• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it's hard to read anything into trial form, especially with the pre-season that clubs have had in Brisbane this year.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
I hear the colts 1 game between wests and easts is on a 7.55am.....that would suck

Yep, Easts can only use the main field this week due to the last round of cricket fixtures so to fit all the games in they start at 7.55am and keep on rolling throughout the day.

Going to make it a very long day considering I'll be going straight from Easts to Suncorp for the Reds game.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Yep, Easts can only use the main field this week due to the last round of cricket fixtures so to fit all the games in they start at 7.55am and keep on rolling throughout the day.

Going to make it a very long day considering I'll be going straight from Easts to Suncorp for the Reds game.

Scott have you heard how the wests colts are shaping this year. As a unit are they looking strong for both colts 1 and prems? after a few years of struggling to field teams.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Scott have you heard how the wests colts are shaping this year. As a unit are they looking strong for both colts 1 and prems? after a few years of struggling to field teams.

They're looking pretty good - numbers at training support two teams.

As everyone knows a club has to have good Colts feeding through into grades and that's been a weakness at Wests for some time.

As part of changes at Wests this year, Colts have been working very closely with the Premier squad so we've had a chance to get a close look at players and there are some good quality players that we are looking forward to developing over the next couple of years - never know might even see a few getting a crack in Prems this year.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Just had a look at the National Academy teams on the other thread. Was wondering if anyone could give me a brief on Sam Fatall and Jonah Placid, both listed as Easts players for this season.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Jeez easts are like the warratahs of premier rugby.....spend all their M̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ .......excellent club culture to get players. But never seem to get anything but disappointment for it

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Jeez easts are like the warratahs of premier rugby...spend all their M̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ ...excellent club culture to get players. But never seem to get anything but disappointment for it

Ha-ha, where would easts get that money from mate? As I recall a few years back, they weren't going along so well financially!

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I said excellent club culture......point is with Jonah placid they are looking even more potent, and coupled with the other acquisitions easts have made anything less than a great appearance is failure. To answer tigerland12 question he is a very handy player. The way in which he runs you can he has played a bit of league but if you can improve his tactical kicking he will be a very good player for prems.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I said excellent club culture..point is with Jonah placid they are looking even more potent, and coupled with the other acquisitions easts have made anything less than a great appearance is failure. To answer tigerland12 question he is a very handy player. The way in which he runs you can he has played a bit of league but if you can improve his tactical kicking he will be a very good player for prems.
Would he be pushing for a starting spot, or would Mansell, Wilder, Faulkner be too good for him to break into the back three at this stage?

Good to be building some depth in the backs now.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Honestly he is probably up to it and from what I seen he is better than uj (they are different style players though). However due to easts depth they aren't really that desperate for him so I would personally blood him for a few games in colts if he stands out elevate him.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Honestly he is probably up to it and from what I seen he is better than uj (they are different style players though). However due to easts depth they aren't really that desperate for him so I would personally blood him for a few games in colts if he stands out elevate him.
Fuck thanks for reminding me that we have to watch UJ cock up every two seconds this year. Hopefully he has fixed up his play and become more mature in his decision making. I would love to see him used as a ball running/kicking 12, and not so much a distributor. He's strong in contact and is a big boy for his age. Plus when he plays fullback, he doesnt seem to handle the pressure. That being said, I wouldn't have him currently in the starting 15 (maybe at 12, with Sean Cox at fullback).

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I really think alot of the Easts players apart from the EPS and Reds contracted ones are overhyped. Particularly the National Academy members. They are just good talented young players who are given extra coaching and resources by the ARU but they aren't necessarily any better then most other prem grade or prem colts players and would attract any sort of financial incentive from clubs.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I really think alot of the Easts players apart from the EPS and Reds contracted ones are overhyped. Particularly the National Academy members. They are just good talented young players who are given extra coaching and resources by the ARU but they aren't necessarily any better then most other prem grade or prem colts players and would attract any sort of financial incentive from clubs.

Couldn't agree more, I know that Brothers awards players who have been at the club for a while in regards to selection for the Prems.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Finally, we can play some rugby!

Our first trial for Wests tomorrow against Easts with our final trial against Norths last week.

Like all clubs the lack of field training time has been a pain in the neck - hopefully the rain gods will give us all a break now.

Some good news this week for Dan Linde who has been signed again to play in Japan. Obviously we'll miss him but he deserves to get another contract - good player and a good bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.