• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
feeling this should be said again, do u think that its appropriate to notice that both schools that the most Aus. schoolboy representatives have 'fallen behind' so to speak and not preformed well enough respectively in their GPS teams and/or got injured due to the amount of gameplay and training they have been given?? If Newington had the amount of reps as Riverview, i wonder if things would've changed and their current position in the competition being changed, such is for Riverview who is coming 6th i think??

One factor here may be that the NSW and Australian Schools teams are now selected before a single GPS competition game has been played. What that means is that the representative sides are chosen substantially (though not, of course, entirely) on reputations and last year's form. It used to be possible for someone who was not well-known in Year 11 to have a very strong season in Year 12 and break through to the representative games. No longer. One consequence of this could be that the players who are given representative jerseys in June or July turn out not to be the players who are in form in August.

I'm not pointing the finger at any individuals here, just observing that these days, being an Australian Schools player has no direct connection to form in the GPS competition.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One factor here may be that the NSW and Australian Schools teams are now selected before a single GPS competition game has been played. What that means is that the representative sides are chosen substantially (though not, of course, entirely) on reputations and last year's form. It used to be possible for someone who was not well-known in Year 11 to have a very strong season in Year 12 and break through to the representative games. No longer. One consequence of this could be that the players who are given representative jerseys in June or July turn out not to be the players who are in form in August.

I'm not pointing the finger at any individuals here, just observing that these days, being an Australian Schools player has no direct connection to form in the GPS competition.

I reckon there is some force in this except that it may not entirely fit the bill.
Pulver, the Shore halfback, was behind Merriman in the 2's last year: it seems unlikely that he would have been picked on reputation from that position but I am not up on which halves were coming back for a 2nd year in 1s.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
any injury update in relation to Shore v Joeys game? Ie is Swager out? And Buckling out? Hopefully not, as would love to see a full strength game, as thinking Riverview is too injury depleted to have a chance against a Newington team ....

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
IS, what Snort is saying is correct. If we use Pulver from Shore as an example he was not selected in the GPS 1s as he was only in the Shore 2nds and also 3rds last year. He scraped into the Combined States team from where he was then selected for Aussie Schools.

A contrary example was Horwitz for Scots. Early in the season he wasn't playing well, but still made it into the GPS 1sts. Because of his reputation as well as being in a very strong team (GPS 1s) he was selected for NSW. After being a reserve in the Tonga test he was not selected in the Aussie touring team. Only later in the season did he start to play well for Scots and show glimpses of what he can do.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
any injury update in relation to Shore v Joeys game? Ie is Swager out? And Buckling out? Hopefully not, as would love to see a full strength game, as thinking Riverview is too injury depleted to have a chance against a Newington team ..

Hey SDW, injury shouldn't be a concern for VIEW. Shore were considered "gone" due to the hammering they received by Scots after several players left the field. The following week the team (without some regular players and others limping onto the paddock) took to the field and took on NEW to play a thriller. It was all about heart and toughness. VIEW has the capacity to take on NEW and finish the season by showing us all of what they are capable of and what might have been. Forget about who is in or out and focus on playing the game to win.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
on the scots v kings game ... scots could yet choke. I saw the St Augustines game and the Kings Trial ... and I think Kings knows that while scots inner backs are good ... their wingers while good in attack, are super nervous in defence ... and Kellaway spent most of his season covering up their misses .... just my opinion

so you never know it might be a round of upsets ... but with Newington's league stars I can't see View getting up

anyone looking to buy some future stars (into GPS) should have seen this years Zetland's under 12s team ... the Scots and Newington coachs would be in a buying war for their number 6 ... massive free running islander

there is some good footage on Youtube ... Zetland v Maroubra .... for interested parties :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, what Snort is saying is correct. If we use Pulver from Shore as an example he was not selected in the GPS 1s as he was only in the Shore 2nds and also 3rds last year. He scraped into the Combined States team from where he was then selected for Aussie Schools.

A contrary example was Horwitz for Scots. Early in the season he wasn't playing well, but still made it into the GPS 1sts. Because of his reputation as well as being in a very strong team (GPS 1s) he was selected for NSW. After being a reserve in the Tonga test he was not selected in the Aussie touring team. Only later in the season did he start to play well for Scots and show glimpses of what he can do.
Except that how did Pulver even come to their attention if he was playing 2 and 3's in 2011? They must have based it on something they saw this year - surely?
The whole thing is stuffed - your chances of making a GPS team are determined in year 11 and, if you weren't around the "big boys" in year 11 for whatever reason then youre immediately behind the 8 ball.
I guess thats true of most junior sport up to a point but do they have to actually make it even less fair than it otherwise might be?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
[quote="

there is some good footage on Youtube . Zetland v Maroubra .. for interested parties :)[/quote]

couldnt see it,want to post a actual link?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hey Southsider, sorry looks like the Youtube has been removed. Only way to see this kid I guess is to get a copy of the Mod Footy Grand Finals tape from Souths. I reckon this kid is better than what Beale was when he got plucked from Mt Druitt's Tigers .... either way my money is on Newington to pick him up, as they seem to be doing a good job at spotting league talento_O

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Given Gillard is throwing $ around .. I reckon Sydney Boys High should "bolt on" a selective sports stream

and at least that way each age group, would have a star studded team of (mostly) league players, who could give the silver spooners a run for their money

and the wider SBH kids could at least trial for the SBH A team

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Hey Southsider, sorry looks like the Youtube has been removed. Only way to see this kid I guess is to get a copy of the Mod Footy Grand Finals tape from Souths. I reckon this kid is better than what Beale was when he got plucked from Mt Druitt's Tigers .. either way my money is on Newington to pick him up, as they seem to be doing a good job at spotting league talento_O

bugga, but seeing as thats my old school i dont have too much problem with that :cool:

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)

hang on, not to point any fingers at any thing but would not be interesting to look at the current GPS ladder and see how they are positioned with the amount of Aus. school representatives, this is where i was basing my opinion on.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Crikey. Look at how the Wobs are selected (ignoring the pro/anti Deans, Pro Tahs/anti Reds vs Anti Tahs/pro Reds nonsense).

They do not wait until the S15 is completed before announcing the Wobs squad. Once the initial squad is announced, some players force their way in based on form, and others get dropped.

Same with GPS, NSW, and Aust Schoolboy reps. Select on what is seen and what has been seen. Adjust and fine tune afterwards.

Remember the old adage that a champion team will always beat a team of champions. Also remember that members of a champion team at one level may not have the necessary skills to perform as a champion at the next level up the representative scale.

This is why there are disparities between #s of School boy reps in certain teams and the eventual position of those school 1st XV's on the competition table.

Agent

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think you are being a bit hard on them JD! some teams rely on their talent to get results (e.g. Scots) whereas others may lack talent and rely on drive and determination to get them through, such as in Shore's case. Just because it is this that is driving them doesn't make them inferior to the teams stacked with the 'star' players.

Anyway, from what I saw on Saturday, I would now expect Scots to beat Kings (who were clearly struggling without their stars) and Joeys to be too strong for Shore. Assuming Newington beat View, this would result in the following final ladder:

1. Newington..14
2. Scots..12
3. Joeys..10
4. Shore..8
5. Kings..6
6. View..4
7. Grammar..2

I think that ranking of the teams is an appropriate outcome for this season.

To suggest Shore doesn't rely on their talent is a bit far fetched! Shore relies on their talent as well as drive and determination. Shore develops talent - they may not have all the big 'star' firepower - but let be said that the talent Shore has they have developed themselves and haven't found through the use of 'talent' scouts

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It could be argued that many of the Shore Talent were already rather talented when they entered Shore in prep or yr 7 (without any form of coercion).

shore has provided a platform for those talented athletes to continue to develop their talent and demonstrate their skills. The talent development has not solely come from Shore. Plenty of the shore boys play club footy up to U16's and participate in ARU JGS/NGS development.

E

earl

In regards to what KOB1987 said earlier, this frustrates me week in and week out. Every week the shore boys show a relentless determination to win, backed up by a consistency of talent among the side yet every week people continue to doubt their ability. They've just come off a loss against Newington which came down to a penalty goal by Lussick (despite their multiple injuries in the fowards - Rickard, Cooke, Fletcher) yet people still expect a loss against Joeys.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think I may have been misinterpreted, I think you should all go back and read it again in the context of john dales post that i was replying to. I wasnt suggesting the shore players don't have talent, just that they aren't a team stacked with 'stars'. I was speaking in their defense, not being critical.

I saw joeys play on the weekend and they have the home ground advantage this week, that's the basis of why I am tipping them. If it was at northbridge I would probably have tipped the other way and won't be surprised if shore win.

Out.

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
In the Newington/Shore Game Oscar Pryor Lees left the field in the first half and appeared to be in a great deal of pain. I wondering if any New Supporters know his status. It would be a pity for Oscar to miss his last game ever playing for Newington.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
shore have really under-acheived over the years

other than some 2nds comp wins back in the 80s, they have failed to use their depth

not sure if it the culture or the coaching or something else

I know Shore will probably rightly say they don't buy rep players

I think it might be politics, as

if memory serves me those wins in the 80s were care of Chris Hawkins

and I cannot work out how a future Waratahs coach wasn't allowed to coach the 1sts!

oh well with Neville Emery's grand-son coming through, it will be interesting to see if Shore can get their act together

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
In the Newington/Shore Game Oscar Pryor Lees left the field in the first half and appeared to be in a great deal of pain. I wondering if any New Supporters know his status. It would be a pity for Oscar to miss his last game ever playing for Newington.

Oscar Pryor is injury and will not play this Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.