• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2018 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Uni-Norths 25 def Gungahlin 24 (Matt Hawke red carded for a dangerous tackle plus another red during the game)
Easts 42 def Wests 13
Tuggeranong 22 def Queanbeyan 15

Serious discipline issues at Dara. Second red card for verballing the referee after a tip tackle yellow card. Ref threatened to call the game with the chat levelled at him.

Uni lucky to hold on. The Students Can run out a tight game!

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
That doesn't sound good out Darra way! Has there been a loos of senior players or a turn over in coaching staff out there? About time uni snagged a tight one!

How good is it to easties having a crack! Pretty sure they have gone half a season without racking up 42 points. You would be going back a few years to find the last time they ran up a score like that.

I thought the whites might have got up today but seems Tuggies are ticking along nicely.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Sounds like a bit of a circus at ANU today going by the Canberra Times report. Reading the quotes from both coaches I get the sense the game was ruined by card happy over excited refs. The hit in the air by Hawke reportedly put the ANU player in an ambulance so there is a fair argument for that one but 2 reds and 3 yellows in a game is a bit beyond the reasonable. Sounds like the refs need to settle a little. Rugby has gone card happy of late!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Having listened to some of the audio from the game the ref did warn Gungahlin about some high tackles around the 30 minute mark then Hawke was carded striaght after.

The tip tackle yellow was a card by the letter of the law and the red straight after was for 'you've got to be F'ing kidding me' from what I could here.

This is the Hawke red card incident

Hawke.gif

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Serious discipline issues at Dara. Second red card for verballing the referee after a tip tackle yellow card. Ref threatened to call the game with the chat levelled at him.

Uni lucky to hold on. The Students Can run out a tight game!

I'd be very interested to know what he said to the referee. At the ground, a few of us didn't really know what had happened, the first guy got yellow carded and then suddenly red? It was definitely a different unique game, I can't recall seeing a game like that in my time. Easts flogging Wests is interesting. The Lions only got up in 4th grade I believe, though that was against Hall. Good day out for Cornforth/Easts, winning 1s, 2s and colts.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A check of reg 17 recommends:

Verbal abuse of an official has a lower end entry point of 6 weeks, Mid 12 and Top end 18+

The dangerous tackle could come under a few points but could be 2 (unlikely), 5 or 10+.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks for the link BJ - legend! That is an ugly tackle from Hawke. I don't think he intended to do that but it ended up being careless and dangerous and although I wouldn't have been outraged if it were yellow I'm very comfortable with the red especially if he was on a warning as you mentioned. The second red I have major issue with. Not a good look players blowing up at refs about decisions but if that is all that was said I'd say it's nothing more than marching him 10 yards. It's not a threat to the ref, it isn't even particularly questioning of the decision. I should stop - we need refs, they do a job and the ACTRU refs seem a very professional well drilled bunch who generally do a good job. I am a little concerned at the number of rugby games of late that are decided by an early card.

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Just had a look at the video. I completely agree Istanbul, marching them another 10 would have been enough.
I think the refs do a great job. I would like to see more ex players take it up after they hang up the boots.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Thanks for the link BJ - legend! That is an ugly tackle from Hawke. I don't think he intended to do that but it ended up being careless and dangerous and although I wouldn't have been outraged if it were yellow I'm very comfortable with the red especially if he was on a warning as you mentioned. The second red I have major issue with. Not a good look players blowing up at refs about decisions but if that is all that was said I'd say it's nothing more than marching him 10 yards. It's not a threat to the ref, it isn't even particularly questioning of the decision. I should stop - we need refs, they do a job and the ACTRU refs seem a very professional well drilled bunch who generally do a good job. I am a little concerned at the number of rugby games of late that are decided by an early card.

What we don’t get from the footage is a real gauge on the chat from Dara over the 55 minutes prior. If this was consistent through the game you can’t blame the ref for giving the marching orders.

I personally think we’re missing the point questioning the referee here.
Hawke, red card every day. Intent isn’t written in the laws of rugby when it comes to foul play so we need to stop looking at that as a guide between yellow and red card threshold.
Tip tackle, yellow card everyday.
Second red, berate the player not the referee here. That comment is pathetic, the comments in the paper from their coach have doubled down on very poor behaviour on the field.
There were warnings prior to the high tackle yellow and yellow cards for intentional knockdowns are commonplace this season.

The players are to blame here. Not the referee.

I’ll say it again. Serious discipline issues at Dara, looking like they come from the top with the coaches comments in the paper.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
What we don’t get from the footage is a real gauge on the chat from Dara over the 55 minutes prior. If this was consistent through the game you can’t blame the ref for giving the marching orders.

I personally think we’re missing the point questioning the referee here.
Hawke, red card every day. Intent isn’t written in the laws of rugby when it comes to foul play so we need to stop looking at that as a guide between yellow and red card threshold.
Tip tackle, yellow card everyday.
Second red, berate the player not the referee here. That comment is pathetic, the comments in the paper from their coach have doubled down on very poor behaviour on the field.
There were warnings prior to the high tackle yellow and yellow cards for intentional knockdowns are commonplace this season.

The players are to blame here. Not the referee.

I’ll say it again. Serious discipline issues at Dara, looking like they come from the top with the coaches comments in the paper.

Can't disagree with anything you said and I wasn't at the game so I don't have a sense of what had happened in the lead up to the second red. Agree the Darra coach comments showed poor leadership, but was interested that the Uni coach provided a few quotes that suggested he wasn't totally comfortable with all of the decisions either.

No doubt players need to take responsibility and lift the standards- taking a player in the air is dangerous and a lazy effort. Chasing a player from the ruck to kick his legs out is just dumb! Both clearly red cards. Still not convinced back chat is more than a 10 yard march. I really want to see the red card remain for outrageously foul play and not become the normal. My biggest fear is that we have a cracking JID this year and rock up for a highly anticipated Grand Final only for a card to decide the game early on.

As dumb and lazy as Hawkes tackle was on the weekend, would be still be comfortable with the red if it happened 5 minutes into a GF?

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Having listened to some of the audio from the game the ref did warn Gungahlin about some high tackles around the 30 minute mark then Hawke was carded striaght after.

The tip tackle yellow was a card by the letter of the law and the red straight after was for 'you've got to be F'ing kidding me' from what I could here.

This is the Hawke red card incident

View attachment 9960

Some players respond to their teammate being taken out in the air with a flurry of punches, others it seems break into star jumps....

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Can't disagree with anything you said and I wasn't at the game so I don't have a sense of what had happened in the lead up to the second red. Agree the Darra coach comments showed poor leadership, but was interested that the Uni coach provided a few quotes that suggested he wasn't totally comfortable with all of the decisions either.
I can tell you the Uni Coach is feeling seriously aggrieved at being misquoted and trying to get hold of the reporter; looking at Eammon's last couple of articles he seems to believe that he needs to get some controversy to get some reads so his questioning is focused on the cards instead of the fact that Gungahlin still got close playing short.

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Time for my mid reason review.
Tuggeranong - 1st (36 points)
Sitting nicely. They have addressed their scrum issue which plagued their 2017 season. Lineout a the major concern for them in the second half of the year. When is the younger Lonergan (a 2017 Australian Schoolboy) going to return from injury? Have unearthed some new talent this year. 2018 has been the making of Smith as a leader. He looks fit this season.
Royals - 2nd (32 points)
Sitting nicely. Were always due to lose a game or two with many new faces after their Premiership. Will be a real threat in the finals. Cole has been a standout this season. I am convinced they can go back to back.
Easts - 3rd (31 points)
The fairy tale of season 2018. Hopefully it continues. Would be great to see them make the 4.
Queanbeyan - 4th (29 points)
They will make the 4 and be a tough and worthy opponent in the finals.
Uni-Norths - 5th (21 points)
Feels like they deserve to be in the 4. I think Uni can still make the finals and be a force. Have the best scrum in the competition when they have everyone on deck. Have really enjoyed watching the team this year.
Wests - 6th (19 points)
Really not sure what is happening over at Jamison this year. Catchpole Street is not buzzing as it was in 2017. The Lions are struggling across the board in most grades.
Gungahlin/Dara - 7th (17 points)
The wheels have fallen off. Coach Atkins squeezed a lot out of this group early in his tenure as coach. They made a prelim final in 2016 with a roster similar to what they have at the moment. Is there a bit of the Eddie Jones/short term success but issues long term in their coaching setup? Very disappointing in their 50th year in 2017 and struggling again this year. Have great numbers and are well set up to bounce back in 2019.
Overall, it has been an insane JID season.
2018 Premiers: Royals or Uni.

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Easts vs Uni- Biggest game of the season for Uni. Have to aim up. Uni by 13.
Royals vs Wests- Royals by plenty.

Gungahlin, Queanbeyan and Tuggeranong have the bye.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Easts vs Uni- Biggest game of the season for Uni. Have to aim up. Uni by 13.
Royals vs Wests- Royals by plenty.

Gungahlin, Queanbeyan and Tuggeranong have the bye.

I think Easts might be a bit good for the Uni lads. Uni has been poor in the close games this year and struggled to get the W against a an average Darra team with multiple players in the bin. Easts coming into the game off the back of running up the clubs biggest score in a long time. Hope it's a high quality game without any cards - let em play refs....

Status
Not open for further replies.