• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Some of them will some of them wont, but reckon they should be left in clubland for a year or two before being put into a professional outfit. Lets see if they have the metal to play 30 plus games a year instead of the 12 schoolboys ones in a season. Let them play with folk a bit older and wiser ( tougher) and see what happens before committing time and $$$$ to them.

We'd probably be sitting here complaining about losing young talent to other franchises (or other codes) if they don't get some of these high performing kids on academy contracts. Floyd, for example, didn't get signed while in school, but after starring in Colts 1 and a few cameos in 1st Grade. I believe a few more of those boys were the same.

I dare say we will be seeing a lot (if not all) of those names be playing in club rugby this year, on top of the Reds training they are doing.
Sure, it's may not be absolutely perfect, but I'm not sure a wait-and-see approach is the best way forward either

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Some of them will some of them wont, but reckon they should be left in clubland for a year or two before being put into a professional outfit. Lets see if they have the metal to play 30 plus games a year instead of the 12 schoolboys ones in a season. Let them play with folk a bit older and wiser ( tougher) and see what happens before committing time and $$$$ to them.

It's an argument that gets raised on these forums every year, and I agree it's hard to judge a player before they properly play at professional/adult level, but that's what these academy and development programs are for.

The reality is, players with ability are being scouted at high school level across various codes. If a rugby team didn't give Aubrey a contract for example, there were three NRL teams looking to throw him some coin and lock him up.

Sports is a professional game these days and rugby has the unfortunate position of being the poorest code in the fight to retain players.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
We'd probably be sitting here complaining about losing young talent to other franchises (or other codes) if they don't get some of these high performing kids on academy contracts. Floyd, for example, didn't get signed while in school, but after starring in Colts 1 and a few cameos in 1st Grade. I believe a few more of those boys were the same.
He was signed in November 2020 - whilst still in school

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
What would solve the problem is more merit games so these players can get properly benchmarked against peer.
Possible v Probable

NZ do this very well.

Last edited:

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
What would solve the problem is more merit games so these players can get properly benchmarked against peer.
Possible v Probable

NZ do this very well.
Gents personally I think the real argument is that if there is a directive from the pro teams that these guys have to play Premier Grade. Frankly if there is a player at club level who is outperforming the Acadamy player they should be selected to play in front of them.
I can mention several times when a Reds player has come down to Club level and been poor with no consequences. It creates a level of entitlement. Every level should be selected on merit and if their level is Reggie’s at there club then so be it work hard and get better.
i can certainly tell you it creates disharmony among the club playing group as the know who gives them the best chance of winning.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
So you are saying that out of Floyd Aubrey, Taj Annan, Carsen Patu, George Blake, Wilson Blyth, Keynan Tauakipulu and Lopeti Faifua none will make it as a professional?

They are currently contracted, so I guess they are already a professional rugby players. Whether they have a long and successful career who knows. But from what I've seen of them to date there's others in their respective clubs that should be ahead of them in the pecking order for playing Prems. We'll find out shortly how much they've progressed through the off season and if they deserve top billing.

To save confusion, I should of added the word "Currently"..."Some of those Academy players Currently would be lucky to play Reggies......". Whether they deserve their Prem spot in the future, we will find out. But like Happyman Stated the club should pick the best player. The Reds shouldn't be able to dictate to the club you need to play X player in Prems, unless of course they come to an agreement with the club they are a "feeder" club for them and are remunerated as such, which maybe the clubs already are.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The issue in more recent times (say last 8-10 years) with the annual world U20s is that these guys get put on no club rugby edict so that they don't get injured playing club rugby ahead of the championships.

And then in the last few years we've seen the advent of the Super U20s which has also taken them away from clubland.

At the end of the day the stars ultimately play little club rugby in those first few years out of school.

The smarter clubs tend to play them in colts initially and then slowly expose them to Premier grade as the season goes on, because a full season in Prems (particularly the forwards) is too hard on their still growing and developing bodies.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
They are currently contracted, so I guess they are already a professional rugby players. Whether they have a long and successful career who knows. But from what I've seen of them to date there's others in their respective clubs that should be ahead of them in the pecking order for playing Prems. We'll find out shortly how much they've progressed through the off season and if they deserve top billing.

To save confusion, I should of added the word "Currently"..."Some of those Academy players Currently would be lucky to play Reggies......". Whether they deserve their Prem spot in the future, we will find out. But like Happyman Stated the club should pick the best player. The Reds shouldn't be able to dictate to the club you need to play X player in Prems, unless of course they come to an agreement with the club they are a "feeder" club for them and are remunerated as such, which maybe the clubs already are.
You said 90% of academy players don't pan out. Those players are the reds academy players so I call bullsh*t. I agree that it isn't an exact science but I would actually say rugby do a better job than league based on total opportunities.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
What's your figure then? That 90% do? Have a look at the churn (outside of Thorn's group that he has taken through from the U18s.) I'll stick to 3 or 4 making it to the Reds from the academy each year. The vast majority don't.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
You said 90% of academy players don't pan out. Those players are the reds academy players so I call bullsh*t. I agree that it isn't an exact science but I would actually say rugby do a better job than league based on total opportunities.
Hard to compare league to rugby here.

Arguably rugby have to be more particular with who they sign. I agree with the general point that more rugby development players work out. But the NRL teams are casting huge nets - like bringing multiple players to Australia from NZ at u14/15 level and hoping they work out. No doubt a lot of them don’t, but they’ve lost nothing.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
I found this to be quite interesting and thought some others might too. Cricket Victoria had Michael Hussey independently review it's selection and contracting processes.

A number of the issues raised, if not all, reminded me of current and previous Queensland/Australian rugby concerns raised in G&G threads over the years. It seems our game isn't so unique after all!

1645791548404.png

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I’ve heard Brothers have lots of depth in the forwards this year, a number of 1st/2nd grade guys who had taken a year or so off have returned.

Also the rumours increasing that Ben McCormack could be headed back there in 2023. As mentioned earlier in this thread, he got married last year and apparently his wife isn’t heading back to Sydney as her business is QLD based.

A coach of his quality would likely bring a number of SS fellas to the Filth if he were to return. Although the SS is being hit harder than QPR by the MLR raiders so there is plenty of opportunity down there at the moment.