• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Joeys cut ham sandwiches lunches were of sterner stuff today as they beat the tandoori sausage rolls of Waitara 56-10. No details yet but the after game function was well received as the lamb pies were eagerly consumed. Early favourite for pie of the year goes to the CAS.

2Lamb-and-Mint-Pea-Pies460x250.jpg

@Joker, While a well constructed lamb pie is a thing of beauty I don't know that we can let pies made from the lesser farmyard quadrupeds into the judging of POTY. POTY has been the domain of the King of farmyard animals - The bovine quadruped!

A lamb pie would be like including Donald Trump in an Episode of Pick the Intelligent life-form. It just ain't gunna fly!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
@Azzuri. The POTY competition is the unheralded competition of the GPS. Last year I believe it was the beef and Camembert pie of Kings that inspired the judges to use superlatives not seen since the heady days of the 1963 Royal Easter show when Merle Abercrombie of Lower Portland combined the essence of all what is good of rugby. Honest sweat matched with superior skill with a crust so delicate that even a baby's bottom was considered rough. Roll on 2016.

df2d331208501cef1d01b100073a3384.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
@Joker, While well constructed lamb pie is a thing of beauty I don't know that we can let pies made from the lesser farmyard quadrupeds into the judging of POTY. POTY has been the domain of the King of farmyard animals - The bovine quadruped!

A lamb pie would be like including Donald Trump in an Episode of Pick the Intelligent life-form. It just ain't gunna fly!

I don't know Azzuri, those little lambe pies look decidedly tasty.:)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't know Azzuri, those little lambe pies look decidedly tasty.:)

I grant you that @ QH and yes I admit to licking the screen as they did look very tasty. But allowing a lamb pie into the POTY judging is a huge mistake imho. We all saw what happened to Rugby when we allowed the Trojan horse full of women,hairdressers, nail artists and baton twirlers into the game and numbered them 9 through 15.

The game was changed forever, from a manly sporting endeavour between majestic apex predators to a handbag hurling competition. Do we seriously need to drive another emasculating nail into the (rats) coffin by introducing a lesser (albeit tasty) species? Let's allow the late, great Merle Abercromie to rest in peace and get the POTY back on track by ensuring this prestigious award reflects the essence of our game - PURE BEEF!

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Some nice rugby played at the Grammar Sch Tens Tournament yesterday, even if it lacked some beef pie with the ten a side format [^^]. The games were kept short [like sevens] otherwise the forwards would struggle;). The new Weigall pitch looked great and it was a terrific sunny day. Does anyone know if the LCD scoreboard was in arabic or sanskrit, I couldn't read any of it? I recorded some of the action, although i missed quite a few good tries. Alec Sheldon was impressive. St. Greg's Campbelltown beat Grammar in the final game, they had skill and electric pace, particularly their no. 15.

peanuts

Frank Row (1)
Some nice rugby played at the Grammar Sch Tens Tournament yesterday, even if it lacked some beef pie with the ten a side format [^^]. The games were kept short [like sevens] otherwise the forwards would struggle;). The new Weigall pitch looked great and it was a terrific sunny day. Does anyone know if the LCD scoreboard was in arabic or sanskrit, I couldn't read any of it? I recorded some of the action, although i missed quite a few good tries. Alec Sheldon was impressive. St. Greg's Campbelltown beat Grammar in the final game, they had skill and electric pace, particularly their no. 15.

Granted the grounding at 4:08 was questionable as the slow motion showed, but I definitely believe there was downward pressure on the ball when it was first placed.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
welcome back sidesteppa, the pie gag is growing a bit stale

so some of your footage is much appreciated :)

.... Joeys looking ridiculously strong ... and going for clean sweep in 2016, across all age groups ... hard to see any chinks in the armour

and can't think of a single A team that Joeys isn't favourites

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
.. Joeys looking ridiculous across all age groups. hard to see

.....a single A team that Joeys is favourites

Yeah you guys let's get serious as there is no place for levity in something like the life and death struggle that is AAGPS schoolboy Rugby. (Although I will award @SDW a commendation for his "stale" pun in the great POTY debate.)

I do however admit to a wry smile reading the amazingly bullish proclamation that after one non GPS trial that the Joe Boys will sweep all before them in season 2016. Now clearly this was tongue in cheek so I've taken the liberty of revising the post/quote to reflect the current state of play.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yeah you guys let's get serious as there is no place for levity in something like the life and death struggle that is AAGPS schoolboy Rugby. (Although I will award @SDW a commendation for his "stale" pun in the great POTY debate.

Stale pies.:eek:

Now that's un-Australian.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)

Jeez, Rixon has some serious wheels.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
D

Full time here at Kings. With the sky blue and white running out winners 51-10 against Cranbrook. Kings finishing last 10 mins with 13 men due to two yellow cards.

I hear the big, tall fullback that I saw playing 2nds for TKS v SJC last year had a whale of a game in the firsts yesterday.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I hear the big, tall fullback that I saw playing 2nds for TKS v SJC last year had a whale of a game in the firsts yesterday.

Yes indeed @QH....Luke Osbourne..... a real asset to the squad. Fast, elusive and at around 6ft 6 will hopefully create a host of headaches and sleepless nights for the opposition in 2016.

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
High lost to St Pius 1st XV yesterday 50-7. Early indications that High may once again struggle in the 3rd XV comp this year.

Dr Lamb-burp

Frank Row (1)
welcome back sidesteppa, the pie gag is growing a bit stale

so some of your footage is much appreciated :)

.. Joeys looking ridiculously strong . and going for clean sweep in 2016, across all age groups . hard to see any chinks in the armour

and can't think of a single A team that Joeys isn't favourites
One school winning everything wow what a nice well balanced competition we have.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sheldon looks really good. The rest of the grammar squad looks less impressive. Looked like high cut scored some good tries against them.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Barker v St Joseph’s
I popped up to Barker to watch what I was expecting to be a white wash. The GPS thread has Joey’s as a real contender this year while Barker must rebuild from being at the bottom of the CAS ladder in 2015.
The 2nds showed spirit but lost 50/7 with Joey’s no 7 Paddy Dalton a standout. (He would walk into any CAS 1st XV side) Their no 10 Lachlan Day would also be amongst the first picked with a deadly accurate boot (6 from 7 conversions) and speed to burn. (Depth: the joys of attending Australia’s no 1 rugby nursey)
During the warm up, the Joey’s 1st XV boys looked strong, fit, mobile and very skilled. They worked their set piece with military precision. There was no exceptionally tall lads in their forwards but they certainly worked well as a unit.
Barker’s forward have added some bulk this year with Anstey, Woodgate and Webb providing some much needed starch to a reliable and solid front row.
An unforced error on kick off from Barker (one of many during the game) handed the momentum to Joey’s. Despite Joey’s winning their own scrums and lineouts with ease, the Barker forwards really scrapped it out. Hard hits by the Barker forwards and some desperate tackling by the backs, kept the Joey’s lads at bay. Sything runs by No8 Miti Tuinakauvadra and Capt no 13 Yirrbi Jaffer-Williams were repelled, many times only metres from the Barker try line. The inevitability of a cricket score was very real, but as yet unrealised.
Barker then started to link some phases. The forwards made the lads in cerise tackle. The Barker backs, although not as skilled or as fast as Joey’s, made solid inroads into the opposition. The Barker forwards had their tails up. After 18 minutes of good rugby, a rolling maul by the reds, gave Barker no9 David Tejcek some rare front foot ball. A bullet pass to no 10 Jayden Kitchener and Barker was over for the first score of the game.
Unfortunately Jayden was badly injured in the collision on the try line. A lengthy delay ensued while he was attended to. Apparently it was an accidental blow to the neck shoulder. Both teams are to be congratulated on their concern and applause when Jayden was taken from the field.
With their No 10 gone, Barkers 2nd XV no 10 came on. Having played a full and torrid game already, being thrust into this cauldron was a big ask.
The game started to turn. Joey’s with more possession and with speed and power, made light work of scoring tries. From this writers view the entire Joey’s back line would have been selected as the CAS 1st back line in 2015. Their ability to step off either foot, retain possession at the tackle and keep ball in hand across the park was a delight to watch.
Wingers Jacob Patmore and Joey Kandalaft were brilliant as was No18 (sorry for the no name here).
With Barker a man down in the sin bin, Joeys started racking up the tries, with No 10 Ryley Angus-Corke kicking goals from all corners of the park. The inevitability was unfolding.
With the scoreboard ticking over for Joey’s, the outcome became abundantly clear. This game proved to be a solid hit out for the Joey’s pack and the opportunity for a slick well drilled backline to strut their stuff. No doubt much sterner opposition awaits Joey’s in the GPS comp.
Barker did not give up, and eventually put reserve back no 19 (Mackensie Newell) over for a late try.
The wrap up from this writers view is that Joey’s will be a contender in the GPS comp in 2016. Their only weakness is a lack of tall timber to contest opposition line outs. The rest of the team is very solid and they have some class in the backs to make life difficult for any opposition schools team.

For Barker, there is a lot to be excited about. The forwards will hold their own this year in the CAS comp, and the backs have some good young players in Van Woerkom, Marais, Grundy and Tejcek to keep the scoreboard attendant busy through the year. Here’s hoping young Jayden is ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.