• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Olympic 7's

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I turned it on right as they threw that absolute shitter of a pass under no pressure.

Fucken 'ell. my fault.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why aren't kicks used as an exit strategy in 7s more? If they are hulks just turn them around.

because its a possession. The ball is king!

Anyone clear on what that result now means? I assume we are now on track to face the kiwis in the semis

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anyone clear on what that result now means? I assume we are now on track to face the kiwis in the semis

If we get past Fiji. Which is no sure thing the way both teams are playing. Fijiana have really come on in leaps and bounds the last couple of years.

Like our first couple of games, we used lots of passing to try and avoid contact zones, but jeez we looked like headless chickens at times. Should have used a couple of kicks through to turn them around - not as exit strategies, and create space for our faster players.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah the restarts might have been the difference, especially in the second half.
I think they were just too strong.
Caslick is not the dominant force she once was, which brings us right back to the pack.
not resting star players against the minnows of the pool, demonstrates we are nowhere near the level that most supporters think we are.(and how the standards across the board have improved)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think they were just too strong.
Caslick is not the dominant force she once was, which brings us right back to the pack.
not resting star players against the minnows of the pool, demonstrates we are nowhere near the level that most supporters think we are.(and how the standards across the board have improved)

I don't think resting players was really the issue considering the time between matches, and it wasn't like either game was a gut-buster.

You're right about the rising standards, but we still should have won that game. We should have put them away, either in the first half (Tonegato dropping the ball with the line open springs to mind), or once we were up 12-0.

We'll do well to win a medal from here.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My point about resting players was about the coaches lack of confidence in his squad.
if he thinks he needs his rock stars to see out the minnows, we are not the gold medal contenders that many people assume.

And we scored just after Tonegato dropped the ball, so that error had no impact on the scoreboard.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it's 7s and the Olympics. You don't rest players. You play your best available. Every game is crucial to a medal.