• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I doubt he’ll being playing 1st or 2nd’s this year because of his age and the position that he plays.
As I understand it GPS rules don't allow front rowers to play up an age group. That is why Barrett at Joeys played flanker in the seconds a few years back when he was in year 10 and moved to the front row when he was in 11.

BRYDNLM_0184

Frank Nicholson (4)
As I understand it GPS rules don't allow front rowers to play up an age group. That is why Barrett at Joeys played flanker in the seconds a few years back when he was in year 10 and moved to the front row when he was in 11.
Shore and Riverview second xv hooker were both in year 10 in 2022

JackJill

Chris McKivat (8)

The Shore vs Joeys game this year if any would like to watch.

Also, does anyone know why Joeys no. 7 didn't shake any Shore boys hands at the start?

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
This was spoken about almost too much at the time. Don't know why he didnt. He should have, but there were people almost wanting punishment for it.

My guess would be: Boys temporary ego and something nothing more than "we don't carry on like that" wouldn't fix.

Before this Forum heats up as we move closer to the pre season...best of luck tomorrow to all those Rugby boys who have chosen Rowing as their summer sport.

First race for 2023.

Live

Did I see View blitzed this Regatta? Hopefully not doing an Irish Rugby and peaking early.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This was spoken about almost too much at the time. Don't know why he didnt. He should have, but there were people almost wanting punishment for it.

My guess would be: Boys temporary ego and something nothing more than "we don't carry on like that" wouldn't fix.

Did I see View blitzed this Regatta? Hopefully not doing an Irish Rugby and peaking early.
The Ghost of Raelene - bringing calmness and sobriety to the GPS forum as always :)

Dustyy

Peter Burge (5)
The boys said the coach had a harsh word in front of the rest of the team a week or so after this and in all the following matches he was enthusiastically shaking the hands of anyone he could find before kick off! Good player though. Joeys will be happy he is back this year.
Lots of talk about other times this year. How is joeys looking without Jorgensen and the rest of last years yr12?

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Lots of talk about other times this year. How is joeys looking without Jorgensen and the rest of last years yr12?
Time will tell, there are quite a few players back and I am hearing there will be a number of surprise packets emerge after very big off season training campaigns. Scots should be the team to beat over the next few years, particularly given they have poached one of the Joeys co-coaches. As they say at Scots, if you can’t beat them, buy them .

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I have a feeling about Kings being strong next season. Few very good players back and their 2nds were quite strong with a number of year 11s. If their forwards can get the backs ball then I think they can score plenty.

Dustyy

Peter Burge (5)
Time will tell, there are quite a few players back and I am hearing there will be a number of surprise packets emerge after very big off season training campaigns. Scots should be the team to beat over the next few years, particularly given they have poached one of the Joeys co-coaches. As they say at Scots, if you can’t beat them, buy them .
Still have to have the right players- there was some views that Scot’s had a chance last year - they had a large pack that were immobile slow and ultimately outplayed by every team I watched them play and rather ineffective backline. I still think coaches have to control the egos as well as coach.

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)

Kings definitely will have the best depth across all the schools when you look at the caliber of returning players from last years 1sts to 3rds as well as a very good 16A’s. That helps hugely in a two round comp.

Scots have the best cohort of Yr 11 talent in the GPS and could do good things this year (definitely favourites next year regardless) with some fantastic individual players to work with around some returning talent. Round 1 vs Joeys at Bellevue Hill will be enormous.

Joeys will have 13 players returning across 1sts and 2nds from last year. Of course players like Max Jorgensen, Fowler, Barrett and Leahy are irreplaceable so they will rely on being relentless as opposed to ‘brilliant’.

Oscar Jorgensen, Hwi Sharples, Caleb Murphy and Pat Broe all returning give this years backline a great base of 1st XV experience to build around.

They will always have very fit and usually smaller forwards, but this year they will have an unusually big and athletic group of second row and backrowers at their disposal

Joeys will likely have most of the team coming year 12, and given 160 out of 200 year 12 boys being boarders, it creates a different type of advantage from a training, team spirit and cohesion perspective most other schools don’t get to experience.

Bob Peters

Frank Nicholson (4)
Joeys will likely have most of the team coming year 12, and given 160 out of 200 year 12 boys being boarders, it creates a different type of advantage from a training, team spirit and cohesion perspective most other schools don’t get to experience.

Thanks for a good synopsis Cockatoo Run. At the end of last season I know a lot of Joeys supporters were worried about how good this years team will be after all the success from last year. They will still have a very, very good team but depth will be an issue should injuries arise. Except for losing a second rower just before round 1 and, at times, having injured wingers - they were fortunate to be injury free for all the GPS games last year. Have to be very lucky to go 10 rounds with the same good fortune.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Hi All

Long time reader, first time poster.
As an old timer, I enjoyed the "winner takes all" "each game is a grand final" type of games that the single round comp had. It created a different atmosphere as it was do or die and everyone knew it. I am interested to see how the home/away comp goes. Depth will be important but so will be tactics and coaching. Obviously it gives teams a second chance in a return game but coaches will have to step up.
Heard Riverview are building a solid base for a tilt at the title next year. Don't know if they have the talent overall this year.
Kings, Joeys favourites while Scots and Newington could pull upsets on their day. View and Shore will struggle.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Interesting to Mr. Jones expressing his desire to have a few rugby league boys back playing union. ie Joseph and Cameron. Though both contracted for the next few years and Cameron being a Captain, could make a few other union boys think twice before making the jump to the dark side. As mentioned in various posts, union offers a wider and different experience to league. Let's hope the Wallabies perform well at the WC to inspire the young ones to continue to play union.

Status
Not open for further replies.