• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
To be honest, I didn't ever really think about rowing. Shore have dominated over the years since 1985, and other schools have been subject to their wrath since then. I wonder what it is about the Shore rowing program that makes them so consistently strong. There are no scholarships or kids with gifted rowing talents that come to the school every year, yet they consistently manage to win national titles and produce Australian representative rowers. Perhaps their close proximity to the Sydney harbour has seen Poseiden give them godly powers.
Successful rowing programs require a large base of tall and fit Anglo saxon students with parents who are willing to invest time and money into rowing program supported by excellent coaches. Shore fits the bill on all three ie students parents and coaches.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No scholarships for sport at Shore. 0%. My son has been in that boat shed 5 years and he can guarantee you it doesn’t happen and hasn’t happened. Nor does it happen for any sport and the council is currently strongly against it in spite of some rugby parent agitation.
There are 42 scholarships only if which 100% are academic, music or leadership. If you know how the intake works (it’s purely a timing based queue) you will know that just isn’t the case.

Most schools have "leadership" scholarships.;)

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Most schools have "leadership" scholarships.;)

2hnxrq.jpg

keenas

Stan Wickham (3)
Most Grammar old boys will confirm that view of Mackerras.

I can also confirm that Grammar won the Intermediate Swimming at the GPS carnival this year, but almost everyone from Grammar had already left and the boys who had just swum in the All-Age Relay (last event) who were apparently the only ones still at the pool had to hastily run down and accept the trophy.

What a shame appears to be zero school spirit these days, certainly not what GPS schools were founded on, you only have to look at attendances of 1st XV matches these days which are pathetic with the exception of Joeys and TAS in my day(60's ) attendances were compulsory, unfortunately it appears to be a pattern of this as the years unfold

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What a shame appears to be zero school spirit these days, certainly not what GPS schools were founded on, you only have to look at attendances of 1st XV matches these days which are pathetic with the exception of Joeys and TAS in my day(60's ) attendances were compulsory, unfortunately it appears to be a pattern of this as the years unfold

Joeys have the largest boarding population and have the most rugby teams of any school, so you'd expect Joeys to have more spectators at GPS rugby games.

The simple fact is that the demographics of all GPS schools have changed - some more so than others. At Grammar (and High) for example, not only are most of the students and parents geared towards academic performance, but they come from cultures where the mixture of sport and academic isn't their experience. It's not that they aren't interested in rugby, just not really into the sporting side of school at all - sport is done only because Grammar make participation in a summer and a winter sport mandatory.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Joeys attendance is very high because it’s compulsory, not because that’s what boys choose to do on a Saturday afternoon. It may or may not reflect or create a greater school spirit. Whether other schools should also make attendance compulsory in an effort to at least present the appearance of greater school spirit is a matter that would no doubt divide opinion. That Joeys is one of the easier GPS schools to gain admission to suggests that many parents (and boys) don’t want that.

R

RuggerFan1

Attendances are fine at most schools. Scots, View and Shore both have pretty good crowds. Newingtons are quite disappointing, they literally had no one watching their ones at Bellevue hill.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No I mean Bellevue Hill, not one newington boy came and watched. It didn't even look like their seconds watched.

Hmm, this sounds like a serious exaggeration.

Bellvue Hill is the only away game that I didn't stay and watch the firsts and there were a reasonable number of Newington boys and parents who do the same most weeks.

The other 5 GPS schools all have upwards of 200 boarders who have to stay and watch the games while Newington have 50. Add to that the fact that all the age group teams play at Centennial Park, so it should come as no surprise that a convoy of cars don't decend on Bellevue Hill given that there's almost no parking there when they arrive.

NO seconds stayed? Really? Wonder where the reserves came from? In fact I think you'll find it's mandatory for the whole 2nds team to stay and watch the 1sts and then go to the after match function.

Status
Not open for further replies.