• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Suburban Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Absolutely - they are affiliated with the Old Boys Union and in teh last 20 years have seen some very good old boys play for the club - the likes of Tim Noonan, Nick Hill, Richie Maher, Tim Eisenhour, Rob Palmer (before and after TV fame) they also pick up some very talented ex Joeys boys and have had plenty of good protestant recruits over the years.

Any atheists?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
There is no mention of St George either!

I cant believe a month out from the start of the season they haven't got their act together!
Spoke to a couple of coaches from St George - they believe that they will fill the 12th spot in Division 3. Subbies have taken a number of clubs off the list, simply because they are not sure what division they will play in.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Spoke to a couple of coaches from St George - they believe that they will fill the 12th spot in Division 3. Subbies have taken a number of clubs off the list, simply because they are not sure what division they will play in.

The last time they were in Div 3 they did have a battle with numbers, esp for away games!

Woopsie

Peter Burge (5)
Player incentives

– for years the club has tried
various ways of recognising that our players should
be rewarded for their efforts..
..to offer those playing 1st

Grade $50.00 for each run on game
played, win, lose or draw. This payment will be
made to those who have paid fees and meet the
training requirements of the Club Coach.

I don't necessarily have an issue with "player incentives", given the competition for talent etc etc. But for a Div 3 Subbies Club?!!?!?
If it is sustainable - more power to them, but if someone chooses to play for you because of money, they will choose to play somewhere else for more. It is hard to shut Pandora's box...she is insatiable!!

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Is this from a specific club????

Player incentives

– for years the club has tried
various ways of recognising that our players should
be rewarded for their efforts..
..to offer those playing 1st

Grade $50.00 for each run on game
played, win, lose or draw. This payment will be
made to those who have paid fees and meet the
training requirements of the Club Coach.

I don't necessarily have an issue with "player incentives", given the competition for talent etc etc. But for a Div 3 Subbies Club?!!?!?
If it is sustainable - more power to them, but if someone chooses to play for you because of money, they will choose to play somewhere else for more. It is hard to shut Pandora's box...she is insatiable!!
?????

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Good luck to them. They would be better off just putting the money on the bar after each home game.

How can any club afford to do this? After the problems the lions have had over the last few years i am surprised they are going down this route.

They have a large catchment area all the way north to Berowra and they might even get a few from the Central Coast. Not sure why they need to pay players!

Woopsie

Peter Burge (5)
Incentive to get players to pay their fee's...They give them the $50 and they will spend it at the pub at the after match function anyway.

An incentive to pay their fees of let's say on average $350 is one thing, but if a player starts for 1st Grade in all 18 games, he will walk away with $900 for the season, win lose or draw.

So the club brings in ($350 x 15) of which most goes out immediately for jerseys, kit, insurance and then pays out ($900 x 15) as player incentive, so on this deal, the club is likely to lose up to ($1200x 15) over the course of the season, being cost recovery + player incentive.

So, to make that back just from the profit margin from all colts and grade players (fees) at an average of $50 per player profit, Hornsby would need to have 360 registered and fully financial players.

I am not sure if they have their own clubhouse/bar that would help recoup some of that money paid out, but for a Div 3 Subbies team that is surrounded by other subbies clubs, Premier Clubs at Gordon and Eastwood?!?!?

I guess it is a short to medium term investment aimed at attracting talent in order to hopefully climb back through the Divisions?

I truly hope it works out for them..

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
If you have money to burn then it's far better to pay an administrator than a player. For any poor bugger who's taken on a coaching or committee role, add between 20-30 hours to your working week.

With just one full-time administrator supported by committee; chasing up players, organising physios, events, sponsors, dealing with councils, ordering food and drink for the next game, paperwork for the State Unions and ARU; a club could run so smoothly that the players would just find playing an absolute breeze. "Herding Cats" is an understatement.

Disclosure: I'm one of those idiot administrators and coaches

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
St George confirmed today as the 12th team in Division 3.

Also, onto the Hornsby discussion, word around the traps is that they are in a real bind at the moment. While their newsletter says they have good numbers at training, there is a real concern about the quality of what they have.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
St George confirmed today as the 12th team in Division 3.

Also, onto the Hornsby discussion, word around the traps is that they are in a real bind at the moment. While their newsletter says they have good numbers at training, there is a real concern about the quality of what they have.

I really cant understand what the issue is with them. They have a catchment area that is huge, and there is no longer a rugby league team in Hornsby, although the Asquith Magpies are right on their door!

They should be a powerhouse club!

But paying players has too be a slippery slide!

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
The mighty barker old boys are trialling against colleagues this weekend. I hear bobs will be fielding a stronger 5ths this year with a lot of colts also turning up. Not sure what the depth in the middle grades will be like though.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
The mighty barker old boys are trialling against colleagues this weekend. I hear bobs will be fielding a stronger 5ths this year with a lot of colts also turning up. Not sure what the depth in the middle grades will be like though.

Crashy are you still taking up the coaching reins with 5's? Did you get to training during the week with Robbie Deans being there?

Good to hear that we have depth again!!!!

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Prodigy's Epping Rams host Barbarian's Kings Old Boys at Somerville Oval, Epping next Saturday the 31st.

Barbarian, it looks as if we will have four grades, possibly a fifth grade, but no colts - how are you guys stacking up?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We'll have four grades and a colts.

We had a good hit-out against St Ives on Saturday at Kings. Manged to get up in every game, which was a little bit unexpected for us as it was our 1st trial and St Ives had already played 2. Plus we were missing quite a few regulars.

So the early signs look good, and it was a great boost to club morale after a lean season last year. But we don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves, it's going to be farking tough in 2nd div this year.

Looking forward to playing your mob Prodigy, how are you guys shaping up?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Pretty good - still yet to trial with alot of our guys due to cricket and stuff. So Saturday will be the same for us.... we have alot of new players, so it is exciting times! We'll have to wait and see though

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Any idea who was trialling at Wentworth Park on Saturday? Saw them on the way to the SFS... I thought Kings Old Boys trained there?

Status
Not open for further replies.