• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Watched Barker v Shore. It was a trial game and maybe Barker are better this year but I have concerns for Shore. Last year they were competitive but still only 1? game due to a couple of good forwards and speed with a couple of backs. This year they lack size and speed. Maybe they didn't have their full strength side playing.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
KWS ran away quite comfortably at a 35-9 scoreline (3 penalty goals to TAS).

Thanks, Hurly. I can go to bed now. I think New won against KWS - don't remember the numbers. A comparison of the two scores might provide a rough measure of TAS 1 against New 1. I have the impression that open numbers may be down at TAS this year. Still have absolutely no idea how the thirds comp might go this year.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Knox win 26-19. Knox pack looked great. View spilt a lot of ball and Knox took advantage to be deserving winners.
Maybe surprised that Knox were able to tople View but not surprised that they are improving. Have been visiting Knox recently for a variety of reasons and that school is 'on the up' with several sports and academics. It should be a 'powerhouse' school given its large student numbers and facilities.....and location I would argue.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes, it looked ugly and we hope the young man is going to be OK.
But what little we did see of Newington was most impressive. I would rate this team superior to that of last year. They were clinical, precise, fit and superbly well drilled. They established a ruthless momentum and never allowed Oakhill into the game at any stage. But then again it was a short game.

I understand that the boy concerned underwent spinal surgery last night and has movement in fingers and toes.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Will be most interested in teams for joeys v scots this weekend

Altgh hard to see joeys putting an end to what has been a remarkable period of scots dominance ... has anyone got the recent run of results?!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
The results are all the more amazing given over the same period I would think joeys has won 90% of games outside of the 1st xv, even allowing for games not always being like with like

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Angus Bell from Newington out for 3-4 weeks with concussion coupled with minor shin splints. devastating.

Sad news for Angus, but it's something that needs to be treated with care.

Is it something he did at league?

He will still feature strongly for Newington when the season begins!

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
hard to see joeys putting an end to what has been a remarkable period of scots dominance . has anyone got the recent run of results?!

OK SDW, Scots have won the last 11 encounters in a row.

Looking forward to a great weekend of Rugby. Some very interesting games on offer.

1ST XV

N v I Will Riverview fight back from their ignominious defeat against Knox? Tipping New to win the forwards battle and View the backs. Can the forwards hang on?

Kn v K Battle of the forward packs I suspect. Knox on a deserved high following last weekend. Could be character building this weekend for the vanquished.

S&T v J Both squads in camp last weekend preparing for battle. Could be a cracking game in prospect. Suspect a fast paced game. Surely not 12 in a row :eek: for the Joeys die hards.

W v E How good are Waves this year? Two Upper North Shore schools very keen to find out. Shore will be keen to make amends for last week.

3RD XV

C v G Anyone have a form guide for this one?

TAS v H

My tip cricket score to TAS. Jim Belshaw will be our man on the ground. So a preview and review please JB!

If you can sneak away to catch a game I would be at Warrawee or Stanmore. My tips as match(es) of the round.

Short Ball

Allen Oxlade (6)
Rorke (7) and Rigney (4) out for View this week with minor injuries.

New will win if they can drag View into a dirty forwards game.
View will win if they can secure quick ball and spread to their outside backs.

Any update on the injured lad from Saturday?

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
OK SDW, Scots have won the last 11 encounters in a row.

Looking forward to a great weekend of Rugby. Some very interesting games on offer.

1ST XV

3RD XV

C v G Anyone have a form guide for this one?

TAS v H

My tip cricket score to TAS. Jim Belshaw will be our man on the ground. So a preview and review please JB!

If you can sneak away to catch a game I would be at Warrawee or Stanmore. My tips as match(es) of the round.

Sadly I won't be in Armidale, AS. I always have difficulty in previewing TAS in advance of the main comp because there are so few early games and I'm not close enough to pick up the pre-season gos.

So far we have just the one result, KSW's comfortable 35-9 win. All TAS points came from penalties. so the school clearly has a handy kicker. This could be useful given the number of penalties in these early games.

Over recent years, the TAS backline has been consistently good. While smaller than say Scots Firsts!, they have been fast and dangerous. However, there has also been a reliance on one or two very good speedster players each year.

TAS forwards have not, I think, been as good compared to their Sydney counterparts. It's partly a matter of size although there have been some larger players, more one of skills. They do play with characteristic underdog country v city enthusiasm, I have seen some quite remarkable try-line saves, but where an opponent can shut them down thus nullifying the backs losses follow.

According to some of the commentary here, SBH is relatively weak this year. The school often lifts on these now long standing Armidale visits. For TAS to achieve a cricket score, the TAS forwards will need to establish dominance early to allow their backs to run through.

Hopefully, someone will be able to attend the game and report. The first critical issue to watch for; does TAS have another good backline? The second, are the forwards good enough to establish a platform in the face of the often larger Sydney packs?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
hope all is on the improve for the kid from Newington?

sincere thoughts and prays for the boy and his family

Re Scots ... other than 1sts and maybe 2nds are there any other Scots teams that are a genuine chance .. as not sure if there are any strong age groups, coming through?

seems like Kings seems to be the school picking up some freakish talent, as think they have a fair few age groups that will challenge Joeys in 2017

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
hope all is on the improve for the kid from Newington?

sincere thoughts and prays for the boy and his family

Re Scots . other than 1sts and maybe 2nds are there any other Scots teams that are a genuine chance .. as not sure if there are any strong age groups, coming through?

seems like Kings seems to be the school picking up some freakish talent, as think they have a fair few age groups that will challenge Joeys in 2017

I believe the injured boy was from Oakhill, but your thoughts and prays would be well received, irrespective of which school he attended. I am sure the Newington Rugby Community are equally concerned about his recovery. With his whole life ahead of him, we can only hope that Medical Science, Expert Surgery and Post-Operative Care will ensure a quick and full recovery.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I believe the injured boy was from Oakhill, but your thoughts and prays would be well received, irrespective of which school he attended. I am sure the Newington Rugby Community are equally concerned about his recovery. With his whole life ahead of him, we can only hope that Medical Science, Expert Surgery and Post-Operative Care will ensure a quick and full recovery.

He was from Newington B&W. According to an e-mail from the head, he's still in ICU.

Status
Not open for further replies.