• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)
Promising signs around the 16's competition this year overall. Some highlight players to mention Henry Gardiner (Joeys) promising outside back with great skill and pace, Taj Scar (Riverview) Hard carrying back solid key for view this season, Connor Durbidge and Duke Millward (Kings) backbone of kings team and back row- consistent every week. Tully Robertson (Shore) and Liam Sidwell (Shore) both assets for Shore opens next year, both in key positions and many rep rugby accomplishments.
With all this talk surrounding Wendt, surprised Sidwell isnt getting mentioned in the 1sts/2nds talk. They have a good depth of second rowers may be the reason though.

bimboo30000

Frank Row (1)
With all this talk surrounding Wendt, surprised Sidwell isnt getting mentioned in the 1sts/2nds talk. They have a good depth of second rowers may be the reason though.
Completely agree, Sidwell and Robertson along with many other players in the 16's comp purely just had too much depth infront of them as to why they are playing in the 16's. Will be great to see them around in the next few years!

Rookie21

Larry Dwyer (12)
Anyway, back to something important- when is each school's "Back to -" day, I know the Scots one isn't confirmed yet, when is other school's? This day is always a big day and certainly can have a massive impact on the home team when there are hundreds or thousands of old boys returning and cheering on the teams.
Shore Old Boys day is against Joeys on the 10th of August

The Cleaner

Herbert Moran (7)
The issue with Scots Rugby at the moment is they are playing rugby league in a rugby union game against sides who play union very well. At the end of the day, names on the team sheets don't matter if tactically not there. On the weekend, Joeys slowed down the game, and controlled the tempo and Scots with their league approach were no match. This week will be very interesting to see both team selections and how they bounce back against View at home.
I concur

UpnUnder

Larry Dwyer (12)
The issue with Scots Rugby at the moment is they are playing rugby league in a rugby union game against sides who play union very well. At the end of the day, names on the team sheets don't matter if tactically not there. On the weekend, Joeys slowed down the game, and controlled the tempo and Scots with their league approach were no match. This week will be very interesting to see both team selections and how they bounce back against View at home.
I think the issue was quite the opposite. Joeys sped the game up and Scots was gassed by half time. The issue is fitness and desire and you probably can’t fix that by moving deck chairs around.

The Cleaner

Herbert Moran (7)
A great prospect Indeed. Are you 100% sure he is in year 10 because remember that he was playing 16as (a year above) and was in year 10 at Oakhill in 2023.
Hasani Bloomfield repeating 10 at Kings. He is turning 16 this year . Same age as Talen, Duke, Hamish, Durbidge, Toby etc

The Cleaner

Herbert Moran (7)
My review of Year 10 student (Class of 2026) Players that have been playing in the 1st XV this season

Kings- 2026 is definitely going to be there year.
Talen Risati- Has fit right in to the fullback position and has been one of kings best players this season. He is great on his feet and is an outstanding kicker. I was at the Scots vs Kings game in round 1 and it was heart breaking to see him miss the kick to win it. It must be hard being a 16 year old and having 2000 people watching you kick a goal from the sideline with a whole school screaming at you. He will get used to the pressure and will be one of the top prospects in the next few years.

Hasani Bloomfield - Been an outstanding addition to this Kings side and is a great prop. From my view he is a dominant scrummager and a very good ball carrier.

Toby Davies- Looks to be a great 7 and is very good over the ball. Did well against Scots tackling the big fellas. What worries me is his size and ability to do what a traditional #7 would do and believe kings is lacking that. With a Cleverly or Le maitre or even Dempsey Kings could be a top side.

Scots -
They seem to only have Ashton Large who has had a chance in the opens. Would love to see him come into the backline if scot’s continue to struggle and it is going to be good see him and his brother be in the same team next year!

Riverview
Isaac Perkins
- Watched him through the trial period and it seemed like he struggled to get involved. Haven’t seen him during GPS season yet so unsure of his whereabouts. Would like to hear if he’s injured or if he got dropped.

Shore -
Nick Wendt - Heard rumours that he was playing on the wing for the 1sts this year but haven’t seen him yet. Saw someone on the forum write a few weeks ago that he has a wrist injury. If anyone knows anything on his expected return I would love to know!

Newington
iliyaz Viliamu and Isiah Sheck -
Both outstanding props and this age group seems to have a strength in props with these 2 and Hasani. It’s not often we see 16 year old props in the opens let alone 3. Isiah has been coming of the bench for the past few weeks and has been making an impact. Saw on Streamer that Iliyaz hurt himself in a scrum vs Kings so unsure of his expected return but he was looking promising.
I would add Jarryd King to this list from Newington. I think he is playing U16 at the moment. Guarantee he will be 1st XV next year for Newington. I believe he has committed to Rugby Union and has signed with the Waratahs. He played his final rugby league game last year with CIS together with Risati.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I saw someone succinctly explain the rise of Shore rugby in recent years. Conversely can someone please explain Newington’s ‘decline’? They are currently advertising for a Director of Rugby too. No specific mention however of coaching both boys and girls.

runningrugbyrules

Ted Fahey (11)
I saw someone succinctly explain the rise of Shore rugby in recent years. Conversely can someone please explain Newington’s ‘decline’? They are currently advertising for a Director of Rugby too. No specific mention however of coaching both boys and girls.
I still need reexplaining this apparent “rise” of Shore Rugby having won 2 out of 10 games last year (and a draw against Joeys missing 5-6 players injured, then round two upon their return were belted 38-17). This year they have won one game against a weak rebuilding Kings team by one try.

If Shore go on to win a 5-6 more games this year good on them, and I’ll be the first to congratulate them and the program. But all of this self described dribble of Rise of Shore is text book unproven Delusions of Grandeur at its finest.

Myself I doubt they’ll be competitive particularly in a 10 game comp when depth is king and Shore are lacking with a weak 2nd XV. Who besides three easy victories against Newington who have won one game in 4 years now. Shores only comp victory the past two years was one against Scots.

Happy to be proven wrong with results on the field but I can’t see them in the top half’s of the table this year, 4th at best.

As for Newington’s program having half of the team play NRL Harold Matt’s/SG Ball surely can’t help team off season training, preparation and even bonding for a GPS season in particularly for defensive lines and backs positioning. As people have stated both New and Scots have looked like individuals trying to win a game rather than a cohesive unit with a plan like joeys on Saturday. Both Scots & New will probably get stronger by round 2.

Last edited:

The Cleaner

Herbert Moran (7)
I still need reexplaining this apparent “rise” of Shore Rugby having won 2 out of 10 games last year (and a draw against Joeys missing 5-6 players injured, then round two upon their return were belted 38-17). This year they have won one game against a weak rebuilding Kings team by one try.

If Shore go on to win a 5-6 more games this year good on them, and I’ll be the first to congratulate them and the program. But all of this self described dribble of Rise of Shore is text book unproven Delusions of Grandeur at its finest.

Myself I doubt they’ll be competitive particularly in a 10 game comp when depth is king and Shore are lacking with a weak 2nd XV. Who besides three easy victories against Newington who have won one game in 4 years now. Shores only comp victory the past two years was one against Scots.

Happy to be proven wrong with results on the field but I can’t see them in the top half’s of the table this year, 4th at best.

As for Newington’s program having half of the team play NRL Harold Matt’s/SG Ball surely can’t help team off season training, preparation and even bonding for a GPS season in particularly for defensive lines and backs positioning. As people have stated both New and Scots have looked like individuals trying to win a game rather than a cohesive unit with a plan like joeys on Saturday. Both Scots & New will probably get stronger by round 2.
IMG_6153.jpeg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think most people have noticed the seeming lack of direction Newington Rugby has when on the field. They just go out and play which doesn't cut it in the senior ages. Even more so in a double round competition.

Besides a very successful 2010-2015 period for the 1st XV Newington are a middle of the pack side and I don't mean that disrespectfully. Before that period it's a 2nds premiership in 1993 and a 1st XV premiership in 1979. We probably judge them to an unachievable standard.

Newington has resources so a new DoR might push it further than current. The introduction of girls won't impact Rugby negatively IMO. Hopefully it increases if they have a Girls XV and 7s program. The concern is depth which may be caused by big demographic shifts. They aren't alone in this as it seems Kings have this popping up looking at lower grade age results. I do think the boarding community at Kings holds up the depth though.

RushingRob

Ward Prentice (10)
Can you elaborate on what a "league approach" is?

Morgan Freeman

Stan Wickham (3)

When you have 6 years without a 1st XV Competition win, hope becomes inevitable with somewhat decent results. Are they overshooting it? Sure. Have they had a big rise from the depths of losing every game by 50 points? Absolutely.