needs to make a tough call and put him on the bench and start either Tomane/Horne and Speight who I think have looked much better.

Fixed. Horne is not an international winger either. Great player, but not the answer on the wing.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Honestly some posters provincial bias' have become so dominant they cannot really be taken seriously. Not just you BR, but others who blamed Foley for the loss due to place kicking amongst other rubbish.

Really since the politics and rubbish surrounding the resignation of Link and the farcical nature of the whole Beale saga, ending in the woeful decision to select the bloke (who in 50 something tests has performed in under a handful ) Australian fandom has become even more insular and parochial. The management of the ARU really are inept, the game was already on its last legs and we throw in the whole complex process of "investigating" the Beale saga just to give the few fans left confidence. We enter the end game now. I wonder what the comparative viewer rating are in comparison with the same tour last year and before/after the re-inclusion of Beale. The figures that I have seen are not good.

Well Foley was held up for the strength of his place kicks, and good organisation yet this fell through, can you blame opinion being critically fixed to this aspect of his game, given he doesnt exactly unleash the back-line. You seem to place alot of emphasis on Beale, when the reality of a poor performing Wobs outfit over a long period of time, is the sole reason for any fickle response from fans.

Unless Foley stamps his authority in the fly in the next fixture, Cooper should be given first dibs thereafter at translating Cheika's gameplan with To'omua and TK as his sidekicks. Would prefer Genia, but Phibbs rich vein of form not techniques gets the nod. What an interesting backline. Further McCalman played soundly, but cant see him displacing Palu power, could be interesting at 6 though - lineout option, extra go forward and sting in D - would be on par for work ethic - allowing Hoops to focus more on pilfering.

T

TOCC

Whilst the results haven't reflected it, Australia is in a good spot to be debating the credentials between Quade and Foley.. I would be personally happy to see either of them selected, and when they are selected they are going to be held accountable to the other players standards. If only the Wallabies had this conundrum in other positions.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't know what people are talking about when they mention parhocalism and club bias???

Meanwhile, here is my team for next week:

1. Holmes
2. Fainga'a
3. Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Shatz
7. Gill
8. Browning
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Tapuai
13. Kerevi
14. Turner
15. K.Hunt

16. Kepu
17. Hanson
18. Robinson
19. McCalman
20. Burgess
21. Foley
22. CFS
23. JJT

terrific team, Mate
i endorse it almost 100 per cent.

i have just three queries:

18. Robinson
Beau, Benn or Other?

20. Burgess
is that Sam, George, Tom, Luke, Luke or Other Burgess?

21. Foley
have to do better there
isn't there some world-beating 10 lurking in the NRC ranks?
i have heard so
Scottish-type name
McIntyre?
or, maybe, you mean Michael Foley?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
terrific team, Mate
i endorse it almost 100 per cent.

i have just three queries:

18. Robinson
Beau, Benn or Other?

20. Burgess
is that Sam, George, Tom, Luke, Luke or Other Burgess?

21. Foley
have to do better there
isn't there some world-beating 10 lurking in the NRC ranks?
i have heard so
Scottish-type name
McIntyre?
or, maybe, you mean Michael Foley?

Careful - you'll have Sully mixing his metaphors again

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jesus you really all are a bunch of miserable pricks.

thanks, Mate

i did read the rest of your post and concurred almost 1.00
however, that first sentence says "it" all.
clearly, myself excluded as i thought the Wallabies were terrific and took several giant strides towards reaching their full potential.

Go Wallabies!

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Whilst the results haven't reflected it, Australia is in a good spot to be debating the credentials between Quade and Foley.. I would be personally happy to see either of them selected, and when they are selected they are going to be held accountable to the other players standards. If only the Wallabies had this conundrum in other positions.

more good sense
thanks, Mate

i did something very rare for me this week.
i reviewed our playing stocks.
i was very pleasantly surprised to find major personnel deficiencies in only two areas:
1. lock, where we really are struggling (i must be careful here as "Ash" slams me for trolling if i question the quality of the locks)
2. we lack serious pace on the wings, at fullback and in the centres.

TGC has a difficult search and recruit campaign to remedy those deficiencies.

my greatest rugby maxim: speed kills

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's not hard guys. If you want to talk about this game post here. If you want to name a team or talk about net weeks game go to that match thread. It's not rocket surgery.
Rocket Science... Or as Ricky from trailer park boys says.

It ain't rocket appliances

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Careful - you'll have Sully mixing his metaphors again

I'd make sure that you count up all your chickens in a row before pretending to be as grammatically smart as all the other rocket surgeons who claim that @Sully mixes up his metaphors.

Proper England language means little at @Sullys workplace. As long as he can tell the difference between Brown, White, and green and yellow, their'll be no sparks flying off the skin of his teeth.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
more good sense
thanks, Mate

i did something very rare for me this week.
i reviewed our playing stocks.
i was very pleasantly surprised to find major personnel deficiencies in only two areas:
1. lock, where we really are struggling (i must be careful here as "Ash" slams me for trolling if i question the quality of the locks)
2. we lack serious pace on the wings, at fullback and in the centres.

TGC has a difficult search and recruit campaign to remedy those deficiencies.

my greatest rugby maxim: speed kills
Speight pretty quick when flying.

NFL

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm finding it increasingly hard to see the Wallabies in a glass half full light.
The game today, though close, still reflects poorly on the team for making a lot of basic mistakes.
I see some positive moments and improvement from individuals, but as a collection of players they looked like it was their first game today.

Ireland played well, and a credit to them for the win - they showed a lot of ticker.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm finding it increasingly hard to see the Wallabies in a glass half full light.
The game today, though close, still reflects poorly on the team for making a lot of basic mistakes.
I see some positive moments and improvement from individuals, but as a collection of players they looked like it was their first game today.

Ireland played well, and a credit to them for the win - they showed a lot of ticker.

here's glass > half full for you
yesterday we were the equal, in rugby merit, of the number 3 team on this planet.
we have a coherent strategy and game plan
increasingly, we have the personnel to run the game plan

my glass > half full
about 80 per cent
and of good stuff!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
true, that makes one fast bloke.
we need more.
The Brand is electric over 30-50 metres and not slow over 100.
but we need more than those two.
Tomane fast if you seen him in space. Beale's lighting. Really the slow ones are not the true wingers. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne. Then Izzy isnt fast but he is our best fullback by a mile. I mean there's no Rod Davis/Mogg pace.. But we are fast with the right guys

T

Train Without a Station

here's glass > half full for you
yesterday we were the equal, in rugby merit, of the number 3 team on this planet.
we have a coherent strategy and game plan
increasingly, we have the personnel to run the game plan

my glass > half full
about 80 per cent
and of good stuff!

Every year the Southern Hemisphere teams climb the rankings in November after cannibalising each other (ratings wise) for the 2 to 3 months prior.

"Coming close to x place team" means very little when every year previously we've shown that the rankings are distorted until December when almost all teams had sued each other for the year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I thought on balance that the Wallabies earnt a pass mark last night. Some scintillating play and some silly errors. This Ireland team are good and I don't think it's the end of the world that we lost to them by 3 at their home ground after all that has gone on in the Wallabies in the past 6-8 weeks.

Phipps was great, Foley does the job that Cheika wants him to do, I liked Toumua, TK good (hope he's not injured), Speight did enough to hold his spot, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) consistent although may struggle when and if our full compliment of wingers are available, Folau good under the high ball and ran well. The starting forward pack were good and I'd retain them.

Cheika was quoted during the week as highlighting the value of Cooper and Beale off the bench - it didn't really happen that way last night, but I suspect that is the long term plan.

Genia needs to eliminate the skip step/s before being selected for the Wallabies. It was quite noticeable that when he came on the receivers had that split second less time before the defence arrived.

I've watched most of the tests in the northern autumn and people need to realise a couple of things, firstly the teams that visit here in June are weaker than the teams we play in November (particularly England and France) and secondly, the general standard of play in the NH nations has improved. We're just not going to go over there and have one hard game anymore and win the others easily.

Waratah supporters will recognise Waratahs 2013 to what's happened in the past 3 tests. Then we had the same comments made about how bad everything was going and how Cheika had to change his game plan etc, etc, etc. Cheika didn't change his game plan - what he did was coach the players into playing his game plan. Players who he thought couldn't or wouldn't implement the plan were moved on at the end of 2013 and new guys came in and it came together for the Waratahs in 2014. I expect this will happen with Wallabies 2015 - keep the faith, these tests aren't the end of the world.:)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am just going on what you have said, and unfortunately for you Argentina have blown massive holes in your arguments about the France game. The France game was just as nearly everyone said: a sloppy, error ridden Wallabies strangled by aggressive French defence. On both of those performances from last week, neither team would get close to the semis of the WC.

Still side with troll.

Anyway, enough with that.

not at all.

the results vindicate my questions about the form book and the ratings:
ratings
1. the gap between numbers 1 and 2 in the ratings is all-time high
2. the gap between 2 and 10 in the ratings is small and narrowing
conclusion: rugby power is equalizing and spreading

form
1. recent form of the teams rated 2-12 is getting more and more even and remaining quite consistent (except, perhaps, France).
2. Argentina's recent form seems to have been greatly undervalued
3. Wallabies' recent form has been very good - equality in rugby merit with the champion of Europe was a very good performance.
conclusion: recent form is probably the best predictor for the punt.

may i please ask you to:
1. find out about ratings and form before commenting on them.
2. have a think about what "nearly everyone" (your words) means. it certainly means more than a few blokes who post on GAGR plus a small minority of people in QLand. hey, it's a pretty big world.

i presume you are out investing the proceeds from your massive punt on Ireland, taking the serious overs offered by those stupid bookmakers.
enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.