• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Reds v Fiji Drua Sun 19-3-23

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This is easily the dumbest game of rugby I’ve seen Wilson play!
Continually battering the defensive line is not the sort of play that will get him back into the Wallabies. Haring down the sideline to score is what he needs to do more often. He just doesn;t have the same ability to break the defence or get through the line as Valetini or Gleeson (or for that matter, Hardwick).

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
What is official crowd numbers?
Only about 13.5k as per the announcement at the ground. Staff were letting pundits move into the shade, thankfully, which packed the Western side in the lower deck.

Reds marketing team will have to work hard to get ticket sales with more competition at Suncorp this year. Hindsight is 20-20 but the decision to begin the season in Townsville against an opposition that doesn't traditionally pull mass crowds and then have an afternoon game in mid March, again against a team that does not bring a lot of fans, has left a lot of money on the table. Though, I am not sure how much influence the Reds have over the draw as to what time of year they play their afternoon games.

Unfortunately for the marketing team their jobs are not made easier when the games are played as they were today.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yep - I was definitely a fence sitter and then late withdrawal from this game.

After chasing kids around in 30+ degrees all weekend I couldn’t be bothered sitting in a stadium when I could watch this from the comfort of my aircon, a few of my mates went and said the atmosphere was good, lots of Fijian support, but way too hot.

I’m having a mind blank but did they have drinks breaks today? I know the NRL did for some games this weekend due to heat.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Continually battering the defensive line is not the sort of play that will get him back into the Wallabies. Haring down the sideline to score is what he needs to do more often. He just doesn;t have the same ability to break the defence or get through the line as Valetini or Gleeson (or for that matter, Hardwick).
Did you just say “ haring down the sideline to score” ? Does that make him an effective #8 in your world?

Would much prefer a #8 to be doing a few more things than being a big winger!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yep - I was definitely a fence sitter and then late withdrawal from this game.

After chasing kids around in 30+ degrees all weekend I couldn’t be bothered sitting in a stadium when I could watch this from the comfort of my aircon, a few of my mates went and said the atmosphere was good, lots of Fijian support, but way too hot.

I’m having a mind blank but did they have drinks breaks today? I know the NRL did for some games this weekend due to heat.
No, it was noticeable that there wasn't one (I think both teams have to agree to it?). That said, it was quite a bit cooler in the shade than it has been this weekend, felt like mid to high 20's rather than the 30's

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Spare a thought for Rusty. I saw him in the crowd, would have been horrible in the suit today.

Scary thing is, the Broncos and Dolphins game on Friday is close to a sell out.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm still miffed out how Flipio got pinged for tackling a player in the air.
We commented on that one at the game too - all I can think of is it was due to him putting out his hand out of self preservation.

If he'd stayed focussed on contesting the ball only it should have been play on (but he'd have likely been hammered by the fijiian guy)

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
It just seemed like we found ever way we could do blow a try. Our driving maul seemed able to make good metres - but we got done for obstruction on one 5 meter lineout and overthrew another. Flook was home and he tried to catch one handed. Wilson overran the pass with an easy draw and pass to score. We created numbers twice with backline strike plays and O’Connors passes hit the turf. I feel like I still missed at least 1 botched try.

Then there were the other plays like Campbell’s tackle before the ball came down, O’Connors charge down off the re-start, Wilson passing into McReights face, and Campbell’s cross field kick when we were in our 22. Our lineout generally.

But - we got the biscuits. Annan got a staring debut and Lynagh got experience closing out a game. Nonggorr got another one under his belt and O’Connor got match fitness in a high tempo game.

Hopefully we get Petaia back next week and hopefully we are very close to getting back a few of the injured players.
Good post mate.

Reactions: TSR

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
you must be quoting someone else. I didn't say they struggled with the heat.
My mistake.

Everything else in that post except the "hot as buggery" part indicated the struggle the Reds had to overcome to get the "good win".

I just assumed it was also another kind of struggle they faced.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If Wilson gets another crack at a Wallabies jersey it won’t be primarily because of his work on the touch line - although he does run a good line and has generally good hands (still needs to respect possession a bit more).

It’ll be because of his high work rate, tackle accuracy and proficiency at the break down - although I would prefer he attacked the ball a bit more.

When Rennie came out a few years ago and made public comments about the feedback he gave players I thought it was a good thing. In hindsight it was snippets of info that have given people something to hang their hat on.

There is far more to Wilson than a battering ram at the line and focusing on one aspect of his game like that is as daft as focusing on one element of the game of any other player.