• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Boy oh boy has this post missed the mark.

First: Milne and Moeroa were both centres, not No.8s

Second: I wouldn't describe Harley Fox as a "big" athletic Number 8 - at 6 foot peanuts, he's going to wind up in the front row eventually. I hope for his development's sake it's sooner rather than later - it was the same decision confronting the similarly sized James Slipper at around the same age.

Third: Not sure where you're getting your "every five years" number? athletic bruisers have always been dime a dozen in Queensland Rugby.

Emry Pere (TSS 14/15), Ben Gunter (BBC 13/14/15), Jamason Fa'anana-Schultz (IGS 12/13), Lolo Fakaosilea (BBC 12), Adam Korcyzk (BSHS 11/12), David Findlay-Henaway (TSS 11/12), Maclean Jones (NC 12/13), Jayden Rodwell (NC 12/13), Anton Minnecko (TGS 11/12), Evander Guttenbeil (TSS 12/13), Joel Brown (TSS 13). Daniel Sitanilei (GT 2012). Reece Hewat (NC 13/14/15). Lachie Oppenheimer (Churchie 11/12).

Not to mention players in other positions that could easily be subbed in to 8 in the last five years..

Angus Scott-Young (Churchie 13/14). Phil Potgieter (TGS 11/12). Ben Laxon (GT 12/13). Tom Perkins (TSS 13). Jake Upfield (TSS 12/13). Izack Rodda (IGS 13/14). Jacob Elordi (NC 14). Emmanuel Meafou (IGS 14). Tipene Mavoa (TSS 14/15). Luke Papworth (TSS 12/13). Kareem Tuuga (BBC 13/14). Bronson Tuuakipulu (BBC 12/13).

I could literally go on forever. Physicality in the forwards has never been an issue for Queensland selectors.

That's not even mentioning quality Number 8s that wouldn't be described bruisers.

Jack Cornelson, Trey Kemp, Paddy Dooley (all BGS, 2012-2014) were all skillful toilers. George Cox from GT, Rhys Martin from TGS, Tuaina Tualima from BSHS.

Fair points King.

Two recent hard men to impress me have been Angus Leahy (NC 2007) and Jarad Butler (TSS 2007-08). they were fair players, not dirty players but hard over the ball and tremendously effective role players in their teams and at higher levels. Old timers may recall one of the scariest Q schools No 8s was Ryan Creedy of IGS in 1994. He went on to the fringes of the Reds and many A grade games for Sunnybank. Tough, tough man. Rocky Elsom had a similar aura about him back in his NC days around 2000. One player I have never rated but who seemed to be seen as a bit of a tough guy for a while at 1st XV level was Levi A'umua from BGS a few years back. "looked like Tarzan, played like Jane" could have been written for him. Of course for Curtis Browning from BSHS 2009-10 - 11 to be engaging in the forward battles he was as a Year 10 for 1st XV, Qld and Australia defies belief. It certainly makes a mockery of the current two year window stuff. Good enough is old enough I say.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Fair points King.

One player I have never rated but who seemed to be seen as a bit of a tough guy for a while at 1st XV level was Levi A'umua from BGS a few years back. "looked like Tarzan, played like Jane" could have been written for him.

Fair points yourself Mondays Expert - but I just can't stand by and watch the sacrilege of one of my all-time sporting heroes in Levi Aumua.

Aumua was the heart and soul of the BGS pack, and his "follow me into the trenches" attitude was the first foray into success that BGS had post-2009.

I'd go even further to stay Aumua's play in 2011 inspired the next generation of BGS players to believe they had it in them to take the premiership in 2012.

If you wanted to talk about imports influencing Rugby traditions at a school, here's your case in point.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)

Second: I wouldn't describe Harley Fox as a "big" athletic Number 8 - at 6 foot peanuts, he's going to wind up in the front row eventually. I hope for his development's sake it's sooner rather than later - it was the same decision confronting the similarly sized James Slipper at around the same age.

Third: Not sure where you're getting your "every five years" number? athletic bruisers have always been dime a dozen in Queensland Rugby.

Emry Pere (TSS 14/15), Ben Gunter (BBC 13/14/15), Jamason Fa'anana-Schultz (IGS 12/13), Lolo Fakaosilea (BBC 12), Adam Korcyzk (BSHS 11/12), David Findlay-Henaway (TSS 11/12), Maclean Jones (NC 12/13), Jayden Rodwell (NC 12/13), Anton Minnecko (TGS 11/12), Evander Guttenbeil (TSS 12/13), Joel Brown (TSS 13). Daniel Sitanilei (GT 2012). Reece Hewat (NC 13/14/15). Lachie Oppenheimer (Churchie 11/12).

Not to mention players in other positions that could easily be subbed in to 8 in the last five years..

Angus Scott-Young (Churchie 13/14). Phil Potgieter (TGS 11/12). Ben Laxon (GT 12/13). Tom Perkins (TSS 13). Jake Upfield (TSS 12/13). Izack Rodda (IGS 13/14). Jacob Elordi (NC 14). Emmanuel Meafou (IGS 14). Tipene Mavoa (TSS 14/15). Luke Papworth (TSS 12/13). Kareem Tuuga (BBC 13/14). Bronson Tuuakipulu (BBC 12/13).

I could literally go on forever. Physicality in the forwards has never been an issue for Queensland selectors.

That's not even mentioning quality Number 8s that wouldn't be described bruisers.

Jack Cornelson, Trey Kemp, Paddy Dooley (all BGS, 2012-2014) were all skillful toilers. George Cox from GT, Rhys Martin from TGS, Tuaina Tualima from BSHS.

i think you both have good points.
But B&W is correct that other than Hewatt there is no big tackle bustling number 8
he is also right that aussie rugby is losing too many of its stars to NRL
ie- where is Shambuka Vui this year? aussie schoolboy last year and Ipswich NRL this year

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
i think you both have good points.
But B&W is correct that other than Hewatt there is no big tacle bustling number 8
he is also right that aussie rugby is losing too many of its stars to NRL
ie- where is Shambuka Vui this year? aussie schoolboy last year and Ipswich NRL this year

(Linespeed beat to me to the punch)

Ben Gunter and Emry Pere are running around for school - the tackle busters are there, it seems the selectors have chosen to overlook them in favour of tackling machines off the bench like James MacMillan .

If QLD 2 reserve loosie Justin Sikimeti is any relation to Nudgee's Aussie Schoolboy prop Dylan Sikimeti then I imagine he's got a fair bit of tackle-busting ability about him.

Correct me if I'm wrong but QLD 2 hooker Unga Wolske played 8 last year for Ipswich, right? Dallas Flanagan was the first choice hooker.

If Hewat goes down there are options around.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
(Linespeed beat to me to the punch)

Ben Gunter and Emry Pere are running around for school - the tackle busters are there, it seems the selectors have chosen to overlook them in favour of tackling machines off the bench like James MacMillan .

If QLD 2 reserve loosie Justin Sikimeti is any relation to Nudgee's Aussie Schoolboy prop Dylan Sikimeti then I imagine he's got a fair bit of tackle-busting ability about him.

Correct me if I'm wrong but QLD 2 hooker Unga Wolske played 8 last year for Ipswich, right? Dallas Flanagan was the first choice hooker.

If Hewat goes down there are options around.

Yes Unga has previously been a #8 and a #12. Yes relation to Dylan, and does have the same ball carrying traits as his relative. IGS have a nice problem with both Wolske and Maafu being the starting hookers for Queensland 2 and Queensland 1 respectively, it'll be interesting to see what happens there. Combined States team announced - I believe Cam Halliday from BGS given a jersey at #9 following, IMO, solid performance's at the State Trials. @WebbEllis - got a say on this one?

QLDRuggerz

Frank Row (1)

jacob Elordi doesn't play 1st xv at Nudgee this year he will be seconds

OU812

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes Unga has previously been a #8 and a #12. Yes relation to Dylan, and does have the same ball carrying traits as his relative. IGS have a nice problem with both Wolske and Maafu being the starting hookers for Queensland 2 and Queensland 1 respectively, it'll be interesting to see what happens there. Combined States team announced - I believe Cam Halliday from BGS given a jersey at #9 following, IMO, solid performance's at the State Trials. @WebbEllis - got a say on this one?

I'd also like to see Marty Koorts get a call up as well, I'm guessing size goes against him but he's goer and consistanly gives 120% much like James MacMillan.

QLDRuggerz

Frank Row (1)
looks like NC for all their denials have a truckload of new boys in under 14 . bshs thrashed them last year.
i went out to East Bne to watch ACGs v BBC. for a team that played 4 or 5 matches in Japan i was very disappointed in BBC. Croft completly outplayed his bbc opposite and the BBC scrum was under pressure. i was expecting big things from BBC 15 because The King gave him a wrap but he did nothing.
it was only when Ikatu came on in 2 nd half that BBC kicked away.ACGS impressed me with a very tall forward pack. and with the giant Sua back should not be discounted.

Nudgee u14 team did not get any imports but only got players from b's, c's and d's from last year

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
jacob Elordi doesn't play 1st xv at Nudgee this year he will be seconds

I was under the impression he and Nick Jeffries were last year's starting lock pairing. Is that not the case?

In other news, Quade Cooper has officially played his last game for the Queensland Reds.

The latest episode of the Sam Greene Rugby Documentary came out today, on which I appear to discuss the GPS Rugby competition for 2012 - in particular, the rivalries between the flyhalves then and now with Quade out of the picture.

Former Terrace flyhalf James Dalgleish is one of three favourites to claim the mantle from Quade, alongside Grammar's Sam Greene.

It's a cracking episode, so give it a watch

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Fair points yourself Mondays Expert - but I just can't stand by and watch the sacrilege of one of my all-time sporting heroes in Levi Aumua.

Aumua was the heart and soul of the BGS pack, and his "follow me into the trenches" attitude was the first foray into success that BGS had post-2009.

I'd go even further to stay Aumua's play in 2011 inspired the next generation of BGS players to believe they had it in them to take the premiership in 2012.

If you wanted to talk about imports influencing Rugby traditions at a school, here's your case in point.

Hi King.

We are all entitled to our opinions. I would like to put these points to you.

1. Anyone who has a tape like this about themselves is obviously dealing with some self esteem issues. What is it with BGS? Sam Greene also has a doco that seeks to portray him on par with Michael Lynagh- get over yourselves Grammar - 3 premierships since 1979 hardly make you a rugby powerhouse!
2. I'm not sure who the team in red is ( I know it isn't IGS or GT - a touring side?) or the the team in green(St Pats?Villa?) but he is obviously a flat track bully in those matches against lesser opponents.
3. I note a lot of his highlight reel work comes as a seagull out in the centres, he was very contact averse as I recall.
4. I'm interested that the really big teams of his time - BSHS ACGS and TSS do not seem to have any highlights from him. I think this comes back to my point 2 above.
5. It is obvious that some of his involvements set up tries or see him score them but what the tape does not show is the fact that he will often not do much more per half than one big "watch me" run and then do very little else. How easily rugby spectators issue these plaudits to imposters while much harder workers toil unheralded. More often than not, his teams were doing the hard forward work with a 7 man pack because he was always resting in the backs. I recall assisting a mate who was a 1st XV coach who wanted some opinions on BGS and he passed me a couple of tapes a few years ago and that was what I saw for myself.

I guess that means we sign off as agreeing to disagree.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
"I could be wrong but I never saw a class no. 10 tonight which is a problem if we gonna face NSW. Tactical kicking, decision making under pressure, maybe tomorrow prove me wrong." - the breakdown

I thought that the #10 Stewart had a good game in the first (Chairman's XV) game and an even better game on Day 2 against GPS 1. I think he's a no fuss, quality #10 and think he deserved his selection. He did everything you have asked above, probably not as clinical in the game you saw first up

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Hi King.

1. Anyone who has a tape like this about themselves is obviously dealing with some self esteem issues. What is it with BGS? Sam Greene also has a doco that seeks to portray him on par with Michael Lynagh- get over yourselves Grammar - 3 premierships since 1979 hardly make you a rugby powerhouse!
2. I'm not sure who the team in red is ( I know it isn't IGS or GT - a touring side?) or the the team in green(St Pats?Villa?) but he is obviously a flat track bully in those matches against lesser opponents.
3. I note a lot of his highlight reel work comes as a seagull out in the centres, he was very contact averse as I recall.
4. I'm interested that the really big teams of his time - BSHS ACGS and TSS do not seem to have any highlights from him. I think this comes back to my point 2 above.
5. It is obvious that some of his involvements set up tries or see him score them but what the tape does not show is the fact that he will often not do much more per half than one big "watch me" run and then do very little else. How easily rugby spectators issue these plaudits to imposters while much harder workers toil unheralded. More often than not, his teams were doing the hard forward work with a 7 man pack because he was always resting in the backs. I recall assisting a mate who was a 1st XV coach who wanted some opinions on BGS and he passed me a couple of tapes a few years ago and that was what I saw for myself.

I guess that means we sign off as agreeing to disagree.

Since you are the Monday Expert, I guess it's an appropriate time to talk. Since I'm the SamoanNo8, I guess this is an appropriate person to talk about. Levi was an absolute beast and I watched him for about 2 years. Your words about Levi not doing "much more per half than one big "watch me" run and then do very little else", is completely wrong. He had a very high work rate and was a menace in the breakdown. Certainly not contact averse. And his ball running, well...speed of a centre and power of a front rower. He lifted the moral of a First XV team which had been struggling, and really did inspire hope in the younger boys of BGS (e.g. 2012 cohort) that they could dominate at First XV level. BGS might not be a rugby powerhouse, but they are certainly not walkovers (yeah yeah whatever talk about Churchie last year, that's not the point). BGS consistently have a 50 or above winning percentage each week across all fixtures, and with Mooney at the helm that figure should only rise from here.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
I agree The sage, he was the best 10 in the trials however not real class, still, we gotta work with it. Hopefully 8 & 9 can create a good foundation. Back 3 should be a force to reckon with some quality ball, what u reckon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Hi King.

In a global rugby community, highlights tapes like the one I shared above aren't just a stroking of the highlighted's ego - nor are they a symptom of low self esteem.

Aumua's highlight video is a recruitment tool designed to further a career in sport - one that I assume has worked, given his progression through the Bronco's U20s, Queensland Reds U20s and now Union Bordeaux Begles in France - incidentally, playing on the wing with teammates Adam Ashley-Cooper, Luke Braid, Ole Avei, and Sekope Kepu in 2016.

On Greene's documentary: it's designed to capture the rapid rise of a young prodigy. With McIntyre and Dalgleish in front of him, I don't expect Sam to start for the Reds in 2016 - and no one else should, either.

But in case he does, this documentary will capture the build up. It's already documents his freak upset of Nudgee. It documents his MVP nominated season for Wests in 2013. It documents his Queensland Reds debut and his shattering of Elton Flatley's most-points-in-a-match-for-Brothers record. If it captures him winning the Hospital Cup as a 20-year old and going on to start for an NRC team, I'd hazard a guess to say he's been just about the best person in Queensland Rugby there is to document!

This seems eerily similar to people knocking Cristiano Ronaldo's goals records just because he scores penalties and hat-tricks against bad teams. Do you expect him not to score them?

If Aumua wasn't a flat track bully I'd be concerned - the saving grace is that he wasn't just a flat track bully.

With regards to missing tape from ACGS, BBC etc, Aumua was injured midway through the season with a lower back injury. Grant Davies, the flyhalf, was also sidelined through that time with a shoulder injury.

BGS were undefeated right up until they played Churchie in 2011, after which they lost every game, finishing fourth. I put to you that the reason they lost those matches was because Aumua and Davies were missing.

All up, I think we mostly agree, Monday's Expert! Aumua was contact averse in that he maybe didn't hit 100% of rucks - but that's because he was a converted League centre/winger, playing eight.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
As far as I'm aware Elordi has played possibly one game for NC first XV probably at trail in TSS this year. I hear a lot about this guy, but have only seen him play one trail!

He has not, as far as I can tell, ever played a game for the First XV, but I hear from some old boys he is the best thing ever!! A complete enigma to me.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Because it was Jackson Evans and Nick Jeffries in the second row, with Tom Zappala at seven! That makes much more sense. I was thinking of Jeffries as a number 8 potential convert. He's the little brother of Rebels lock Sam Jeffries. And Agassi Stowers played six.

All coming back to me :) thats been bugging me for a while

EDIT: Am I right in saying Elordi made GPS 2 and the Queensland 16s in 2014? Poor bloke - imagine having that resume and still not cracking the First XV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.