• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I am surprised with JB at 14, doesn't concern me, as he played there before, even if I prefer him at 15. Definitely will be looking to move Wallaby attack around I thinking, 2 playmakers like that and JB will cover 15 while BB in as extra 10. I was hoping to see Sotutu start, but can understand coming from bench, I would of loved opposite way around and had Ardie coming on at 8 against tiring team. Bridge I didn't see, but have no idea what plan ABs have got, I be surprised if was as simple as hell we got some big un's lets just kick it in air all day, though Nugget will give it a few early I think. Rennie is too good a coach to fall for that I think.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Compared to our last game we played, it's a whole new world.

Only three players have the same jersey: Hooper, Koroibete and Uelese.

Only two players from the RWC XV are in Sunday's XV. 13 new players in total.
2020 2019 RWC
1 Slipper v Sio
2 FF (Folau Fainga'a) v Latu
3 Tupou v Ala'alatoa
4 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) v Rodda
5 Philip v Arnold
6 Wilson v Pocock
7 Hooper v Hooper
8 Samu v Naisarani
9 White v Genia
10 JO'C v Lealiifano
11 Koroibete v Koroibete
12 To'omua v Kerevi
13 Paisami v Petaia
14 Daugunu v Hodge
15 Banks v Beale
16 Uelese v Uelese
17 Sio v Slipper
18 Ala'alatoa v Tupou
19 Simmons v Coleman
20 Valetini v LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
21 Gordon v White
22 Lolesio v To'omua
23 Hodge v O'Connor

Locks clearly a level below. I think Wilson will be a better 6 than Pocock was. Arguably Paisami in good form is as good as an undercooked Petaia was coming back from a long injury. I'd take Kerevi. Daugunu is a better winger than Hodge and I'd take Beale over Banks. Not as worse off as I initially thought when I saw the comparison.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The All Blacks are a little less one dimensional than Schmidt's Ireland. I think they'll be pretty comfortable with plan B, C, D..
It's their first game under Foster, I'm not sure they'll necessarily smoothly change gears to a backup plan.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's their first game under Foster, I'm not sure they'll necessarily smoothly change gears to a backup plan.

Agree, I also think Foster is a pretty limited coach, they certainly won't be able to change tactics like they did so quickly under Hansen and Henry. This is a ploy they've obviously run with and will commit to it I think.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Agree, I also think Foster is a pretty limited coach, they certainly won't be able to change tactics like they did so quickly under Hansen and Henry. This is a ploy they've obviously run with and will commit to it I think.

With respect qwerty, I don't know how you can make that assumption? The bloke hasn't been the head coach for a single game, for all we know, he could have been the mastermind behind many of Hansen's decisions over the last few years.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I'm happy with the squad, other than Tate completely missing out. I would have thought keeping the 8, 9 and 10 combination together would be beneficial in a game with limited prep would outweigh picking Gordon.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Nah, you can't have watched that North v. South game and thought this is a bunch of players that mindlessly commit to one approach. I agree that Foster is an uninspiring selection as coach but you also have some new assistants in their too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Compared to our last game we played, it's a whole new world.

Of the players who played the RWC quarter final that aren't in this team, the following 9 players are unavailable for selection:

Latu, Rodda, Arnold, Pocock, Genia, Leali'ifano, Kerevi, Beale, Coleman.

It's hard to say how many of those would be in the 23 if they were available. I reckon three to five out of Latu, Rodda, Arnold, Genia and Kerevi.

Petaia and Naisarani are the only two available for selection and I think it is clear that Petaia would be in this 23 if healthy.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I'm happy with the squad, other than Tate completely missing out. I would have thought keeping the 8, 9 and 10 combination together would be beneficial in a game with limited prep would outweigh picking Gordon.

In a way I agree but I also felt that Tate's performances this year off the bench were in stark contrast to when he started. It was mentioned on the podcast that directions might have come down to bench him to simulate a Wallabies bench performance.

Rennie might feel that he's either a starter or not in the team.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I am surprised with JB at 14, doesn't concern me, as he played there before, even if I prefer him at 15. Definitely will be looking to move Wallaby attack around I thinking, 2 playmakers like that and JB will cover 15 while BB in as extra 10. I was hoping to see Sotutu start, but can understand coming from bench, I would of loved opposite way around and had Ardie coming on at 8 against tiring team. Bridge I didn't see, but have no idea what plan ABs have got, I be surprised if was as simple as hell we got some big un's lets just kick it in air all day, though Nugget will give it a few early I think. Rennie is too good a coach to fall for that I think.

Agree re: Jordie. I think he's a better FB than his brother, but then it's the whole two playmaker model that the All Blacks have committed to, not to mention how do you fit all these 10's into a team :)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With respect qwerty, I don't know how you can make that assumption? The bloke hasn't been the head coach for a single game, for all we know, he could have been the mastermind behind many of Hansen's decisions over the last few years.

Because I watched this man coach the Chiefs.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Funny that he's going head to head with his Chief's replacement.

Yep,but what a lot forget the different players they had at Chiefs, and Rennie had Wayne Smith as assistant coach! I do wonder if it crosses their minds though, about Chiefs etc

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Is it possible this is the smallest Wallabies backline of the professional era? Banks is the tallest at 1.86m and Koroibete the heaviest at 96kg.

I would suspect so. Particularly given that we've had a tendency to select at least on bigger centre and some big wingers too.

The Wallabies backling is average 179cm tall and 91kgs vs All Blacks 185cm tall and 93kgs.

The height differential is the most concerning - particularly on the wings.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Not much I don't like about the team. If Petaia wasn't going to be available, I wanted TK at 13 and I maintain that.

Also interesting to see that Daugunu was chosen on a wing ahead of not only Wright, but also Hodge and Maddocks. I respectfully disagree and fear a red card for a dangerous tackle is coming. Desperately hope I am wrong.