• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I think your perception of Riverview rugby has been altered by your cerise-tinted glasses! ;)

6jljof.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Hey lads
Wanted to gain some opinions on if this first GPS round will shift possible GPS Rep team selections (considering the teams are announced the same night). Would assume only minor changes would occur? or would selectors place larger credit on performance in round games?
From my experience, the teams are almost 80% done by now. Some are a lock in. In the past this last game serves two purposes. 1. To confirm what they know and 2. To get a look at the outliers for the 1st team. When the selectors gather at Weigall Sports ground pavilion (that was where the meeting took place in my day) the teams will be usually finalized within two hours. The hardest part is this. Do we go with the best player in each position OR do we go with combinations? Plus there are now 4 teams to choose and shadow players.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
This would be my Updated GPS 1s Team
1. J. Barret (J)
2. C. Johns (E)
3. J. Stiel (E)
4. O. Mcrea (S)
5. A Campbell (J)
6. B. Di Staso (S)
7. J. Villamu (N)
8. T. Sekel (I)
9. H Sharples (J)
10. J. Fowler (J)
11. O. Jorgensen (J)
12. J. Cailoll
13. R. Leahy (J)
14. S. Taukamo (N)
15. M. Jorgensen (J)
I would replace Sharples with Billy Dickens. Other than that, very solid 1sts team

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
What is the origin of the wolf on the crest? Are you able to enlighten us?

View attachment 13821
St. Ignatius was a member of the Loyola family in Spain. The Loyola family crest featured two wolves on each side of a large pot, which has since become commonplace in Jesuit iconography. It is supposed to represent the generosity of the Loyola family who set aside food for everyone, including the wolves, to eat. It now represents a call to be generous, as is echoed in the first line of the prayer of Saint Ignatius: "Dearest Lord, teach me to be generous."

crazy schoolboy

Peter Burge (5)
Hey lads
Wanted to gain some opinions on if this first GPS round will shift possible GPS Rep team selections (considering the teams are announced the same night). Would assume only minor changes would occur? or would selectors place larger credit on performance in round games?
Hey mate,

I think depending on how the selectors see things the teams are mostly picked by now, the front row would be already picked as it is a easy guess. I think Di Staso at 6 is a lock in and Henry James at 10 also, Dugil Paine shore 15 looks to be a lock in at the back for GPS 1's as well with Max and Oscar Jorgo on the edges.

TheMedow

Banned
Hey mate,

I think depending on how the selectors see things the teams are mostly picked by now, the front row would be already picked as it is a easy guess. I think Di Staso at 6 is a lock in and Henry James at 10 also, Dugil Paine shore 15 looks to be a lock in at the back for GPS 1's as well with Max and Oscar Jorgo on the edges.
As much as I would love to see Dougal* Payne in the GPS 1st XV, I think max Jorgensen has definitely solidified that spot and I can’t imagine the selectors will put him on the wing, however that would be a deadly combination to have in the team.

No. 10 will be a funny selection. There is definitely many people up for contention based on personal opinion. Joeys 10 fowler is good, but he is upgraded because of Jorgensen outside him, and he cannot tackle or defend at all. The Scots 10 (known as the GENERAL) has a good kicking game but not as smart. Other names thrown around are Ben Dufficy and Riverview 10.
I heard that Henry James guy thought a 50/22 was a perk on Call of Duty.

Simon Sniffcock

Frank Row (1)
No. 10 will be a funny selection. There is definitely many people up for contention based on personal opinion. Joeys 10 fowler is good, but he is upgraded because of Jorgensen outside him, and he cannot tackle or defend at all. The Scots 10 (known as the GENERAL) has a good kicking game but not as smart. Other names thrown around are Ben Dufficy and Riverview 10.
Hundred percent, will be Kings or Scots 10

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
What are everyone's thoughts on the 3rd XV fixtures this weekend? Some good games coming up if you ask me.
What will be interesting is that Joeys have played four non GPS teams in the trials, all of them higher grades and then TAS 1st XV and High 1st XV. The High game really was only one half of thirds players and then mass changes for the second half. It will be interesting to see how they go against a LIKE for LIKE opposition. I will be at Northbridge to discover more....plus enjoy the pies. Best in the GPS.

18-Best-Meat-Pies-in-Melbourne-Meat-Pie.jpg

The Front Rower

Sydney Middleton (9)
Easts sent a team to state champs in the 14's, they looked quite good and played some good footy but were overpowered by top sides like Gordon and Eastwood. I saw there game against Warringah which ended 5-5 which was a great game. I also saw there day one game against Norths which ended with Norths getting the win at the buzzer. That Easts team has a lot of Scots+Brook boys plus some country boys and other schools in the mix.
Unfortunately because the schools rugby season is so short in essence the kids are "forced" to play club rugby. The school season is only 10 games which at 16/17/18 just doesn't stack up. If the kids fall ill etc then its as low as 8 or 9 games which could be another reason why players aren't being developed right through from school-Colts-Grade-Super rugby- National level. I watched on NSW Rugby TV allot of the State champs both Finnlay from Norths and the No 8 Sam Niuli were absolute wrecking balls and scored probably 50/60% of Norths tries and their defence was stand outs. The Randwick boys played really well and deserved to win the GF they were very well coached and good structure they had a good mix of Newington, Wavs etc.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Fowlers defence is rock solid, he made high rep teams including Gen Blue before he ever played in a team with Max….perhaps you haven’t seen him play.

Last edited:

riverview 2024 prems

Frank Row (1)
I think it's very good that Scots still allow him and others to play club footy even when in 1's and 2's in year 10
My son plays in the 16s at view and has played this kid since year 7. He is an absolute BEAST. Must have been about 80 kg when he was 13. Good to see that he has been doing well and will be interesting to if he is allowed to play for GPS as he is signed with the Manly Sea Eagles.

riverview 2024 prems

Frank Row (1)
GPS 1s Prediction

1. Barret (J)
2. Grover (I)
3. Steil (E)
4. Mackey (I)
5. Campbell (J)
6. Di Stato (S)
7. Noble (I)
8. Seckel (I)
9. Dickens (N) or Lamming (I)
10. Dillon (I)
11. Jorgenson (J)
12 Bassingscegs (E)
13 Cailol (I)
14 Perkins (I)
15 Jorgenson (CAPTAIN) (J)

Honourable mentions

Mcrea (S)
Vilimanu (N)
Fowler (J)
Grover (I)
Threlkeld (I)
Pennisini (K)
Park (K)

Last edited:

riverview 2024 prems

Frank Row (1)
GPS 1s Prediction

1. Barret (J)
2. Grover (I)
3. Steil (E)
4. Mackey (I)
5. Campbell (J)
6. Di Stato (S)
7. Noble (I)
8. Seckel (I)
9. Dickens (N) or Lamming (I)
10. Dillon (I)
11. Jorgenson (J)
12 Bassingscegs (E)
13 Cailol (I)
14 Perkins (I)
15 Jorgenson (CAPTAIN) (J)

Honourable mentions

Mcrea (S)
Vilimanu (N)
Fowler (J)
Grover (I)
Threlkeld (I)
Vecchio (I)
Pennisini (K)
Park (K)
Might be a little biased towards VIEW. LOL

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Might be a little biased towards VIEW. LOL
I agree with your 7 pick...Noble. He was a standout in the Bush damper v Genoise Sponge Cake game.
While small is stature, his work rate was impressive. He may fall victim to the selectors who go with size matters edict.
In 2021, they shocked everyone with going for a small pack though. The Joeys front row had a field day with the CAS pack.
Lets hope Noble gets a look in

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
You obviously have not watched many games if you think the Joeys 10 can't tackle. Lets see what the selectors think. And I don't think you are one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.