• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
PLEASE, NO MORE SINGLING OUT NEGATIVE ASPECTS OF PLAYERS.

As someone who spent all of the 2021 season on the sideline (and close to being thrown out) for such an offense, the mods do not like this at all.
The patience of the moderators is not infinite so please let this be the final word on the subject.
Be aware you may spend sometime in the sin-bin (or red carded) if you continue.

Joker
Skating on thin ice since 2014

Rudderless

Alex Ross (28)
Unless I missed something, the final score in SJ v TAS was 8-5. Both teams had one unconverted try apiece, SJ had a penalty goal. SJ scored a run-away try in the first half, with the score 5-0 at half time. Then in the second half TAS scored a try via pick and drive but failed to convert. TAS was attacking at full time; the game could have gone either way. In terms of standard, I think SJ had the better backs requiring ferocious tackling by TAS to stop SJ break-outs. TAS had the better of it in the forwards. Its big pack gave SJ all sorts of trouble. Overall, I thought that the SJ skill levels were a little higher, something that may reflect more games. Over recent years, TAS's pre-season experience has been less, with the team picking up as the season progresses.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that this game has determined the thirds premiership. That's on the basis of a feeling that that the other sides may struggle to beat either SJ or TAS.

In the seconds, TAS seconds playing a much lower level SJ team, was outclassed, unable to match SJ skill levels. It's a question of depth plus training. After the first half I thought that SJ would totally run away with the game, including a yellow carded TAS player, but the second half was much more contested. I wondered whether the TAS head was reffing.She is an international ref. She was pretty tough on both teams.
Jim

Was that a full strength TAS side ?

I was told Stirling Munsie, Fred Kearney and I think Eugene Campbell were to be in Sydney over the weekend after gaining selection in the Under 18's NSW Country squad.

Rippa

Peter Burge (5)
Speak respectfully about school kids
Ollie Cummins from Scot’s made an error today, no need to have a go at his character. He is a great kid who had a mind fart, we move on…. Opposition attacking where he comes from, not on. Not excusing what was said, however I don’t think bagging him on this forum is necessary at all….. grow up
Ollie has consistent brain farts ,that’s the problem

The Front Rower

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ollie has consistent brain farts ,that’s the problem
I was at the Joeys game. The tackle completely knocked the Joeys boy out. It was a 180 degrees spear tackle. It was the same grade as Karl Lawton two weeks ago in the NRL for Manly and he got 4 weeks. The GPS judiciary if their is such a thing needs to think very long and hard on this one as it could set dangerous precedents going forward. On a positive note both 1st XV and 2nds were great games to watch and allot of good talent. Joeys side Jorgos good and Darling at No8 went well Young Fittler super tackle. The Scots forwards have a good balance pack as to Joeys. The 2nds was an exciting game which Joeys lead and Scots had a great second half comeback thanks to no 11 young Bartlett who scored a solo try and setup a second and could have got a 2nd try himself. The Joeys 2nd were very well drilled and the backs attacked from all over the park. Lets hope these boys go onto biger and better things in the future. Should be a cracking GPS 2022 season cant wait.

News from Leichardt.

View 24, Marker 14 at halftime.

Rod Skellet tells me that Barker is missing at least 3 players that played Joeys. Hooper, Katoa and another forward. Segala who played 13 is playing 10. "Barker looks crap"

For those who have a paid subscription, game is on here. https://nswrugby.tv/
Just watched the replay of the game. It seemed to be an incredible game of high-intensity rugby (hence the scrappiness). After watching view play at the mud bath which is their 1st field a couple of weeks ago when I went to watch my son play they looked like they have got things together big time since then. If they can produce performances like that on a more consistent basis they are most definitely going to be GPS title contenders. Barker(who only seemed to be missing Katoa) were a bit shaky in the first half but got their act together in the 2nd and played some outstanding footy. It was a lot more entertaining than the Kings and Augs game that's for sure! Will probably go down as one of the games of the year.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Good memories. Who was there in 2010 when Joeys won the game and "adjusted" the fence?

10329265_694477323922309_6389371884551196375_n.jpg

Context.

In 2010 Kings had 8 Australian Schoolboys in their team. Joeys had 0. This game was to be the 250th for legendary conditioner Mr John Healy AM who had been a key ingredient in many premierships going back to 1981. No one gave Joeys a chance. The paper on Friday said Joeys were facing probably the biggest defeat to Kings in history. It was going to be ugly.

But....as is the Joeys way, it is not the size of the dog in the fight but the fight inside the cattle dog. Sparked by an incredible 60m solo try just before halftime (see video), Joeys fought back and with a late penalty 1 minute from time won 21-20.

The Joeys 1st XV (after shaking hands, tunneling and cheering the TKS team off) ran over to the eastern touchline. The crowd surged forward and the fence buckled under the pressure of 900+ boys. Everyone was ok, the fence was repaired but one palling went missing. It has since resurfaced inside a certain bar located at Hunters Hill. Check it out soon.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Good memories. Who was there in 2010 when Joeys won the game and "adjusted" the fence?

View attachment 13646

Context.

In 2010 Kings had 8 Australian Schoolboys in their team. Joeys had 0. This game was to be the 250th for legendary conditioner Mr John Healy AM who had been a key ingredient in many premierships going back to 1981. No one gave Joeys a chance. The paper on Friday said Joeys were facing probably the biggest defeat to Kings in history. It was going to be ugly.

But....as is the Joeys way, it is not the size of the dog in the fight but the fight inside the cattle dog. Sparked by an incredible 60m solo try just before halftime (see video), Joeys fought back and with a late penalty 1 minute from time won 21-20.

The Joeys 1st XV (after shaking hands, tunneling and cheering the TKS team off) ran over to the eastern touchline. The crowd surged forward and the fence buckled under the pressure of 900+ boys. Everyone was ok, the fence was repaired but one palling went missing. It has since resurfaced inside a certain bar located at Hunters Hill. Check it out soon.
Yes,2010 New fielded one of our Strongest 1st XV ever and we too beat that very talented Kings XV. Some months later, I was talking to a Kings Teacher. Although, talented Rugby Players, they as a player group, were unpleasant lot to coach. Full of themselves and really arrogant. Whereas, the Joeys and Newington Boys, had their feet firmly planted on the ground. Maybe not as talented, but a better attitude. We won the premiership and I still remember how pleasant and humble our boys were.They weren't just great players, they were excellent young gentlemen.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Yes,2010 New fielded one of our Strongest 1st XV ever and we too beat that very talented Kings XV. Some months later, I was talking to a Kings Teacher. Although, talented Rugby Players, they as a player group, were unpleasant lot to coach. Full of themselves and really arrogant. Whereas, the Joeys and Newington Boys, had their feet firmly planted on the ground. Maybe not as talented, but a better attitude. We won the premiership and I still remember how pleasant and humble our boys were.They weren't just great players, they were excellent young gentlemen.
Great teams beat teams of great individuals almost always.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Last Round of trials coming up this weekend. Then Round 1 of comp and then GPS team announced 19 June.

Following is my summary of players to keep an eye out for in the competition and for Rep selections. I have included their 2021 selections. I know this doesn't guarantee them selection but 2021 results is a good start! Please debate and suggest other names to watch out for. Post team lists for the schools if you have access to them.

Note, I haven't seen all teams play yet , SHORE being one of them. I hear they are good but have not seen a team list to compare to 2021 Merit selections. So Shore supporters, put forward some names we should watch out for.

1 Jack Barrett (J) GPS1
2 Bailey Park (K) NSW U16, Lipina Ata (N) NSW U16
3 Henry Basten (K) GPS2
4 Oliver McRae (S) GPS2
5 Archie Campbell (J) NSW U16
6 Richard Penisini (K) NSW U16
7 Jayden Viliamu (N) GPS2, Austin Burbridge (K) NSW U16
8 Tim Sekel (I) GPS2, Harry Darling (J) NSW U16
9 ?
10 Joey Fowler (J) NSW U16
11 Oscar Jorgenson (J) NSW U16
12 Tyrese Loheni (K) NSW U16, Jess McLean (N) NSW U16
13 Ronan Leahy (J) GPS2
14 Siteni Taukamo (N) GPS2
15 Max Jorgenson (J) Aus U20, Will Perkins (I) GPS1

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Last Round of trials coming up this weekend. Then Round 1 of comp and then GPS team announced 19 June.

Following is my summary of players to keep an eye out for in the competition and for Rep selections. I have included their 2021 selections. I know this doesn't guarantee them selection but 2021 results is a good start! Please debate and suggest other names to watch out for. Post team lists for the schools if you have access to them.

Note, I haven't seen all teams play yet , SHORE being one of them. I hear they are good but have not seen a team list to compare to 2021 Merit selections. So Shore supporters, put forward some names we should watch out for.

1 Jack Barrett (J) GPS1
3 Henry Basten (K) GPS2
4 Oliver McRae (S) GPS2
9 ?
13 Ronan Leahy (J) GPS2
Billy Dickens - Newington Number 9 (played 3 years in the first XV)

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Round 1 Report

It was a great opening round for the 3rd XV competition with some very close games.

Riverview 8 def Scots 7
I watched this one and it was a great game. Scots led 7-5 with a few minutes to go and Riverview scored a penalty goal right on full time. Scots conceded too many penalties in the second half and would be disappointed to lose. A great result for Riverview.

Kings 25 d Grammar 16
A really strong win to Kings on JS White Oval over the defending premiers. Kings are a real prospect this year and it was an excellent opening win. Grammar have some capable players but they will need to lift if they are to retain the Col Windon shield this year.

Shore 57 def High 0
As predicted it was an easy win to Shore against the High 1st XV who have already lost to TAS 50-0 as well. It could be a long season for them, while Shore continue to demonstrate that they will be one of the main contenders this year.

Joeys 8 def TAS 5
In what could prove to be one of the pivotal games of the competition, Joeys scored a close win against TAS in Armidale. One try each with only a penalty from Joeys separating the two teams. While Joeys will be very pleased to come away from Armidale with a victory, TAS will no doubt cause trouble for the other sides in this competition.

Next Week Round 2
Shore v Riverview
Joeys v High
Kings v TAS
Grammar v Scots

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)

1 Jack Barrett (J) GPS1
3 Henry Basten (K) GPS2
4 Oliver McRae (S) GPS2
9 ?
13 Ronan Leahy (J) GPS2
Ben Distaso from scots at the 1 or 3, definitely watch out for him. Ollie cummins at the 12 or 13 possibly.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
3rd XV Round 1 Report

It was a great opening round for the 3rd XV competition with some very close games.

Riverview 8 def Scots 7
I watched this one and it was a great game. Scots led 7-5 with a few minutes to go and Riverview scored a penalty goal right on full time. Scots conceded too many penalties in the second half and would be disappointed to lose. A great result for Riverview.

Kings 25 d Grammar 16
A really strong win to Kings on JS White Oval over the defending premiers. Kings are a real prospect this year and it was an excellent opening win. Grammar have some capable players but they will need to lift if they are to retain the Col Windon shield this year.

Shore 57 def High 0
As predicted it was an easy win to Shore against the High 1st XV who have already lost to TAS 50-0 as well. It could be a long season for them, while Shore continue to demonstrate that they will be one of the main contenders this year.

Joeys 8 def TAS 5
In what could prove to be one of the pivotal games of the competition, Joeys scored a close win against TAS in Armidale. One try each with only a penalty from Joeys separating the two teams. While Joeys will be very pleased to come away from Armidale with a victory, TAS will no doubt cause trouble for the other sides in this competition.

Next Week Round 2
Shore v Riverview
Joeys v High
Kings v TAS
Grammar v Scots
Apparently the last penalty which won view the game was for talking to the hooker while he was throwing the line out? I've never heard of this rule, has anyone ever seen it in game?

Scrumitsteve

Frank Row (1)

1 Jack Barrett (J) GPS1
3 Henry Basten (K) GPS2
4 Oliver McRae (S) GPS2
9 ?
13 Ronan Leahy (J) GPS2
Shore players to mainly watch out for in GPS selection: 15 Dougal Payne, 13 Thomas Klem, 12 Leo Bassingthwaighte, 1 Jackson Stiel, 2 Cameron Johns

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Apparently the last penalty which won view the game was for talking to the hooker while he was throwing the line out? I've never heard of this rule, has anyone ever seen it in game?
It is interesting that you say that @propsarespeedy - I could not understand that lineout penalty at the end and Scots were obviously confused as the captain questioned the referee. There was a fair bit of discussion before the penalty kick.

I know that a player is required to throw the ball without delay and cannot pretend to throw the ball, but neither of those rules appeared to have been broken. At the end of the day it is the referee's call, but it's fair to say that was a key decision that ultimately cost Scots the game.

Yes, 11 has been great this year as well as Ned Ritchens who is a utility back-rower and also the 9. I think all of these Shore boys have a very strong chance at being selected this year.
Leo Bassingfooty has been fantastic for shore this year, paired with Thomas Klem at outside and there centres are looking deadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.