• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
I really think the "Sydney Stars" is a poor name. I think it should more native australian animal orientated personally. Otherwise you end up sounding like you are copying the NFL with teams like the Cowboys and Broncos... Canberra Kookaburras is perfect! I like it!

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I really think the "Sydney Stars" is a poor name. I think it should more native australian animal orientated personally. Otherwise you end up sounding like you are copying the NFL with teams like the Cowboys and Broncos. Canberra Kookaburras is perfect! I like it!

Well behind the 8 ball mate refer to Bruce's comment pg 10

Kentucky

Bob McCowan (2)
Plenty of discussion here about potential Sydney sides. Does anyone know how they are dividing queensland into two teams and where they are going to play?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Plenty of discussion here about potential Sydney sides. Does anyone know how they are dividing queensland into two teams and where they are going to play?

Roar Columnist Scott Allen said | February 15th 2014

"I understand no Brisbane club will participate in the NRC and that QRU have bid for two licences.

I heard last night that QRU are running with a City team and a Country team but no more detail than that as to whether the Country team is really a second city team based on the Gold Coast.

I think the QRU will do a much better job than clubs could so I see it as a positive for the competition overall that the QRU stepped in."

Also read that 1 team will be aligned with Uni of Q, other with Griffith who have 3 x campuses incl Logan & GC. Downside is both will probably play out of Ballymore which kinda undermines the whole Logan-GC concept IMO.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Their colts have been big improvers as have many aspects of the club. They have a very young side and need to strengthen key positions.
If you look back, you will see where they have been not where they are going.
I am presuming that, if they get picked to play 3T, they will get some players from Easts as well as the Waratahs and will be much stronger than the SS team.

Macca, I wont change my mind on Randwick standing alone, as a Shute Shield club they are working hard like most other clubs. So hope it is a JV with Easts, and I wish Southern was on board as well.

I've mentioned before;
  • Randwick haven't really competed recently in First Grade for a number of years so why should they stand alone.
  • Another example last time Randwick colts Played Uni colts 98 points separated them.
But a positive that you Wicks fans haven't promoted, and I think is far more than a Brand that was flying around with Ansett. - is 4th in Club Championships. Whilst it is not the whole club running out it does show the club depth and foundations. But as do the 3 clubs above - one of which is standing alone.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think there needs to be a LOT of time and effort put into the referees.

They are so critical to how a game flows.

Nigel Owens in that article just recently is right in that it is the players that dictate how the game goes, however if the players know they can get away with crap that is advantageous to them because the referee is poor, then they will do just that and the game will become a shambles to watch.

Players should respect the laws of the game and the referee, however the referee should also earn (and keep) the respect of the players by working hard at getting the decisions correct so the players don't become frustrated and start doing stupid shit that fucks up the game.

I haven't read what they are planning to do with them - are they planning on something specific in relation to the refs?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
(I am not a referee, and could never do it. I think most of them probably try very hard to do what they can, but maybe just lack some sort of unified instruction or training system that regularly monitors and critiques what they are doing. I really don't know what happens with them here in Australia and would be interested to know how it works now for Super Rugby and how it will work for the NRC)

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
(I am not a referee, and could never do it. I think most of them probably try very hard to do what they can, but maybe just lack some sort of unified instruction or training system that regularly monitors and critiques what they are doing. I really don't know what happens with them here in Australia and would be interested to know how it works now for Super Rugby and how it will work for the NRC)
Of course, gel, we could try something weirdly radical like requiring that all contracted players complete the theory section requirement for qualification as a referee. Then all 33 of those actually on the field of play might begin to approach the detailed knowledge of the Laws possessed by those on the other side of the boundary fence.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Of course, gel, we could try something weirdly radical like requiring that all contracted players complete the theory section requirement for qualification as a referee. Then all 33 of those actually on the field of play might begin to approach the detailed knowledge of the Laws possessed by those on the other side of the boundary fence.
haha, yeah of course we spectators know best.

But leaving the snide comments aside - I would see this competition as an opportunity to also raise the level of the refereeing in this country.

I am generally really impressed with how the south african referees control the game and there must be a reason that they constantly seem to have refs that somehow let the game flow at the same time as clamp down on nuisance play. And it has been consistently that way for quite a long time.

They must have something in place that keeps producing refs of high quality.

Although there have been some referees from Australia that have been quite good over time, it seems to be pretty patchy at best in terms of that special something.

As I said, I have no friggen idea how the referees cope with so many laws in such a fast flowing game - it is truly a miracle to consider what must be going through their minds. I could never do it and think it would be laughable for me to even try, but that doesn't mean that I can't see players constantly frustrated with particular referees and that games refereed by particular individuals constantly being niggly, crappy whistle fests with constant finger pointing and arm waving and ridiculous amounts of player backchat.

Andrew Jackson

Bob McCowan (2)
Roar Columnist Scott Allen said | February 15th 2014

"I understand no Brisbane club will participate in the NRC and that QRU have bid for two licences.

I heard last night that QRU are running with a City team and a Country team but no more detail than that as to whether the Country team is really a second city team based on the Gold Coast.

I think the QRU will do a much better job than clubs could so I see it as a positive for the competition overall that the QRU stepped in."

Also read that 1 team will be aligned with Uni of Q, other with Griffith who have 3 x campuses incl Logan & GC. Downside is both will probably play out of Ballymore which kinda undermines the whole Logan-GC concept IMO.

Good finds W Oldboy. RE Logan-GC - I know the corridor your talking about. I grew up at Sunnybank. If Griffith is one of the two unis, Griffith University IS that corridor! So might be a team there :cool:. Would be nice, but not fused if they are out of Ballymore for now;
  • Hopefully a ground can be built on the Southside over the coming decade. Somewhere like Nathan Campus off the Pacific Motorway.
Checking campus locations, UQ seems to have a more Country/North Brisbane affiliation than Griffith which seems to be Brisbane River / South Brisbane / GC.

UQ campuses;
  • St Lucia - West side of Brisbane
  • Ipswich - 20km west of Brisbane
  • Gatton - Half way between Ipswich and Toowoomba
  • Herston - Suburb that includes Ballymore (so UQ team out of Ballymore makes sense from that perspective)
  • UQ satellite facilities including Toowoomba
Griffith University Campuses;

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Heard the brisbane side was with UQ and the other side was with bond rather than griffith. Also heard other universities involved with bids in sydney include USyd, UNSW and macquarie.

@WCR heard that talks between randwick and easts broke down due to percieved arrogance from wicks. Nothing more than that.

@andrew jackson and @waiopehu oldboy All that other information on the qld sides was bounced around here before if you go back a few pages on this thread or into the old 3rd tier is back thread, wouldn't be surprised if scott got it from here.

Certainly if its a ballymore based north brissy side and a gold coast side, something should be examined for a griffith uni, QE2 based south brisbane side at some stage. I think this would have been a better option than a GC side initially.

Andrew Jackson

Bob McCowan (2)

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Macca, I wont change my mind on Randwick standing alone, as a Shute Shield club they are working hard like most other clubs. So hope it is a JV with Easts, and I wish Southern was on board as well.

I've mentioned before;
  • Randwick haven't really competed recently in First Grade for a number of years so why should they stand alone.
  • Another example last time Randwick colts Played Uni colts 98 points separated them.
But a positive that you Wicks fans haven't promoted, and I think is far more than a Brand that was flying around with Ansett. - is 4th in Club Championships. Whilst it is not the whole club running out it does show the club depth and foundations. But as do the 3 clubs above - one of which is standing alone.
Thanks DB - last I heard they were aiming to proceed in a JV with Easts & UNSW. I don't know for sure and also think this is better than a stand alone scenario as well.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
@waiopehu oldboy Have you got a reference link there for Griffith

Pretty sure it was on the Brisbane Times site & within the last month. Also heard it from a mate who's involved with a local club. I've heard & read of Bond's possible involvement as well but my understanding is that the Logan clubs would prefer Griffith as it's seen as being more a part of the local community

T

Train Without a Station

With Bond being linked to the Reds now, taking over Griffith's previous sponsorship I think and QRU running both the teams, you'd have to think they would more likely link with a team.

I could be incorrect but I think Bond may have a stronger Sports Science faculty now as well.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)

Our whole club, from president through to colts players went through the Smart Rugby theory a couple of weeks ago. Plenty of law clarification for players and coaches alike.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Our whole club, from president through to colts players went through the Smart Rugby theory a couple of weeks ago. Plenty of law clarification for players and coaches alike.
Brilliant. Complexity is what separates our code and is the basis of its appeal.

Knowledge of the Laws leads to respect for the Laws, and respect for referees. I hope that this initiative pays off in terms of assisting the Club's resurgence.

Status
Not open for further replies.