• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Reds v Fiji Drua Sun 19-3-23

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Going forward the Reds scheduling won't get any easier with the inclusion of the Dolphins either

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
As has already been said there's only so much say the Reds (or any other team) have in the scheduling. Hopefully this will improve when the competition management moves on from SANZAAR to a fit for purpose body, some of the decisions seem pretty obvious - e.g. don't play an afternoon game in QLD before April.

The Dolphins got 32k to Suncorp on a Sunday arvo and then sold out Redcliffe Stadium (10k) the following Saturday afternoon.

The Titans managed to get 15k this Saturday in probably the hottest conditions of the weekend and then the Cowboys got 17k in the game after.

I think it's more don't have your first Suncorp home game on a Sunday arvo in QLD before April - the Reds had built no engagement with their home town fans and then expected them to roll up for this game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The Dolphins got 32k to Suncorp on a Sunday arvo and then sold out Redcliffe Stadium (10k) the following Saturday afternoon.

The Titans managed to get 15k this Saturday in probably the hottest conditions of the weekend and then the Cowboys got 17k in the game after.

I think it's more don't have your first Suncorp home game on a Sunday arvo in QLD before April - the Reds had built no engagement with their home town fans and then expected them to roll up for this game.
It's not impossible to draw the crowds at all but it stands as lost opportunity. The ~13k number people have reported is actually not that bad with respect to the trend last season, but it seems pretty likely the weather kept it lower than it could have been.

As far as League goes they also have more games to fit into fewer time zones and more QLD home teams to contend with. I'd argue that in a perfect world they wouldn't have scheduled so many afternoon games in SEQ at this early stage.

Certainly the stadium sharing presents an issue, but part of the solution for that is being much more proactive in scheduling is a big part of the solution to that. To end up with a situation where there is no Friday night prime time game in the Australian time zone certainly seems like a bit of a screw up.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Well he made several pretty silly mistakes. That said, it wasn't unique to him so maybe he was still up there in the MotM stakes.
Other Reds players have selected by many as player of the match this season with plenty of errors too.

For me Wright was the best player on field

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I know this was raised as a point of contention for hosting Super Round, but if the NRL can manage to facilitate multiple games in a day all based out of Suncorp for Magic Round, surely our rugby teams can manage to do a majority of their warmup in the ample indoor facilities and then use the field briefly when available.

I'm trying to think of other incentives they can offer to make sure the spectators hang around for both games - maybe a voucher for discount food/drinks that only becomes valid after the Reds kickoff?
I think it should be a double header every week, with the women's game.

I would love to see the women's game after the men's game to get them used to larger crowds.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Sunday arvo game in mid-March probably wasn't the best decision
I think the poor crowds also depend on who they are playing, if you can only afford a couple of games a year then you have to choose which ones have the most appeal.

For me I would have-
1- ACT
2- Brumbies
3- NSW
4 - Force
5- Rebels
6- NZ teams (all equal to me)
7- Moana Pacifica
8 - Fiji

For me this game only held appeal due to being a Reds fan.

If ACT or NSW play Fiji I have a little interest and would only watch the whole game if it was a night game, for an afternoon I would watch the 25 minute mini game.

If it was Force or Rebels I would only watch the 5 minute highlights.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think the poor crowds also depend on who they are playing, if you can only afford a couple of games a year then you have to choose which ones have the most appeal.

For me I would have-
1- ACT
2- Brumbies
3- NSW
4 - Force
5- Rebels
7- Moana Pacifica
8 - Fiji

If ACT or NSW play Fiji I have a little interest and would only watch the whole game if it was a night game, for an afternoon I would watch the 25 minute mini game.

Personally I can't split ACT and the Brumbies, don't know how you were able to choose which one you preferred...

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Now that I have seen the highlights a number of the reds tries had incredibly suspect passes. The support runners are running extremely flat and overrunning the ball carrier - not a matter of the pass drfiting forwards due to the speed of the carrier.

A different referee might have some issues with that and it's likely to cost some games.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - I think our first 3 tries all had line ball passes in them. It wasn’t our finest game - that’s did sure.

Plenty of times I’ve thought calls could’ve gone our way. Happy to take a bit of good fortune and run with it.

Reactions: gel

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)

For me I would have-
1- ACT
2- Brumbies
3- NSW
4 - Force
5- Rebels
7- Moana Pacifica
8 - Fiji

Fiji last? Geez, I reckon they're the most entertaining team in the comp. Great fan base to.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fiji last? Geez, I reckon they're the most entertaining team in the comp. Great fan base to.

Yeah Fiji right up there. In fact more broadly I think Drua, Crusaders and Blues (maybe Canes too) are head of the Rebels and Force from a crowd perspective. But that’s more because more opposition fans come.

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yeah Fiji right up there. In fact more broadly I think Drua, Crusaders and Blues (maybe Canes too) are head of the Rebels and Force from a crowd perspective. But that’s more because more opposition fans come.
Yep, Kiwi fans are always in force. Too often outnumbering local fans. The thing I like most about the Fijian fans is they're purely there for the enjoyment of the game. It's really refreshing.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Yep, Kiwi fans are always in force. Too often outnumbering local fans. The thing I like most about the Fijian fans is they're purely there for the enjoyment of the game. It's really refreshing.
But in NZ the numbers aren't so good. Maybe the incomes for subcriptions/memberships are high but I can't see sold out stadiums over there

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
But in NZ the numbers aren't so good. Maybe the incomes for subcriptions/memberships are high but I can't see sold out stadiums over there
Yeah that's a hard one to quantify. Maybe they just get the motivation here as a chance to get into Aussie fans.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
if you can only afford a couple of games a year then you have to choose which ones have the most appeal.

For me I would have-
1- ACT Raiders
2- Brumbies
3- NSW
4 - Force
5- Rebels
7- Moana Pacifica
8 - Fiji
I caught you. You are a Mungo! Lol

Last edited: