• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Galloping Green

As depth will be important when long term injuries hit during the year how did the Shore 2nds go today after their win last week.
If I was a Shore supporter I wouldn't get too excited about their narrow win over Scots. The game was played in an absolute bog and all Shore did all day was punch it up in the forwards and adopt the same sort of boring rugby that the Waraths play - one out running (albeit tactics worked in the conditions). The two tries they scored were from driving mauls 5 metres out from the line. Shore had nothing in the backline. In fact I can't recall the outside backs touching the ball once. Their wingers would have caught pneumonia. Should also be remembered Scots had not only one but 2 players yellow carded - Kellaway and Frost. Also a big call to say the Shore 5/8 shaded Horwitz ??? As for the 2nds think Shore were seriously outplayed and the score flattered them. On a dry paddock Shore won't be a match for the might of any team that wants to spread the ball and play attacking football.

From watcing each of Joeys, Scots, Shore and Newington I would have my money on Newington, followed by Scots, Joeys and Shore way back, i.e. unless it keeps raining. Yet to see what firepower Kings and View have. Given Scots depth down through to their 4ths think I would have my money on their 2nd's winning the premiership.

northman91

Frank Nicholson (4)
If I was a Shore supporter I wouldn't get too excited about their narrow win over Scots. The game was played in an absolute bog and all Shore did all day was punch it up in the forwards and adopt the same sort of boring rugby that the Waraths play - one out running (albeit tactics worked in the conditions). The two tries they scored were from driving mauls 5 metres out from the line. Shore had nothing in the backline. In fact I can't recall the outside backs touching the ball once. Their wingers would have caught pneumonia. Should also be remembered Scots had not only one but 2 players yellow carded - Kellaway and Frost. Also a big call to say the Shore 5/8 shaded Horwitz ??? As for the 2nds think Shore were seriously outplayed and the score flattered them. On a dry paddock Shore won't be a match for the might of any team that wants to spread the ball and play attacking football.

From watcing each of Joeys, Scots, Shore and Newington I would have my money on Newington, followed by Scots, Joeys and Shore way back, i.e. unless it keeps raining. Yet to see what firepower Kings and View have. Given Scots depth down through to their 4ths think I would have my money on their 2nd's winning the premiership.

I'm pretty sure every team across Sydney on the weekend would have been advised to punch it up in the forwards and play boring rugby. Can't see many outside backs from any games on the weekend playing a big role. Clearly it was a close game and could have gone either way but full credit to Shore for playing smart rugby and keeping in the forwards.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
. The two tries they scored were from driving mauls 5 metres out from the line. Shore had nothing in the backline. In fact I can't recall the outside backs touching the ball once. As for the 2nds think Shore were seriously outplayed and the score flattered them.

Shore's second try was scored by number 15 Steane Davies off a backline move.

However, I would agree with you that within the 2nds Shore never looked like they were in the game. Was a poor performance and Scots clearly were the dominant side.

G

Galloping Green

I'm pretty sure every team across Sydney on the weekend would have been advised to punch it up in the forwards and play boring rugby. Can't see many outside backs from any games on the weekend playing a big role. Clearly it was a close game and could have gone either way but full credit to Shore for playing smart rugby and keeping in the forwards.

Obviously a Sydney Uni supporter.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)

Smart Rugby or Winning Rugby?

If you want to win Tests in the wet, the Poms have showed us that keeping it in the piggies is the way to go.

While there are bragging rights at stake, the competition hasn't started yet, so wouldn't it have been "smarter" rugby to try to see if your team had the skills to execute a slightly more expansive game plan in the wet.

I

International Badboy

Prediction for GPS 1 Team
1. Robertson (J)
2. Vea (N)
3. Pryor-Lees (N)
4. Rorke (I)
5. O' Donahue (J)
6. Dempsey (I)
7. Murphy, Goldie (J), Randle (K)
8. Whitely (I)
9. Pulver (E)
10. Horwitz (S)
11. Foketi (K)
12. Stewart (S), Moeroa (N), Kay (J)
13. Barclay(J), Milne (N),
14. Wilde (J)
15. Kellaway (S)

Haven't seen shore play so lack of spots in my predicted team, also halfback will be hotly contested and Centres aswell with lots of combinations on offer

G

Grammar2012

1. Robertson (J)
2. Vea (N)
3. Pryor-Lees (N)
4. Rorke (I)
5. O' Donahue (J)
6. Dempsey (I)
8. Whitely (I)
9. Pulver (E)
10. Horwitz (S)
11. Foketi (K)
14. Wilde (J)
15. Kellaway (S)

Haven't seen shore play so lack of spots in my predicted team, also halfback will be hotly contested and Centres aswell with lots of combinations on offer

After attending the Newington V Joeys game I don't see all the hype about this Pryor-Lees guy, he seemed lethargic and uninterested the majority of the time. Whilst i recognise his impressive ability to clean 60kgs in the Newington rowing video, perhaps there is a better option? Additionaly, based on talk of Dempsey's form in the View v Kings game perhaps another option should be considered as you have made it seem there is no other option above. Pennisi (J) demonstrated outstanding ability especially in his ball security and i think this could get him a spot in GPS 1s. However i agree strongly with the choices of (4) (8) and (15) who have all shown the skill and presence of mind to play at this level. Perhaps the Kings backline should be examined more closely as they have adapted well to the 1sts competition and are displaying a level of competence beyond their years.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
CTPE - Outstanding post # 1002 about the trials to date.

Lee Grant - What would you GPS team be from the 4 games youve seen so far ?

Sorry, I have just seen this, but I must have misspoken as I have seen only 3 games and not watched Kings or Shore yet - not to mention Grammar or High who could have some good individuals.

Badboy's team won't be too far of the mark and Grammar2012 made some astute remarks.

In the forwards the contest for the 7 spot will be willing and I wonder how the selectors will view OPL as a new prop. We will see soon. I haven't seen 6. Dempsey in the trials but going by last year he should be a shoo-in.

In the backs there will be some good centres who miss out on the Ones - and that could include the 2 Joeys lads even though Barclay made the NSW IIs in 2011. But it will be a brave selector who omits 12. Stewart, who played for Oz Schools Ones last year. Badboy could be right about midfielder Foketi - put him on the wing to give him a Ones spot. He will probably be wasted there, but he is a versatile player and not slow.

Don't know about the 9. Pulver as I haven't seen Shore in 2012, but I will be surprised if he is preferred to Curtin or Lussick.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
After attending the Newington V Joeys game I don't see all the hype about this Pryor-Lees guy, he seemed lethargic and uninterested the majority of the time. Whilst i recognise his impressive ability to clean 60kgs in the Newington rowing video, perhaps there is a better option? Additionaly, based on talk of Dempsey's form in the View v Kings game perhaps another option should be considered as you have made it seem there is no other option above. Pennisi (J) demonstrated outstanding ability especially in his ball security and i think this could get him a spot in GPS 1s. However i agree strongly with the choices of (4) (8) and (15) who have all shown the skill and presence of mind to play at this level. Perhaps the Kings backline should be examined more closely as they have adapted well to the 1sts competition and are displaying a level of competence beyond their years.

You make some excellent points however in Dempsey's defence, he is only one game back from injury... Give him at least another game before you count him out of your GPS 1's team. He isn't a favourite player of the esteemed Lee Grant for no reason...

Waratard

Stan Wickham (3)

Nonsense about Dempsey, against kings he was in better form then rorke 4, and even then, you can't base a judgement on one game back from injury in the weather conditions that they played in. Dempsey has great aggression in ball running in particular, but I saw 2 pilfers last Saturday aswell. I'd take him in GPS 1sts easily I can't think of another 6 who would be a better choice.

I

International Badboy

My Bad supporter.

Lee interested to hear your opinion on the 7 jersey, also I picked Pulver based on the fact that he has had excellent raps coming out of the 7s tournament and apparently was brilliant in driving the shore forwards around the park on the weekend. Also I think he may be the only Year 12 half and that maturity and experience could show at such a crucial role
I left Curtin out because he was playing 2s this week behind Makasini but he is coming back from injury so it will be interesting.

Also I heard the team is picked on the 13th of June (9 Days away) does that mean the selectors will see no more games?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
1. Robertson (J)
2. Vea (N)
3. Pryor-Lees (N)
4. Rorke (I)
5. O' Donahue (J)
6. Dempsey (I)
8. Whitely (I)
9. Pulver (E)
10. Horwitz (S)
11. Foketi (K)
14. Wilde (J)
15. Kellaway (S)

pretty spot on team, will be hard to pick for the 7 spot. With the centres i would keep Milne and Moeroa together and Stewart and Barclay together, and as Lee said it would take a brave selector to leave Stewart out of 1s meaning having the Newington boys in the 2s but id expected all four to be playing in a NSW team. Another option could be to play Barclay on the wing but i doubt that will happen. Pulver was a stand out at the 7s tournament and probably the best half ive seen this year, Lussick wasnt great against Joeys and Curtains just come back from injury so id expect to see Pulver at 9. The GPS 2s backline is going to be strong no doubt.

G

gps guru

First time poster, long time reader,
Does anyone have any idea for GPS 2's?

S

Steve McGregor

can someone tell me about the combination between the two centers from Newington i have not seen a ga e of theirs but have heard people raving on constantly about the two. can some one elaborate in more detail what their strengths and weaknesses are?

also someone mentioned in a early post that if the weather conditions were different that joeys backs would run riot with their "skillful" backs. how so?

was their any standouts from the view vs kings game?

how did their 2nds go?

joeys are still my number one prediction and maybe shore being the dark horse this year (view what a dissapointment)

S

Steve McGregor

pretty spot on team, will be hard to pick for the 7 spot. With the centres i would keep Milne and Moeroa together and Stewart and Barclay together, and as Lee said it would take a brave selector to leave Stewart out of 1s meaning having the Newington boys in the 2s but id expected all four to be playing in a NSW team. Another option could be to play Barclay on the wing but i doubt that will happen. Pulver was a stand out at the 7s tournament and probably the best half ive seen this year, Lussick wasnt great against Joeys and Curtains just come back from injury so id expect to see Pulver at 9. The GPS 2s backline is going to be strong no doubt.

i would have to agree most certainly with this team except for Barclay. he could possibly be the most overrated player this year. his defense and attack are both pretty average i was suprised about his selection last year over the behemoth 13 from newington last year and will be suprised if he gets it over the other 13s in the comp

I

International Badboy

Yes but as stated it would be a brave selector to not pick him as he was picked last year

Status
Not open for further replies.