• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
For mine I would prefer we don't put anyone on a contract until we see 2 seasons of QPR (colts or seniors) out of them.
Let them grow into their bodies, get beat up a bit and learn what life is about outside a bubble (school or pro team).
This will also put some value in QPR and drive a bit of hunger for those that want to turn pro.

Remember most schoolboys play about 12 -15 games a year, then when they get to clubland or pro ranks they are needed to perform 25-30 games. Big step up especially when the hits are harder and faster.
Good luck retaining anyone.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Good luck retaining anyone.
I think we can all agree that it seems like the reds stop looking at guys. Who clearly can play in favour of the PATHWAY they should be able to walk and chew gum at tha same time.
For mine the smart play would be invite a guy into training for a couple of weeks to see how he trains it would let guys know they are being noticed and the hard work is paying off.
It would cost some kit and that is about it so would be cheap.

the important thing is that playing Suoer Rugby is that it should be seen as a meritocracy.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I heard on the weekend that George Francis’ manager had been busy shopping him around looking for a professional contract.
At last count he has got “no thanks” from Reds, Waratahs, Rebels, Moana Pasifica, & Tonga (for RWC23). And he was in Canberra about 4 years ago before he came to Brisbane - so you can add the Brumbies to this list.
There must be something a miss because when fit and firing he is a beast - after the 2020 grand final he was selected in the Aust A team. It is a shame to see this unfulfilled potential.
I know George’s management team, they aren’t exactly well known for being selective with the teams they target for their players.

Big Georgie must want to stay local because otherwise I imagine they’d have shipped him off to a third division French team by now just to get him generating some dollars.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
For mine the smart play would be invite a guy into training for a couple of weeks to see how he trains it would let guys know they are being noticed and the hard work is paying off.
It would cost some kit and that is about it so would be cheap.
I am fairly sure they already hold these sessions as part of a pre pre season type thing before and just after Christmas. Kind of like a wider training squad before the super and club seasons kick-off.

Part of the problem with getting blokes in during the season for sessions is most of the club players are strictly amateur, as in they've got jobs and families outside of rugby. If they're already training 2-3 times a week, plus gym sessions for their club, finding time to get some worthwhile sessions at the Reds would be quite taxing.

To your point though, each club in QPR has a bye week. Maybe the Reds could look at getting a half dozen blokes from each club to attend Reds training during their clubs bye weeks, that way they aren't double dipping on sessions or missing the leadup to games with their club. As you say, chuck them some kit and a pat on the back and say you're doing well. Doesn't take much.

The reality is, with overseas money coming thick and fast, the Super Rugby clubs are going to lose more of that middle tier of already developed professional player. Getting a decent look at 30 odd club players across the course of a season in their own training environment will be crucial to help them fill the gaps each year.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I am fairly sure they already hold these sessions as part of a pre pre season type thing before and just after Christmas. Kind of like a wider training squad before the super and club seasons kick-off.

Part of the problem with getting blokes in during the season for sessions is most of the club players are strictly amateur, as in they've got jobs and families outside of rugby. If they're already training 2-3 times a week, plus gym sessions for their club, finding time to get some worthwhile sessions at the Reds would be quite taxing.

To your point though, each club in QPR has a bye week. Maybe the Reds could look at getting a half dozen blokes from each club to attend Reds training during their clubs bye weeks, that way they aren't double dipping on sessions or missing the leadup to games with their club. As you say, chuck them some kit and a pat on the back and say you're doing well. Doesn't take much.

The reality is, with overseas money coming thick and fast, the Super Rugby clubs are going to lose more of that middle tier of already developed professional player. Getting a decent look at 30 odd club players across the course of a season in their own training environment will be crucial to help them fill the gaps each year.
From what I have seen the past 5-6 years is a focus on the Junior Pathway Academy fellas to move onto the senior reds squad.
Some of these have not proven themselves IMHO. I dont see schoolboy rugby as the best development paddock to step to Super Rugby.
What happens is a fella misses out on a reds contract so joins a club with the express intent of moving offshore IE Dalgleish, Gordon etc.

I think we need to keep as many of these fellas here as possible and that will take making QPR a semi - professional operation. The Reds (Super rugby) can then have a larger pool of battle hardened players to select from instead of Schoolboys who have been wrapped in cotton wool for 2 -3 years.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It would be strange for Lynagh not to play Prems being on a full time Super Rugby contract. If he starts in Colts he is further off than we think.
U20 Wallabies are in camp in ACT so that maybe the reason he didn’t play on the weekend. Is he part of the squad?
I thought he might have been in the squads previously but it doesn't look like he was this time:

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Definitely no attendance on camp 1 either. Passport problem? Injury? Can anyone confirm Lynagh’s attendance at training at UQ? Colts or Prems.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Definitely no attendance on camp 1 either. Passport problem? Injury? Can anyone confirm Lynagh’s attendance at training at UQ? Colts or Prems.
He played the first trial and then the Reds A trial I’m pretty sure. He has definitely been in the country and at the Reds.

Maybe they deported him though when he refused to play premier grade.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
From what I have seen the past 5-6 years is a focus on the Junior Pathway Academy fellas to move onto the senior reds squad.
Some of these have not proven themselves IMHO. I dont see schoolboy rugby as the best development paddock to step to Super Rugby.
What happens is a fella misses out on a reds contract so joins a club with the express intent of moving offshore IE Dalgleish, Gordon etc.

I think we need to keep as many of these fellas here as possible and that will take making QPR a semi - professional operation. The Reds (Super rugby) can then have a larger pool of battle hardened players to select from instead of Schoolboys who have been wrapped in cotton wool for 2 -3 years.
The Reds under Thorn as head coach have chosen heaps of players who have performed in the Hospital Cup. It's something Thorn talks about often, it's the nucleus of his squad and mantra. Your argument was valid during the RG years but way off mark at the present.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

The Reds under Thorn as head coach have chosen heaps of players who have performed in the Hospital Cup. It's something Thorn talks about often, it's the nucleus of his squad and mantra. Your argument was valid during the RG years but way off mark at the present.
Have a look at who he has contracted in the wider group ie all the younger ones Annan, Aubrey, Blake etc

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Have a look at who he has contracted in the wider group ie all the younger ones Annan, Aubrey, Blake etc
Those players aren't Wider Training Squad, they're all Reds Academy, which is specifically setup to bring on age group players through to the pros. Are you saying we shouldn't have an Academy to specifically manage the guys up to and through u20s?

I'm pretty sure the wider training squad/extended training squad dropped away across the board with covid related cuts, if not a year or two before. I'm not sure how much choice the reds have in the matter given salary cap considerations. Personally I'd like to see it return outside the standard cap with a fairly strict cap on individual salary but generous allowance on player numbers, but that only really makes sense if there's a proper third tier running for those players to play in as pros/semi-pros.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Yep - I'm happy to be corrected but I'm fairly certain blokes like Paisami, Daugunu, Henry, Flook, Hoopert, Campbell and Faessler were all picked based on club rugby form (and some NRC) and those blokes have made up a fair chunk of the 23 each week for the last couple of seasons.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm pretty sure the wider training squad/extended training squad dropped away across the board with covid related cuts, if not a year or two before. I'm not sure how much choice the reds have in the matter given salary cap considerations. Personally I'd like to see it return outside the standard cap with a fairly strict cap on individual salary but generous allowance on player numbers, but that only really makes sense if there's a proper third tier running for those players to play in as pros/semi-pros.
Didn't they up doing that pool of wider training players for Aussie Super Rugby teams this year? A COVID contingency.

For example I'm pretty sure Faessler was technically signed up with Randwick (brought down there from Brothers by Pup McCormack) when he was brought into the Reds squad but it was above board because he was in a special collective of players.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Didn't they up doing that pool of wider training players for Aussie Super Rugby teams this year? A COVID contingency.

For example I'm pretty sure Faessler was technically signed up with Randwick (brought down there from Brothers by Pup McCormack) when he was brought into the Reds squad but it was above board because he was in a special collective of players.
Yeah, apparently they bought back some sort of limited contingency pool of club players this year, but actual details have been really slim so I don't know the specifics of it.

manwithcaninhand

Peter Burge (5)
Not surprised.
The last few times I have been to David Wilson Field I couldn't wait to get out of there. Have seen some pretty average slanging directed at all sorts of players.
Now I sit on the opposite side to the grandstand and don't open my wallet there.
B29B1801-27E7-44D3-ABC1-2B1A2E039E12.gif

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Yep - I'm happy to be corrected but I'm fairly certain blokes like Paisami, Daugunu, Henry, Flook, Hoopert, Campbell and Faessler were all picked based on club rugby form (and some NRC) and those blokes have made up a fair chunk of the 23 each week for the last couple of seasons.
Add Smith, Vest, Blyth and all the props bar Nella, Asiata. I'm sure there are more to add and possibly a couple gone. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) played a few years prems before taking the step up. A lot of the current lads had the NRC as a stepping stone to I guess.