• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Well I finally reached 50. To my great enjoyment I find that the player rank I now am is Greg Davis.

Davis was a single-minded man who gave no quarter and asked for none. Whereas the great Col ‘Breeze’ Windon was all style, Davis was all effort. He was the supreme flanker. As a captain Davis was never overly voluble. He led from the front with a complete disregard for his own body. His complete commitment to everything he did on the field simply rubbed off on his teammates. He is considered the greatest of Dirty Reds. A grandstand at Drummoyne Oval is named in his honor. Small fact. When the stand was opened at the function attended by Wallaby royalty, a group of five Springbok players dressed in their immaculate blazers and tie came as well. This was not expected and was a great surprise. They heard of this event and came as they were playing the Wallabies that weekend. To the South Africans Davis is considered one of the finest players they ever faced. They presented his family with a signed jersey by the final Boks team he played.

Greg though tragically died at 39 of a brain tumor. Every Dirty Red aspires to the example he set.

912C5406-7CA4-4187-975C-0E12F15B2186.jpeg

Last edited:

GPSlads

Chris McKivat (8)
I'll give you the hot tip... No school cares about soccer and it doesn't matter who wins it. I remember when Kings made it compulsory to watch the 1sts soccer one year... and everyone went to watch the 3rds rugby instead. It does not matter.

Joeys don't have a smaller talent pool than the other schools because unless you're playing A's soccer at a GPS school, you're only enrolled in the sport to tick that box. So every school has a talent pool of 11 players, and it essentially comes down to how many "europeans" you have in any given year group.

The GPS should only allow 1 or 2 soccer teams in any given age group. The GPS has a rich rugby culture, and all GPS schools should prioritise maintaining that rich history.
lol bs … so out of touch,

go talk to trinity, Newington, Scot’s or grammar about it …

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If posters wish to rabbit on about AFL, create an AFL thread and leave this crap out of rugby fora. Future blatherings about cross country volleyball on rugby threads will be deleted.

You have been warned.
And this goes for soccer as well. There's a Women's World Cup 2023 thread over in Everything Else, put a soccer thread up over to join the cricket and rowing threads. Future blatherings about cross country volleyball soccer on rugby threads will be deleted.

Stagnation

Allen Oxlade (6)
lot of talk about Scots. Obviously they will be the team to beat, but can really see View having a good crack next year, similar to this year. Joeys will be up there as always. Shore, despite having quite a few boys back next year won't be in contention. Kings only have I think 3 or 4 boys coming back from both 1s and 2s so can't see them doing too well.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
This has to be one of the worst takes you have had on this forum LOL.
No I agree with him, rugby has a much longer and richer tradition than soccer and attracts much greater interest whilst also being much higher quality, not great when you see kids trading rugby for soccer in the GPS in what’s also a traditionally strong rugby city and state

Stagnation

Allen Oxlade (6)
2024 Riverview 1st XV predicted lineup

1. Angus Phillips
2. Will Hodge/Daniel Osbourne
3. Conor Dempsey
4. Ambrose Hennesey
5. Phoenix Graham
6. Daniel Sunders
7. Henri Dempsey
8. Campbell Conna
9. Ed Carter
10. Angus Grover
11. Jeremy Newton
12. Sam Terry
13. Tom Hartman
14. Brody Folkes
15. Max Mason

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
So you think since Rugby has a much richer tradition, we should limit soccer to only two teams? LMAO. It's literally the most one-sided argument I've heard.

"not great when you see kids trading rugby for soccer in the GPS" Oh you're so right, god forbid school kids should have the choice to play whatever sport they prefer. For the record, you could very much argue that soccer has had a larger presence in Australia in recent years. I don't think you would appreciate soccer mums using the same logic that your using.

This sounds like a job for Lindommer

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Schoolboys soccer thread set up over on Everything Else. Those who need to post on that game can do so over there, NOT on any rugby thread.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
@Ballscollector I hope you don't mind me listing your predicted Shore team here that you listed in the GPS '23 thread a while back. Thought it might be good to keep an eye on this list and see how close you get. :)

1. Ed Cowdery/Charlie Armati (16As)
2. James Warner (1sts)
3. Felix Harvison (3rds)
4. Ed Baxter (1sts)
5. Charlie Galligan (16As)
6. Angus Reardon (2nds)
7. Marshall Le Maitre (1sts)
8. Ethan Hamilton (2nds)
9. Jack Binnie (2nds)
10. Alex Segeart (2nds)
11. Preston Scott (2nds)
12. Henry Conick (1sts)
13. Charlie Francis (16As)
14. Ollie Mackellar (1sts)
15. Lewis Kingdom (2nds)

Had to consult many team lists to pull out all of these names but this is my best shot at a full XV, obviously other boys who could make it and some players moving positions (14 and 13 swapping possibly). Happy to discuss the team with anyone and most likely have forgotten some deserving boys.
Edit: Did not realise 2nds number 8 was in year 11, he will most definitely be in the 1st XV come next year.
Shore will have some hot talent in the 2nd's this year, the likes of Hugh Breakwell (10, 15; 3rd's and 2nd's in 2023), Dan Ritchie (10; 16A's), Oliver Greig (9; 16A's) and Bede Clout (8; 16A's) would also have to be in the discussion.

runningrugbyrules

Chris McKivat (8)
Well I finally reached 50. To my great enjoyment I find that the player rank I now am is Greg Davis.

Davis was a single-minded man who gave no quarter and asked for none. Whereas the great Col ‘Breeze’ Windon was all style, Davis was all effort. He was the supreme flanker. As a captain Davis was never overly voluble. He led from the front with a complete disregard for his own body. His complete commitment to everything he did on the field simply rubbed off on his teammates. He is considered the greatest of Dirty Reds. A grandstand at Drummoyne Oval is named in his honor. Small fact. When the stand was opened at the function attended by Wallaby royalty, a group of five Springbok players dressed in their immaculate blazers and tie came as well. This was not expected and was a great surprise. They heard of this event and came as they were playing the Wallabies that weekend. To the South Africans Davis is considered one of the finest players they ever faced. They presented his family with a signed jersey by the final Boks team he played.

Greg though tragically died at 39 of a brain tumor. Every Dirty Red aspires to the example he set.

View attachment 17250
Davis was my old man’s Wallaby skipper, rated him the best captain he had union or league. His only mistake was he was actually a Kiwi. All Wallaby captains can’t be perfect, even John Eales. I thought he was perfect until I found out he sent his son to Riverview.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
2024 ladder
1. Riverview
2. Shore
3. Joeys
4.Newington
5. Kings
6. Scots
Interesting prediction.
The standout team from this year in 5th and Scots in 6th (the only team to prevent their unbeaten season).
If you are right it demonstrates a healthy GPS competition where teams are close and there is no long term dominance by any school.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
People should give more cedit to Shore for persisting with rugby . After a decade of unfavourable results, they have stuck with the game and are going on to to next year as favorites to win the comp.